What's new

Finnish Defence Forces

60214.1357442354.jpg

Due to a pact with the Soviets the Finnish were allowed to have a front line fighter in their Air Force
Hence they bought the 'trainer' Hawk from the British (which could be used as fighter when needed)

Only after the fall of the Soviet Union did they buy serious jets like the Hornet

Finnish Air Force has better jets then PAF. Nice!

Here in Finland, a pint of beer costs 5€ which is a lot for 0,5l, as you can buy a 12 pack of beer for 12€... now to the less important subjects ;) Education and healthcare are basically free. Tax % in my region is 20%, and then you add everything else to that. :P not the cheapest country to live in.

Still not as expensive as the Netherlands :/ Our rightwing government tries to cut budgets in the defense and education sector to save money for the treasury, making education even more expensive than it already is... Don't know how bad the brain drain will be but uhm... hey! At least I might meet you if I were to leave for Finland, Denmark or any other Scandinavian country if the government keeps undressing the middle income any further :)

Due to a pact with the Soviets the Finnish were allowed to have a front line fighter in their Air Force
Hence they bought the 'trainer' Hawk from the British (which could be used as fighter when needed)

Only after the fall of the Soviet Union did they buy serious jets like the Hornet

The hawks were used mostly as CAS planes after the f-18's were delivered, but these days they are only trainers, as the hornets will be upgraded to multi-role.

Nothing from the Navy or does Hollming Oy just build ships for the Russians?

Nothing from the Navy or does Hollming Oy just build ships for the Russians?

Rauma class missile boats were built by Hollming and STX Finland OY, the newer Hamina class missile boats only by STX

Before Hornets they had MiG-21 and Drakens. Pretty serious front line fighters.

nmeii-finlandj-35draken01.1357736426.jpg

nmeii-finlandmig-21fishbed01.1357736429.jpg

Due to a pact with the Soviets the Finnish were NOT allowed to have a front line fighter in their Air Force

Actually, we were allowed to have no more than 60 combat aircraft. Fighters were allowed, and the soviets even sold us fighters (MiG-21)

Here are some videos of the FDF:

Land forces
(Not an official video but a good one)
Navy
Hamina-Class missile boat
Air Forces
Guards jaeger brigade

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos of NASAMS II unveiling in Finland
Launcher:
wj301605v.jpg

wj301604v.jpg

ITO1233011HL_uu.jpg

FDC:

Hey, post video links, photos or questions about the FDF here so we will get this thread running again! :D

guess you guys were keeping some of your F-18s at Pirkkala Airport??

Suomi is a very special place for me... 2 years is a short period of time but still I consider myself a Tamperelainen :)

is it true that finland is gonna replace there Buk systems with NASAMS II
does it really worth it?

is it true that finland is gonna replace there Buk systems with NASAMS II
does it really worth it?

Yes, the NASAMS will be operational by 2015 or 2016, and the Buk will stay in storage until 2016. It is at least logistically a good deal, as we already use AMRAAM missiles on the F-18s. :)

guess you guys were keeping some of your F-18s at Pirkkala Airport??

Suomi is a very special place for me... 2 years is a short period of time but still I consider myself a Tamperelainen :)

Yes, "Hävittäjjälentolaivue 21" or Fighter jet fleet 21 operates from Pirkkala since 1986. :P

Back
Top Bottom