What's new

Filthy Mayhem in India

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a river or a spring or a lake everywhere in Kerala.

I do not see it much in Indian markets.

True that. But some are seasonal. The plots next to the perennial ones might fetch the best price (my guess).

The problem with a mountainous terrain is that the soil quality is usually quite poor. The top-soil frequently gets blown away, and lacks the silt deposits that flat lands usually manage to get. The change in productivity is quite dramatic between mountainous farmland and flat irrigated plains.

How about in Kasargod? I had read sometime back that endosulfan poisoning had sent the prices of farmland and arecanut plantations crashing down. Has that recovered now?

Prices recovered, people not much.

True that. But some are seasonal. The plots next to the perennial ones might fetch the best price (my guess).

The problem with a mountainous terrain is that the soil quality is usually quite poor. The top-soil frequently gets blown away, and lacks the silt deposits that flat lands usually manage to get. The change in productivity is quite dramatic between mountainous farmland and flat irrigated plains.

How do the mountains then support one of the densest vegetations around that area? A tropical rainforest.

Spark, look at the price of land. I found many such ads. Is something fishy about these deals?

30 Acre Agriculture Property For Sale Near Kottayam, Kallara - Agricultural Land For Sale In South Kottayam - Click.in

There are bigger deals... like 500 acres+ .. not fishy..

These days its hard to get workers for rubber plantations... its a daily job starting from early morning from sunrise.. not much people and rubber price have gone down..

Even rubber price was an election subject in mountain constituencies which traditionally favours a party called Kerala Congress made up of all christian members.

Prices recovered, people not much.
it'll probably be another 20-30 years before the poison in the soil truly diffuses away and things get back to normal in the affected regions.

There are bigger deals... like 500 acres+ .. not fishy..

These days its hard to get workers for rubber plantations... its a daily job starting from early morning from sunrise.. not much people and rubber price have gone down..

Even rubber price was an election subject in mountain constituencies which traditionally favours a party called Kerala Congress made up of all christian members.

Gee if it was legally permissible for me to buy it, I would. Regenerate a whole forest there. No agricultural taxes right?

it'll probably be another 20-30 years before the poison in the soil truly diffuses away and things get back to normal in the affected regions.

Endosulphan, Malathion and other dangerous pesticides are still used in lemon,tomato,curry-leaves and other crops by poor farmers in rural tamilnadu and in many other places.

They dont get the remuneration of their hard work and middle men, wholesalers,retailers etc take their share of the profit.

Poor farmers have to bear loss if any, bad climate, poison in form of pesticides, water shortages etc.

Only if the above situation changes, the country will move forward. Until then it will remain backward and poor.

How do the mountains then support one of the densest vegetations around that area? A tropical rainforest.

The roots of the large trees hold the top soil together. They also shield the ground from winds and the blunt force of rains and hailstones. Paddy fields don't provide any of these benefits and the arecanut and coconut plantations aren't densely planted to provide the same level of protection as forests. Also, the leaves of plantations don't provide the same level of protection from rain as dense foliage does to the ground.

In effect, the soil stays relatively better when it supports rainforests.

Pretty clean surprisingly but being a planned city helps a great deal. There have been recent migrations and few slums propping up that need seeing to.

I've always felt Pakistan has a slightly better infrastructure than India, especially the Punjab region :/

Endosulphan, Malathion and other dangerous pesticides are still used in lemon,tomato,curry-leaves and other crops by poor farmers in rural tamilnadu and in many other places.

They dont get the remuneration of their hard work and middle men, wholesalers,retailers etc take their share of the profit.

Poor farmers have to bear loss if any, bad climate, poison in form of pesticides, water shortages etc.

Only if the above situation changes, the country will move forward. Until then it will remain backward and poor.

Wasn't endosulphan banned in Kerala like in Karnataka?:o:

Gee if it was legally permissible for me to buy it, I would. Regenerate a whole forest there. No agricultural taxes right?

Unlike other states, Kerala does have agricultural taxes and not much subsidies for electricity and help from banks..

Even after ruled half of it time by the party which claims to be of workers called CPM.

The whole district was poisoned?

Just few villages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom