What's new

Female suspect in YouTube HQ shooting [Nasim Aghdam] was Iranian animal rights protestor

Hamartia Antidote

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/New...ealed-as-Iranian-animal-rights-protestor.html

Gunshots erupted at YouTube's offices in California Tuesday, sparking a panicked escape by employees and a massive police response, before the shooter -- a woman -- apparently committed suicide.

Police said three people had been hospitalized with gunshot injuries following the shooting in the city of San Bruno, and that a female suspect was found dead at the scene.

"We have one subject who is deceased inside the building with a self-inflicted wound," San Bruno Police Chief Ed Barberini told reporters. "At this time, we believe it to be the shooter."

Authorities cover a body with a yellow tarp at YouTube's headquarters in the San Francisco Bay Area. (Screenshot)

Two law enforcement officials identified the suspect as 39-year-old San Diego resident Nasim Aghdam, who is of Iranian origin.

Aghdam was quoted in a 2009 story in the San Diego Union-Tribune about a protest by People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals against the use of pigs in military trauma training. She dressed in a wig and jeans with drops of painted "blood" on them, holding a plastic sword at the demonstration outside the Camp Pendleton Marine Corps base.

"For me, animal rights equal human rights," Aghdam told the Union-Tribune at the time.

Angry at YouTube
Her father has spoken out and said she was angry at the company because it stopped paying her for videos she posted on the platform.

Ismail Aghdam told the Bay Area News Group that he warned police his daughter, Nasim Aghdam, might be going to YouTube because she "hated" the company.

Ismail Aghdam said he reported his daughter missing on Monday after she did not answer her phone for two days.

He said the family received a call from Mountain View police around 2 a.m. Tuesday telling they found Nasim sleeping in a car and he warned them she might go to YouTube.

Mountain View Police spokeswoman Katie Nelson confirmed officers located a woman by the same name asleep in a vehicle asleep in a Mountain View parking lot Tuesday morning.

She says the woman declined to answer further questions. Nelson did not respond to a question about whether police were warned Aghdam might go to YouTube.

Frantic scenes
Employees recounted frantic scenes as they fled the headquarters of the Google-owned video sharing service near San Francisco, with one saying he saw blood on the floor as he escaped.

"We were sitting in a meeting and then we heard people running because it was rumbling the floor. First thought was earthquake," employee Todd Sherman tweeted.

Sherman said that as he headed for an exit "someone said that there was a person with a gun," and added "at that point every new person I saw was a potential shooter."

Officials are seen following a shooting at the headquarters of YouTube, in San Bruno, California, U.S., April 3, 2018. (Reuters)

Sherman's tweets continued: "I looked down and saw blood drips on the floor and stairs. Peeked around for threats and then we headed downstairs and out the front."

One image posted by a Twitter user showed employees being led out of the building with their hands up, with no further explanation.

Another YouTube employee, Vadim Lavrusik, tweeted: "Active shooter at YouTube HQ. Heard shots and saw people running while at my desk. Now barricaded inside a room with coworkers."

Later, Lavrusik said he had escaped to safety.

Witnesses reported helicopters on the scene as well as police SWAT teams.

The White House said President Donald Trump had been briefed and that his administration was monitoring the ongoing situation in San Bruno.

Google communications tweeted: "Re: YouTube situation, we are coordinating with authorities and will provide official information here from Google and YouTube as it becomes available."

YouTube headquarters is located some 30 miles from the main Google campus in Mountain View.

photos-nasim-aghdam-youtube-shooting-suspect.jpg

180404_nasim_najafi_aghdam_cc6101b91784194cefe08f34d9c2bb4b.fit-320w.JPG

nasim3.jpg

She seems to have been one cheesed off animal activist. Sad

YouTube needs to stop exploitation and discrimination. It may be the first incident but if the company continues the exploitation, a lot more will follow.

YouTube needs to stop exploitation and discrimination. It may be the first incident but if the company continues the exploitation, a lot more will follow.

They were...that’s why she was pissed off.
She was making racy exercise videos and they got flagged by YouTube with a “sign on required” and she got upset.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...er-Neighbor-Reacts-to-Shooting-478739283.html

“Thirty-nine-year-old Nasim Aghdam, who most recently resided in San Diego, was an active YouTuber who would publish exercise videos and animal rights posts on her account. She alleged that the video streaming platform censored her posts and accused the company of discriminating against her.

Aghdam alleged that an age restriction was imposed on her exercise videos for being too racy ”

They were...that’s why she was pissed off.
She was making racy exercise videos and they got flagged by YouTube with a “sign on required” and she got upset.

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/...er-Neighbor-Reacts-to-Shooting-478739283.html

“Thirty-nine-year-old Nasim Aghdam, who most recently resided in San Diego, was an active YouTuber who would publish exercise videos and animal rights posts on her account. She alleged that the video streaming platform censored her posts and accused the company of discriminating against her.

Aghdam alleged that an age restriction was imposed on her exercise videos for being too racy ”
I never heard about her but I just watched the video in the link and apparently she seems to be upset by the discrimination by Youtube. Though what she did is not justified but her reason seems to make logic, as many others so called stars have far more racy videos but they are treated differently by YouTube.

I never heard about her but I just watched the video in the link and apparently she seems to be upset by the discrimination by Youtube. Though what she did is not justified but her reason seems to make logic, as many others so called stars have far more racy videos but they are treated differently by YouTube.

There are a lot of De-linkage happening on YouTube lately, a lot of user have their monetization delinked because of whatever reason, and that is not just to woman or racy video (I have some of my video delinked too, yes I am a youtuber)

I think YouTube have change their monetization policy and a lot of content "Not being approved" by YouTube are delinked, sometime even go so far receiving a strike, and I am not talking about racy video, I am talking about a few game review or even history video where I know no copyright was infringed. Myself have some military video taken out of monetization because, according to YouTube, not suitable for all ages and someone actually flagged some of my video.

This has got to stop I reckon, for me, I post them for fun, but I know a few YouTube Poster are actually looking at monetization as their livelihood. But still, I don't think its justified to go down to their headquarter and start blasting their employee just because they delink you....

There are a lot of De-linkage happening on YouTube lately, a lot of user have their monetization delinked because of whatever reason, and that is not just to woman or racy video (I have some of my video delinked too, yes I am a youtuber)

I think YouTube have change their monetization policy and a lot of content "Not being approved" by YouTube are delinked, sometime even go so far receiving a strike, and I am not talking about racy video, I am talking about a few game review or even history video where I know no copyright was infringed. Myself have some military video taken out of monetization because, according to YouTube, not suitable for all ages and someone actually flagged some of my video.

This has got to stop I reckon, for me, I post them for fun, but I know a few YouTube Poster are actually looking at monetization as their livelihood. But still, I don't think its justified to go down to their headquarter and start blasting their employee just because they delink you....
As I said, it is not justified what she did but still I want to find the reason/motivation. Thank God, they can't link it to terrorism or religion at least otherwise when I read her name, I was thinking it will be called terrorism as her name seem to be middle-eastern / Iranian.
YouTube is just trying to maximise its profit and pay less and less to the content creators and many genuine content creators are complaining about it. Initially Youtube use to pay handsomely to everyone to attract more and more people but now they become too big and Google's acquisition of YouTube has created a monopoly and govt will need to intervene and this incident may lead to a positive discussion.

If she killed those who killed animals, I do not see anything wrong with that.

Anyway, I always loved Iranians. Especially after reading the books of Sâdık Hidâyet, my respect increased further.

Back
Top Bottom