What's new

First grade will learn English starting April 8 in KPK

CrazyPaki

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
PESHAWAR: Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s (PTI) intended agenda of introducing a uniform curriculum and education system in all schools of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) will take practical shape from Tuesday, April 8 when the new academic year begins.

Upon their return from spring holidays, grade one students of government schools will be welcomed by a new medium of instruction, i.e. English. Textbooks on General Knowledge and Mathematics have already been printed in English.

The PTI-led coalition government intends to extend the change in language to grade 10 with the passage of each academic year.

Jamil-Hussain.jpg

After coming into power last year, the PTI announced an education emergency in the province and in September held an extensive enrolment drive to increase the literacy rate in K-P. Around 142,140 children were enrolled in government schools.

Apart from the enrolment drive, the provincial government also announced it would be changing the medium of instruction in public schools from the first grade, which would then be extended to other grades over time.

The most recent annual budget also saw a 30% increase in funds allotted to the education department, giving K-P the means to change the medium of instruction for grade one.

In January, Minister for Education Muhammad Atif Khan told The Express Tribune that books had been printed and the government was almost prepared “to bring the mega change to our curriculum”.

“The government has also prepared a ‘master trainer programme’ in which 360 teachers from across the province will be trained in the first phase. The 360 master trainers will further train 23,000 teachers in due time,” said Khan.

Now, the change will come into effect once schools start next week.

Although for teachers, initially, the new medium will be difficult, the government seems to be on the right track with its training sessions to equip them to meet the challenge head-on.

According to teachers, if the syllabus had been changed across all grades at once, teaching it would have become virtually impossible for them.

The policy of revising it gradually is helpful as it enables them to learn alongside their students.

Jamil Hussain, a teacher at Government Primary School Sherkera (I), who recently participated in one such training session, said since the change was new to both teachers and students it could have been a difficult transition but the training made him comfortable with the new syllabus.

“The training has given me the confidence to talk to my students in English.

The response of students would further strengthen my confidence. Learning in English would be beneficial for them,” said Hussain.

Published in The Express Tribune, April 1st, 2014.
Back to school: Teaching in English for grade one students from next week – The Express Tribune

Cheers guys it's now official KPK leading the way. :dance3::dance3::dance3:

Why English and not Urdu? The whole of Pakistan must drop this English-medium crap; the reality is most people will NEVER grasp this language and it only ends up crippling them.
If you put effort into developing Urdu as a language, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to be the medium for education at even University level!

And by developing I mean taking foreign loan words i.e. scientific terms and whatnot, and 'Urdu-fy' them. This happens to most languages around the word.

Why English and not Urdu? The whole of Pakistan must drop this English-medium crap; the reality is most people will NEVER grasp this language and it only ends up crippling them.
If you put effort into developing Urdu as a language, then it shouldn't be a problem for it to be the medium for education at even University level!

And by developing I mean taking foreign loan words i.e. scientific terms and whatnot, and 'Urdu-fy' them. This happens to most languages around the word.
they are introducing English and not banning urdu.

the reality is most people will NEVER grasp this language and it only ends up crippling them.
Agreed man, i've seen many Pakistanis even after being with english speakers for years they are not able to grasp it. For example: Inzi.

they are introducing English and not banning urdu.

No, I know. But thing is, English should not be the main language of education in Pakistan. It should be taught as a second/third language only. I know this comes off as me being unreasonable, but Pakistan might be the only country that doesn't speak English naively yet is forcing it down people's throat because of a misconception that it is needed for 'success'.

Every successful country on earth that does not speak English natively i.e. Germany, France, Sweden, Russia, China, Japan, Turkey and several others disprove this misconception

No, I know. But thing is, English should not be the main language of education in Pakistan. It should be taught as a second/third language only. I know this comes off as me being unreasonable, but Pakistan might be the only country that doesn't speak English naively yet is forcing it down people's throat because of a misconception that it is needed for 'success'.

Every successful country on earth that does not speak English natively i.e. Germany, France, Sweden, Russia, China, Japan, Turkey and several others disprove this misconception
Actually, all those nations you mentioned teach english in one form or another. English is needed to be a success in today's world, because a third of the global population speaks English, no other language comes even close. English has become the world's most common language thanks to the British Empire, and unfortunately, Pakistan can't drop it as a language because it plays too important a part in global diplomacy and globalization efforts.

Actually, all those nations you mentioned teach english in one form or another. English is needed to be a success in today's world, because a third of the global population speaks English, no other language comes even close. English has become the world's most common language thanks to the British Empire, and unfortunately, Pakistan can't drop it as a language because it plays too important a part in global diplomacy and globalization efforts.

No no, I think you're misunderstanding. Teaching English as a second/third/fourth language is different form teaching all other subjects in English!

In high school I took Spanish as my foreign language. Only in the Spanish class did we speak it, every other subject was in English! Similarly, every other subject (geography, sciences, maths etc) taught in Pakistan other than English should be in Urdu.

This is all the British Empire's fault. That and skin bleaching.

Edit: Fixed by "That Guy"

No no, I think you're misunderstanding. Teaching English as a second/third/fourth language is different form teaching all other subjects in English!

In high school I took Spanish as my foreign language. Only in the Spanish class did we speak it, every other subject was in English! Similarly, every other subject (geography, sciences, maths etc) taught in Pakistan other than English should be in Urdu.
I don't know. Not every Pakistani wants to learn Urdu, and teaching it can be quite divisive. Teaching English puts everyone on an equal footing, and lowers any form of ethnic tensions that may arise, kind of like a moderator or mediator. It also helps students survive on the international stage.

This is all the UK's fault.
No, it's the British Empire's fault. Let's be fair here, the UK disbanded a lot of the colonial mindset that the Imperialist era created.

I don't know. Not every Pakistani wants to learn Urdu, and teaching it can be quite divisive. Teaching English puts everyone on an equal footing, and lowers any form of ethnic tensions that may arise, kind of like a moderator or mediator. It also helps students survive on the international stage.

Fair enough, let's just agree to disagree here.
That thing about Urdu creating divisions, however, is something of a shock to me. I see Urdu as language belonging to everyone and not just one or two groups.

Fair enough, let's just agree to disagree here.
That thing about Urdu creating divisions, however, is something of a shock to me. I see Urdu as language belong to everyone and not just one or two groups.
Alright. Just one last thing, there was a previous attempt to change the language from english to urdu a long time ago, but opposition from minority parties was too strong and the plan was dropped.

At last, a pakistani with b*lls!

I don't think pakistanis realise what a nation of slaves they have become with this worship of the english language.
In Europe, every single country educates its people in their own language; the russian in russian, the spanish in spanish, and so on. Not one country, the colour of whose skin is white, educates its people in a language other than their own.

The successful economies of Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Turkey and China all educate their people in their own language.

Go to the land of the brown slave and ,guess what? English becomes god's language!

people seem to be missing the point the national language will still be taught so at the end of the day every Pakistani will be fluent in 2 languages. As for the local language the they will be preserved in books if anyone is interested

Back
Top Bottom