What's new

First Batch Of 155mm SPG K9 'Vajra' Ready

K-9 has been outdated (comparing to PZH-2000) since it's inception, hence Turkish modifications to the original design. If India has the original design, which looks to be the case - it is in my opinion outdated. I also base that opinion on K-9 competing in Australian tender equipped with Turkish FCS from T-155.

T-155 always has had ability to manually sight targets. Turkish turret is designed to stow the sight within the turret when 'direct fire' is not required... It's hard to find pictures with the sight out, since 99% of the time howitzers are firing at long range distance that are out of visual detection 'indirect fire'...

in these pictures I've marked where the direct fire sight is mounted and where it's positioned out of the turret.

feeb89cc-2d50-4dd6-8943-88e1f41f662d.png

41e0f790-f533-4b9f-a6b8-52f82b3e6165.png

What India should develop or precure next is the tracked ammunition resupply vehicle.

Pzh2000 at 56 tonnes is too heavy for indian thar desert,Rann of Kutch marshes and soft soil of punjab plains.Its also enormously expensive.Army prefers vehicles of less than 50 tonne weight.

Pretty sure they come as one system.

Turkey developed it's own ARV named 'Poyraz', but from what @cyclops has posted it seems K10 ARV is within the package.

Pzh2000 at 56 tonnes is too heavy for indian thar desert,Rann of Kutch marshes and soft soil of punjab plains.Its also enormously expensive.Army prefers vehicles of less than 50 tonne weight.

K9 is an excellent howitzer, I'm just saying internal systems are outdated - Hence Turkey developing new generation of the similar platform and plan to build over 300 Firtina-II.

K9 FCS
9426340e-0d20-47ce-8c9b-dab47ecacd84.png

T-155 Firtina-I FCS
f1ab4ce6-ead7-4d70-aeb7-3b0e73701aae.png

T-155 Firtina-II FCS has yet to be revealed.

Suddenly the artillery scene will change dramatically for India.

L&T would be manufacturing the Resupply vehicle too.

NOt sure how many though. I think the first order would be for 16 resupply vehicles and later 8 more. A total of 24.

K-10%2Btracked%2BARV%2B%2526%2BAmmo%2BResupply%2BVehicle.jpg

well if it is, IMO DRDO should transfer the tech for MCIWS to private industry too like they are doing in case of NAG. That should do for the rifle tender. MCIWS was a decent weapon. If IA doesn't want multi calibre, use the same tech and alter it for single calibre weapon. Private sector can do wonders here.

Suddenly the artillery scene will change dramatically for India.
Tracked howitzers may never tastes blood,it can be useful only in our desert or Punjab region. Only a full scale war with Pakistan will turn these places to a battle ground. If we had any towed or mounted howitzers,those things can be used along loc.

well if it is, IMO DRDO should transfer the tech for MCIWS to private industry too like they are doing in case of NAG. That should do for the rifle tender. MCIWS was a decent weapon. If IA doesn't want multi calibre, use the same tech and alter it for single calibre weapon. Private sector can do wonders here.

Would be a great idea, but no one is interested in MCIWS after IA requirement change.

Would be a great idea, but no one is interested in MCIWS after IA requirement change.
That's what I said, IA's only contention was they they don't want multi calibre anymore. They did not express any displeasure with the quality of weapon in any regard. So I believe it's worthwhile to present it again as a single calibre weapon.

That's what I said, IA's only contention was they they don't want multi calibre anymore. They did not express any displeasure with the quality of weapon in any regard. So I believe it's worthwhile to present it again as a single calibre weapon.

IA eye balling foreign OEMs, barely the OFB model. Only thing that could get through is the OFB model, which is the right caliber, but not nearly has refined and tested as the other models which are already in production.

Ideally, sure for the both of us AAR in 7.62x52 and a CQB version for which tender will be designed and looked into, but none of that is happening.

Engineers are now studing the system to manufacture the same. Many welding are to be done by heating the Mattel at 150*c.

Its time for India to engage the private companies in all defense deals :) ..production lines look great not like some third grade workshop of OFBs.

That's the problem; the government due to their democratic process cannot exclude PSUs. PSU employees will strike and they will be a threat to the votes that any government gets.
Remember most government employees are in backward states and the government is the largest employers in many of these states.

Therefore, DPSUs cannot be excluded.

One option is to make them all on stock exchange and make them have their own profit and loss accounts and remove subsidies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom