What's new

First-ever Pakistani mango show held in Guangzhou

I don`t know what variety they are, but I found this with a quick google search..

http://www.nationalfinder.com/fruitlabels/golden.jpg

BTW, I chose the pic 'cause this is exactly how they look out the box, all shrivelled and blinged up. I sometimes wonder who long they spend in storage before making their way to shop shelves..

Anyways, I have spent most afternoon researching mangoes online and realise that the same varieties are grown in both countries. Its just that certain varieties get imported from the respective countries and the ones coming from India to the UK, albeit pricey, certainly appear to have an edge on flavour and quality. I am certain that the Kesar/Alphonso from Pakistan in no better or worse than the ones from India but importing cheaper varities probably makes better financial sense as Asians here only buy mangoes for a 'taste of home' and do not possess nuanced palates to distinguish various mango flavours and are therefore likely to opt for the cheaper option available.

However there appears to be broad consensus that Filipino mangoes are the best in the world so can we go back to discussing who has got the bigger d**k please?:woot:

i didnt even know philipines produces mangoes lol

i didnt even know philipines produces mangoes lol

This should settle it.

I should find out from my cleaner where she gets hers from:tup:

Philippine Mango is the World’s Sweetest Fruit

Philippine Mango is the World’s Sweetest Fruit

What can be considered as the world’s sweetest mango is produced in the island province of Guimaras. While other countries have different varieties of the tropical mango (Mangifera indica), none of them tastes like the superbly delicious Guimaras mango, which is a variety of the popular Carabao Mango (Manginera indica).

In 1995, the Guinness Book of World records listed the Carabao Mango as the sweetest fruit in the world. In the Philippines, mango ranks third among fruit crops in production, next to banana and pineapple. The country supplies mangoes to Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore and recently the United States. In 1995, the Philippines produced 432,322 metric tons of mangoes, with an average production of 6.35 metric tons per hectare and 250 kilograms per tree from a total production area of 68,056 hectares.

The carabao mango that made the Western Visayas Island-province of Guimaras famous has created an appetizing first-bite impression among Australians, the Mango Information Network under the Philippine Council for Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resources Research and Development (PCARRD) reported.

The news started with a taste-test held at the Philippine Embassy in Canberra, Australia where it was served to some 300 guests. The Guimaras carabao mango which is commercially known here as Philippine super mangoes is reputed for its excellent aroma, firm and almost fiber-free flesh and thin seeds that makes it mouth watering.

The Australian government has cleared the Guimaras mango’s entry to its market after strict quarantine requirements were met. Mangoes coming from the island are certified free of seed and pulp weevils. Source : Pinoy Portal Magazine

What nonsense!!Whereabouts in Wales do you live? If you live anywhere near Newport or Cardiff, go to any Asian shop there and they generally tend to have good selection of Pakistani mangoes. IIRC, they usually sell for around £ 5.99 for a box of 6.

WRT Pakistani mangoes, I was actually planning to start a topic on Indian v Pakistani mangoes (as opposed to whose got the bigger d**k topics that seem to be the norm here) as I have had the opportunity to taste mangoes from both countries sold in the UK.

Personally I prefer the Indian ones (and before you start this is not an opinion borne out of prejudice towards all things Pakistani) as they are sweeter and look more red (or dare I say 'saffron' lol) and appealing on the inside. On the flipside, they are less widely available and are marginally more expensive than Pakistani ones, which also tend to be bigger in size (mostly the 'honey' and 'chausa' varities).

You don`t have to take my word for it.. if you happen to live in London, cast your prejudices aside, take a trip down to Southall/ Eastham/Croydon and get yourself a box of Indian (Alphonso or Kesar) and Pakistani (Honey or Chausa) and compare the flavours..

Peace
I'm usually not in the UK during mango season but over the rest of the year, I haven't been able to find proper Pakistani mangoes anywhere in Cardiff(and trust me, I've looked all over). You just get those ultra ripe, slightly blackish from the inside kind that have absolutely nothing in common with the real thing. As for Indian mangoes vs Pakistani mangoes, there really isn't any definitive answer to that debate. You'll obviously like whatever suits your taste buds better and if you take a survey of random people on the street who've tried both, you'd probably end up with an equal number of people liking both varieties over the other.

Back
Top Bottom