What's new

Fearing chinese links,Indian troops on China border told to format smartphones, delete 42 apps

Gurjot.S

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi: Troops posted on the China border have been told to format their smartphones and delete a number of apps that intelligence agencies have found to be detrimental to national security due to possible links to Chinese hackers.

A list of 42 applications, including popular ones such as Truecaller and WeChat, have been banned with immediate effect and all officers and men have been told to strictly comply with instructions to clean up both their official and personal mobile phones.

“According to reliable inputs, a number of Android/IOS apps developed by Chinese firms or having Chinese links are reportedly either spyware or other malicious ware. Use of these apps by our personnel can be detrimental to…national security,” the instructions sent to troops on 24 November read.

Manu-list-of-apps-watermarked.png

The intelligence inputs come after a spate of border transgressions by Chinese troops, including a nearly three-month standoff at Doklam that saw a massive build-up of forces by both India and China that threatened to spin out of control.

While the instructions do not contain specifics on how the applications named gather intelligence or can be used by Chinese agencies, they are clear that all personnel are advised not to “use these apps either in office or on personal mobile phones”.

“If some of them are already using any of these apps, then they should be asked to immediately uninstall the app and format their cellphones,” it reads.

The list of banned products for troops includes micro-blogging site Weibo, WeChat messenger, file transfer app Shareit, popular mobile web browser UC browser, and multiple account logger, Parallel Space. Besides, a number of applications found on popular Chinese smartphone brands are also on the banned list.

In December 2015, the defence ministry had restricted internet access and stopped the use of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth-enabled devices in South Block due to fears of attacks from Chinese hackers. Earlier, in April 2015, a Singapore-based cyber security firm claimed to have uncovered a Chinese cyber espionage network targeting Indian military, aerospace and maritime sectors with a bug named APT30.

The bug used decoy documents on Indian military movements in the South China Sea, news on indigenous aircraft carrier in Kochi and China border incidents to spread them on Indian government-controlled computers and phones.

LOL did they forget that the majority of the Indian smartphone market is held by Chinese companies, and any of the non-Chinese smartphones were either made in China or have components from China.

Same with any other piece of electronic equipment, or in fact any other manufactured consumer products. Including Indian flags and Indian religious idols.

Might as well go back to living in the forest if you want to get away from it.

LOL did they forget that the majority of the Indian smartphone market is held by Chinese companies, and any of the non-Chinese smartphones were either made in China or have components from China.

Same with any other piece of electronic equipment, or in fact any other manufactured consumer products. Including Indian flags and Indian religious idols.

There are plenty of non-chinese options, Android (and iOS) itself is not chinese, and more than 70% phones are already being made in India, phone's components and security can be checked by professionals for use by security personnel, and as far as I know, security personnel of India already have restrictions on use of chinese phones.

And don't give me that idol, flag, toys crap, before 2004 we barely had much of business with china, it's just that UPA government allowed cheap chinese dumping on our shores, but we have already started cutting down on unnecessary dumping and developing large scale capacity for the things we need.

There are plenty of non-chinese options, Android (and iOS) itself is not chinese, and more than 70% phones are already being made in India, phone's components and security can be checked by professionals for use by security personnel, and as far as I know, security personnel of India already have restrictions on use of chinese phones.

Its funny the article is mentioning about Chinese apps (software) and we have a genius here mentioning smartphones (Hardware), non- electronic consumer products flags, idols. :lol:

I wonder if its a lack of rudimentary understanding of information security threats from any software or difference between software and hardware.

Or maybe in China even consumer products come attached with surveillance devices allowing CCP to monitor Chinese citizens fart, brag and whine etc. :china:

And don't give me that idol, flag, toys crap, before 2004 we barely had much of business with china, it's just that UPA government allowed cheap chinese dumping on our shores, but we have already started cutting down on unnecessary dumping and developing large scale capacity for the things we need.
I think the common pdf Chinese delusion of India not being able to function in the 21th century with Chinese imports may be true below is the proof:

oqeyyx.jpg

Notice Chinese products forming major share in Indian imports are:

Umbrellas
Silk
articles made of feathers
Toys
Articles of leather
Knitted or crocheted fabrics
Musical instruments
Manufactures of straw
Ceramic products
Headgear and parts thereof
textile articles of a kind suitable
Footwear, gaiters and the like;
Furniture;
Other base metals; cermets;
Electrical machinery and equipment and parts thereof; sound recorders and reproducers, television . .
Other vegetable textile fibres

If China does decide to ban export of umbrellas, Prepared feathers, Toys, leather its etc :lol: life in India will come to standstill.

Afterall Chinese umbrellas, Prepared feathers, Toys, leather are what define life in the 21 century. :D

http://trademap.org/Product_SelProductCountry.aspx

Last edited:

You are right, India manufactures everything indigenously, that time when Modi was begging China for more ATM machine parts/electronics and Point-of-Sale machines due to his demonetisation disaster, that never happened. :P

Meanwhile, India's trade deficit to China grows ever larger.

Dude Indian flags and Indian religious idols are not detrimental to national security :lol:

US went a step further and banned your company

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-20141207-column.html

Dude Indian flags and Indian religious idols are not detrimental to national security :lol:

As stated in another post

If China does decide to ban export of umbrellas, Prepared feathers, Toys, leather its etc :lol: life in India will come to standstill.

Afterall Chinese umbrellas, Prepared feathers, Toys, leather are what define life in the 21 century. :D

Who needs strategic imports such as crude oil in India when we have Chinese umbrella, toys and leather products.

Take that middle east nobody needs your oil, the entire world revolves around Chinese goods.

Infact India's mars mission is a Chinese success as it contains made in China screws and bolts :china:

Interesting. Do Indians use WeChat, Weibo or QQ?
Wechat was marketed in India

What about electronics, transport, electricity and communications infrastructure? :P

If you don't care about the Indian flag, or your religious idols, what about the millions of Indians who ride the Delhi metro, the Mumbai metro and the Kolkata metro every day?

Interesting. Do Indians use WeChat, Weibo or QQ?
Yes...we use..even have 100 Chinese friends and other international friends....best thing is language translated..you chat with any national with any language..but now I am going to delete it because of security factor...

What about electronics, transport, electricity and communications infrastructure? :P

If you don't care about the Indian flag, or your religious idols, what about the millions of Indians who ride the Delhi metro, the Mumbai metro and the Kolkata metro every day?

Telecom/electricity

http://www.businesstoday.in/current...its-sensitive-markets-china/story/258565.html

We will move to other domains slowly dude ...............and just a curious question are you guys missing UPA these days :P

We will move to other domains slowly dude ...............you guys must be missing UPA these days right :P

Not at all, in fact Modi's government has brought the Indian trade deficit with China up to RECORD levels. :enjoy:

Did you know only 2 years ago the Indian smartphone market was dominated by local Indian companies like Micromax?

Today Micromax has vanished, and the majority of the Indian smartphone market is in the hands of 5 Chinese companies. Modi is pretty great. :P

I don't know about other apps mentioned in the OP, but I can personally vouch for truecaller being a malicious app!

Once I enabled TRUECALLER on my phone merely by accident, now my phone is being flooded with spam texts that I never subscribed for nor do I have any use of!

You can uninstall the app and block one spammer, there are 10 new ones - it is as if there is no way to stop the spam texts! What's worse is that they don't even need data connection on your phone to spam your inbox!

Basically your number is lost to spammers forever once you enable TRUECALLER on your smart phone! Beware!

I don't know about other apps mentioned in the OP, but I can personally vouch for truecaller being a malicious app!

Once I enabled TRUECALLER on my phone merely by accident, now my phone is being flooded with spam texts that I never subscribed for nor do I have any use of!

You can uninstall the app and block one spammer, there are 10 new ones - it is as if there is no way to stop the spam texts! What's worse is that they don't even need data connection on your phone to spam your inbox!

Basically your number is lost to spammers forever once you enable TRUECALLER on your smart phone! Beware!

Yes, I can see your phone number in the list. You might want to change it when you have the opportunity to do so.

Back
Top Bottom