What's new

Few Pakistani dishes for the vegetarian in you

..Lunch

The Differences Between Saag & Palak

Saag and palak are intensely green curries, containing greens, onion, ginger and tumeric. The two dishes may sometimes be served interchangeably in restaurants, but do contain different spices and dairy ingredients. Palak is actually a type of saag – the word for green leafy vegetables in Hindi.
  1. Green Differences
    • Saag refers to all leafy green vegetables; a true saag curry, sometimes called saagwala, includes mustard greens and fenugreek leaves as well as spinach leaves. Palak is the Hindi word for spinach. Thus, the only greens in a palak curry are mature spinach leaves.
    Aromatic Variations
    • Dozens of recipes for saag and palak curries exist; the slight variations are determined by family tradition and cooks’ preferences. Saag generally contains a blend of spices known as garam masala, which usually contains coriander, ginger, cardamom and black peppercorns. Garlic also has a big presence in this heady curry. Palak curry relies on cumin, fennel and coriander for flavor, with a bit of cayenne and red chiles for heat. Garlic is noticeably absent from authentic palak curries.

Diverse Dairy
    • Saag curry tends to be richer and creamier, due to the addition of heavy whipping cream at the end of the cooking process. Palak curry uses yogurt, instead of cream, as the dairy ingredient. This results in a drier sauce that has a distinct tanginess. The yogurt gets stirred in at the end of the cooking process too, but it can curdle when warmed, so chefs often stir a small amount of cream into the yogurt before adding it to the curry to prevent the curdling without adding too much milky flavor to the palak.
    Classic Paneer
    • Palak and saag curries are often served with paneer, or Indian cheese. Cubes of of this bland cheese, made by cooking milk with lemon juice, can be stirred into the pureed sauces to create a vegetarian entrée that’s traditionally served over rice. Restaurants sometimes serve saag curry mixed with cubes of cooked chicken or lamb, too.
images

images

images

images

images

and eat

IMG_4862.JPG
Thank u ghazi for the help. @IrbiS iwas right see palak is also a type of saag. but saags arent too great tasting.

The names i have heard are kulfa saag,never tried it , the rest of the names i have forgotten.
Makai ka saag hota hai?.

Thank u ghazi for the help. @IrbiS iwas right see palak is also a type of saag. but saags arent too great tasting.

The names i have heard are kulfa saag,never tried it , the rest of the names i have forgotten.
Makai ka saag hota hai?.

I tried kulfa saag long time ago. it was salty.
I tried mixture of kulfa saag. buthava saag and peshawari palak. Very nice

Makai ka saag hota hai?.

By saag we commonly refer to the famous sarsoon ka saag.

Yes kulfa is salty and not that appetizing

Makai ka saag hota hai?.

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

@levina

nice thread.

few questions

about saag, do you guys generally pair it with makki di roti as well ? that's the norm here.

and about daal, is it only the generally very heavy daal makhni style or is the regular humble yellow daal common in household cooking there as well ?

By saag we commonly refer to the famous sarsoon ka saag.

Yes kulfa is salty and not that appetizing

:omghaha::omghaha::omghaha:

@levina
:-)
I can proudly say I've tried most of the the items in your Pakistani vegetarian menu. Btw does bhae mean lotus stem???
I've tried its pickle, a kashmiri friend has brought it.

I can proudly say I've tried most of the the items in your Pakistani vegetarian menu. Btw does bhae mean lotus stem???

So no mak'kai ( corn ) saag yet ?

Yes it's lotus stem

nice thread.

few questions

about saag, do you guys generally pair it with makki di roti as well ? that's the norm here.

and about daal, is it only the generally very heavy daal makhni style or is the regular humble yellow daal common in household cooking there as well ?

Yes. generally with makki ki roti.
About daal... regular daal common in household cooking......:smitten:

Yes. generally with makki ki roti.
About daal... regular daal common in household cooking......:smitten:
nice, lentil soup goes good with chicken.. much protein

I've also had this kind of yellow daal but with mutton pieces, used as a side dish, or to top or have your biriyani with, bit like a raita almost.. what's that one called, haleem ?

I've tried only 2-3 of them but thats probably because I am a carnivorous lion and not a South Asian goat ! :tongue:

Like you ! :whistle:

@ghazi52 All these dishes except #2 bhai ki sabzi and #5 Nourtan qorma is being in our home on daily basis.
Only Friday and sunday is for muraghan khane.
But #7 sarson ka saag with dal roti is too delicious in taste.

@ghazi52 All these dishes except #2 bhai ki sabzi and #5 Nourtan qorma is cooked once or twice in a week in my home.
Its nawratan, as in it has 9 vegetables (nau means 9 ).

@ghazi52 All these dishes except #2 bhai ki sabzi and #5 Nourtan qorma is being in our home on daily basis.

Aaaap Bihari Sher hain ya Bihari Bakreiii ? :unsure:

Kaun sa insaaan-ka-bachaa itniii sabziii khaa saktaa haiii ? :pissed:

Back
Top Bottom