What's new

FC-1 (JF-17) powered by WS-13 engine carries Taxi Trials

Haanzo

Reaction score
BY: IDRW NEWS NETWORK
images

According to Chinese media ,FC-1 (local Chinese name for JF-17) has recently carried out successful taxi trials powered by a Chinese made WS-13 engine ,currently first batch of 40 aircraft which will be supplied to Pakistan are powered by Russian Klimov RD-93B turbofans, while WS-13 has 10% greater thrust but is also having Quality issues with the turbine blades . Next batch of JF-17 which will be build in Pakistan will have this Chinese engine and same will be offered to export market , Chinese are already working on an improved engine which again will have further thrust .

http://idrw.org/?p=1859

great milestone ...india has to play catch up now ...still dreaming of the day when tejas will be powered by kaveri
:cheers:

So is it confirmed that next batches of JF-17 will be powered by this engine.

I heard on here on PDF that China has already bought 200 RD-93 so if Pakistan develops 200-250 Jets how's this engine gonna be accommodated.If so what will happen to the remaining 150 RD-93.

So, pilots should be ready for test failure of new motor.

Posted a long time ago.

---------- Post added at 01:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 AM ----------

So, pilots should be ready for test failure of new motor.

Enlighten me please.

10% more thrust means how much more speed we are talking about. Current max speed is stated as 1.8 with RD93, are we talking about crossing mach 2+ with 10% more thrust, can someone point comparison of WS13 and RD93 with their dry thrust and max thrust?

WS-13 vs RD-93.

Length (m)
WS-13-->4.15
RD-93-->4.25
%Diff-->-2.35%

Diameter (m)
WS-13-->1.02
RD-93-->1.04
%Diff-->-1.92%

Weight (Kg)
WS-13-->1135
RD-93-->1055
%Diff-->7.58

Thrust (Full After-Burning, kN)
WS-13-->86.37
RD-93-->81.3
%Diff-->6.24%

Thrust (Dry, kN)
WS-13-->56.75
RD-93-->50.0
%Diff-->13.50%

Bypass ratio
WS-13-->0.57
RD-93-->0.49
%Diff-->16.33%

10% more thrust means how much more speed we are talking about. Current max speed is stated as 1.8 with RD93, are we talking about crossing mach 2+ with 10% more thrust, can someone point comparison of WS13 and RD93 with their dry thrust and max thrust?

100KTN , visit JF-17 Thunder Thread for details.

welll i dont think so this probleum will exist for more time

100KTN , visit JF-17 Thunder Thread for details.

Actually the report says:

...currently first batch of 40 aircraft which will be supplied to Pakistan are powered by Russian Klimov RD-93B turbofans, while WS-13 has 10% greater thrust but is also having Quality issues with the turbine blades .

That means, it has 10% more than the actual RD 93 and by the specs that farhan_9909 posted for RD93, it would be 89,43kN afterburner thrust now.

You can't only include the higher thrust, but also have to add the 80Kg more weight of the WS 13 compared to RD93. Be it for more speed, or more payload, it must be a combination of less weight and more thrust.

Don't you people think as i always think that:
Pakistan should ave tried to jointly develop avionics as well as weapons for JF-17 with E.U like france, germany or Italy and even an air & surface defence system which consist of high and lo-level radars with weapons and may be an AWACS system so they would only need an aircraft that could be the Chinese Y-8.
For all this development i think they should have made a single complex for the R&D of avionics like the one they are saying to make Heavy Electrical Complex and for weapons complex like Air weapons complex that exists but doesn't know what they do?

So is it confirmed that next batches of JF-17 will be powered by this engine.

I heard on here on PDF that China has already bought 200 RD-93 so if Pakistan develops 200-250 Jets how's this engine gonna be accommodated.If so what will happen to the remaining 150 RD-93.

It will be spares for the First batch bro...:cheers:

It will be spares for the First batch bro...:cheers:

It is good practice for have a spare engine (or two for twin engine jets) for every aircraft in service. Engines fail all the time, and they have service life limit. Having spares means you can keep a high number of active planes.

It is good practice for have a spare engine (or two for twin engine jets) for every aircraft in service. Engines fail all the time, and they have service life limit. Having spares means you can keep a high number of active planes.
That is a valid point.
I think the chinese engine is doing fine, as for the problem they indeed are working on it pretty hard. The rest are just media hype.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom