What's new

Finmeccanica Eyes C-27J Sales to China

aimarraul

Reaction score

By TOM KINGTON
Published: 18 Oct 2010 17:21

ROME - The CEO of Italy's Finmeccanica has said he would like to sell his firm's C-27J tactical transport aircraft to China, given that U.S. President Barack Obama has proposed the sale of C-130s to China.

China "is a country we are focusing on," Pierfrancesco Guarguaglini told Reuters on Oct. 18. "America has decided that it can sell the C-130 transport aircraft, which means we can sell the C-27J," he said.

Obama this month asked the U.S. Congress to lift a ban on export licenses for Lockheed Martin C-130s set to be used in China as part of operations to clear oil spills at sea. The C-27J, which was designed as a smaller version of the C-130J, has been sold by Finmeccanica to customers including the U.S.

Guarguaglini said that Italy's law on defense exports, known as Law 185/1990, would currently rule out selling the C-27J to China.

"We have certain limits thanks to law 185. If we get rid of these limits, China will also become a market for military sales. Otherwise it will remain a market for civil sales," he said.

By TOM KINGTON
Published: 18 Oct 2010 17:21

ROME - The CEO of Italy's Finmeccanica has said he would like to sell his firm's C-27J tactical transport aircraft to China, given that U.S. President Barack Obama has proposed the sale of C-130s to China.

China "is a country we are focusing on," Pierfrancesco Guarguaglini told Reuters on Oct. 18. "America has decided that it can sell the C-130 transport aircraft, which means we can sell the C-27J," he said.

Obama this month asked the U.S. Congress to lift a ban on export licenses for Lockheed Martin C-130s set to be used in China as part of operations to clear oil spills at sea. The C-27J, which was designed as a smaller version of the C-130J, has been sold by Finmeccanica to customers including the U.S.

Guarguaglini said that Italy's law on defense exports, known as Law 185/1990, would currently rule out selling the C-27J to China.

"We have certain limits thanks to law 185. If we get rid of these limits, China will also become a market for military sales. Otherwise it will remain a market for civil sales," he said.

The beginning of the end of EU's arms embargo against China?

The beginning of the end of EU's arms embargo against China?

If the EU drops the embargo, it means in reality there is less reason to be so "armed" in the first place and the orders will be less, and probably it will be just for transports until the local Chinese versions come online and no more orders. The Europeans got screwed by the Yanks again. But they have caught on to their situation.

Very fast response.
The CEO of Italy's Finmeccanica has said he would like to sell his firm's C-27J tactical transport aircraft to China, given that U.S. President Barack Obama has proposed the sale of C-130s to China.

I very much doubt China will be interested in C-27J. It has neither the range nor the airlift capacity for the chinese air force.

Their hearts said " I want to sell to China, I need the money, but I can't due to sanction."

It is now a reality that they are sanctioned against their own money making opportunity. Who are the losers now.

i think china will go for both systems may be they halt the american and go with italian system no time for china to let india know they have more trillions than them just joking im sure china will nto be carzy like indian when comes to buying weapons but they are cazy on getting tot which make sense too

I would rather see a chinese own C-27 (maybe J-27 ..) flying..and someday Indian companies buying chienese planes if our own industry is not able to produce one by then..getting sick of the Western supremacy on aviation industry..

the government has spoken: we aren't interested in C-130 very much. why would be interested in something smaller. We have Y-8 already.

We don't need the C-27J. We have much more advanced aircraft already, such as the Y-8 and Y-9. Our 200-ton Y-20 prototype is built this year and will fly in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom