What's new

Fearing China, India pulls out of war games with US, Japan

ChinaToday

Reaction score
Country
China
Concerned at how it would be perceived by Beijing, India last month suddenly withdrew from the planning of a naval exercise with the US and Japanese navies off the US Pacific island of Guam.

Instead, India will stick to geopolitically less sensitive separate naval manoeuvres with the US and Japan.

US and Japanese naval officials visited India last month to discuss coordination for the trilateral exercise.

The Indian defence ministry first indicated a preference for holding the exercise off the coast of the Japanese island of Okinawa.

Then it took the view that war games should be kept to the bilateral level for the time being in deference to Chinese sensibilities. The ministry then withdrew from the discussion altogether.

"Bizarrely, the US and Japan discussed a naval exercise on Indian soil that India was boycotting," said a US defence consultant.

Beijing claims multilateral naval exercises between India, the US and Japan are aimed at containing its influence and has publicly warned all the governments against joining such exercises.

Australia's withdrawal from the Quad after 2007 was a fallout of these protests.

The US and Japan had hoped to give the Malabar label to the Guam exercises, echoing the 2009 Malabar naval actions.

Tokyo saw this as paving the way to recreating the so-called "Quad" naval exercise of 2007 which saw five navies participate.

Australia last year indicated its interest in rejoining. Indian officials say that they are only interested in bilateral naval exercises and that Malabar should be confined to exercises with the US in the Indian Ocean.

This year's Malabar exercise, if held at all, will be a bare bones Indo-US affair in the Arabian Sea later in November. Officials say even this may not happen as both governments keep pushing the date back.

"The dates of Malabar are still to be finalised and depends on the commitments of the Fifth Fleet's engagement in the Gulf," said an Indian Navy official.

The Indian withdrawal from the trilateral exercise occurred before the Chinese border intrusion in eastern Ladakh.

Fearing China, India pulls out of war games with US, Japan - Hindustan Times

Looks like the author is from BJP..trying to incite anti -govt stance

why always the same ? if the govt makes a spineless decision and somebody condemns it , does not mean the author is from bjp/communist/antinational or some such!

bro ,he is quoting hard facts, you can give another reference and sway the opinion !

What's the point of spending billions on the super duper war machines if you don't exercise them (with your allies) in war games?

search

Try this out, may help you get a different perspective.

What's the point of spending billions on the super duper war machines if you don't exercise them (with your allies) in war games?

What gives you the idea that they are our allies?

^^^

I didn't. It was your countrymen/countrywomen on this board - ALL THE TIME, how three of you kick China's ***.

let me highlight you something for trolls...

the exercise is in Guam,with Japan and USA...

the both country is taking anti china precautions and postures..

India already said that it'll not join anti china grouping..

but India is participating every kind of war games and exercises in one on one basis..

it clearly points that India is doing what for its own benifit and strategic interest,not joining or taking anti china stand or trying to contain it.as clear as daylight..

bilateral naval exercises and that Malabar should be confined to exercises with the US in the Indian Ocean

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian...lls-out-war-games-us-japan.html#ixzz2T98kLwhw

There must be some valid reason for keeping it bilateral. but what is this reason?

sending a clear message that it is not part of any "Contain China" gathering..India wants to solve its problem with China bilaterally..just like that,we keep our relationship with USA or Japan bilateral,you'll see plenty of war games with both of those countries,but not as a group(very rare cases where a greater number of countries are involved)

sending a clear message that it is not part of any "Contain China" gathering..India wants to solve its problem with China bilaterally..just like that,we keep our relationship with USA or Japan bilateral,you'll see plenty of war games with both of those countries,but not as a group(very rare cases where a greater number of countries are involved)

That is Understandable. every country avoids such uncalled for confrontation. So dont you think this word "FEARING" shouldnt be used ?

on the other hand i am looking for more strategic reasons for not going to this joint excercise and i am sure India is looking at ,more serious aspects.

That is Understandable. every country avoids such uncalled for confrontation. So dont you think this word "FEARING" shouldnt be used ?

on the other hand i am looking for more strategic reasons for not going to this joint excercise and i am sure India is looking at ,more serious aspects.

Strategic reason - indian strategy is not to be aligned since decades. The only time india was aligned was with russia and that too quasi-aligned for weapons etc. India never aligned politically or policy wise.

yes,thats what I said..thats not "Fear" but thats the very ideology that India will never join any "Camp" that is aimed against another Country..plus,as Indo-China relationship and business flourishes(apart from few bizarre incident),why risk it for the sake of this kind of relationship which is against India's ideology??

This is ridiculous.China doesn't pulls out of any exercises with Pak.
UPA must go now.

Back
Top Bottom