What's new

Fawad Chaudhry wants to end debit, credit cards in Pakistan

Fawad Chaudhry wants to end debit, credit cards in Pakistan
Zaheer Ali Khan
May 27 , 2019

technology-2.jpg

Photo: AFP

After launching Pakistan’s first Islamic calendar on Sunday, Federal Science and Technology Minister Fawad Chaudhry announced on Monday that he wants to implement a mobile phone payment system in the country.

The minister took to Twitter on Monday morning, fresh off his successful launch of a controversial Islamic calendar that has been seen as a challenge to religious clerics, particularly the Ruet-e-Hilal Committee. He said that his next big challenge is replacing debit and credit cards with a mobile phone payment system.

For technology to progress, we need payments to become easier, he said, adding that God willing, in the next few months all payments, from bus fares to buying cars, will be made using mobile phones.

Related: Eid on June 5, according to Pakistan’s first Islamic calendar

Mobile payments are just that – payments made from your mobile phone. They use mobile wallets, which store your debit and credit card information so you can pay for your goods and services digitally. They are generally considered safer alternatives to credit or debit card use.

Mobile payments are especially popular in neighbouring China, which has a $12.77 trillion mobile payment market, according to Medium.

https://www.samaa.tv/technology/2019/05/fawad-chaudhry-wants-to-end-debit-credit-cards-in-pakistan/

Fawad Chaudhry has lost balance of mind. First he should learn the history of Hubble Telescope and James Webb Telescope. These stupid peoples are ruining the country by constant experiments. PTI must strengthen Pakistan, instead of fiddling with Pakistan.

Ten years ago me and my colleagues opened up phones in G6 and F-6 Bts from a sourced system. Androids/symbian were the easiest; went through contacts, images and even turned off a phone. Iphones proved to be difficult.

You should not go for a foreign payment system, not even the Chinese cuz that'll expose the financial details of Pak's public and will be vulnerable to hackers. Like how Chinese use Alipay and Wechat-pay, Indians use PayTM or Bhim which has credible support from their respective govts, Pak can start a mobile payment system supported by the govt ensuring all transactions are encoded without any loopholes.
Pakistan already has so many mobile payment systems in place like Sim Sim, Easy Paisa, Jazz Cash and millions of people are using them.

all a foreign Vloggers visited Pakistan recently has mentioned the cashless society Pakistan is with Easy Paisa and all which they even didnt mentioned when they visited India.

Misleading headline by newspaper because its not about ending card system, he simply want to introduce centerlized mobile banking system like Ali pay and Paytm and its good for industry and people. Currently only Daewoo introduced booking and payment through card and easypaiss/jazzcash on all routs but other major players like Faisal Mover booking through book karu and Bilal Travel And skyways through Bookme but not on all routes mainly Islamabad to Lahore or Multan.

I am currently surprised to see many government websites including the new moon sighting website does not have HTTPS protocol. this shows the seriousness to on Part of government in terms of IT Security.
Moonsighting website not require any data from user so its not necessary ssl certificate for security

Pakistan already has so many mobile payment systems in place like Sim Sim, Easy Paisa, Jazz Cash and millions of people are using them.

all a foreign Vloggers visited Pakistan recently has mentioned the cashless society Pakistan is with Easy Paisa and all which they even didnt mentioned when they visited India.

Its not centerlized yet and its mobile banking. Basically in Pakistan all banks and mobile banks have applications but not centerlized so when a customer want to add balance in easypaisa or jazzcash then it need to be going on recharge shop but when you have centerlized system then you mobile app directly connected to your bank accounts and directly deduct from accounts. Also there is need of wide implementation of QR payment system and NFC but Pakistani awam not ready for this

Its not centerlized yet and its mobile banking. Basically in Pakistan all banks and mobile banks have applications but not centerlized so when a customer want to add balance in easypaisa or jazzcash then it need to be going on recharge shop but when you have centerlized system then you mobile app directly connected to your bank accounts and directly deduct from accounts. Also there is need of wide implementation of QR payment system and NFC but Pakistani awam not ready for this

pls learn about Sim Sim App i am using it and it is connected with my bank account in Finca Bank and has QR payment system as well:)

Misleading headline by newspaper because its not about ending card system, he simply want to introduce centerlized mobile banking system like Ali pay and Paytm and its good for industry and people. Currently only Daewoo introduced booking and payment through card and easypaiss/jazzcash on all routs but other major players like Faisal Mover booking through book karu and Bilal Travel And skyways through Bookme but not on all routes mainly Islamabad to Lahore or Multan.

Moonsighting website not require any data from user so its not necessary ssl certificate for security
Why blaming newspaper

pls learn about Sim Sim App i am using it and it is connected with my bank account in Finca Bank and has QR payment system as well:)
I know about sim sim but it only add finca bank accounts currently and not centerlized so its offering exactly what other banks offer with mobile apps. QR codel system available in Pakistan but not widely used currently. Recently MasterCard introduced masterpass with some major banks and vendors but other than Mcdonalds and KFC not properly used anywhere even when Easypaisa offering discount on QR Scanning at petrol pumps all staff and awam cursing easypaisa for socalled difficult process. Ye to haal hy awam ka

Last edited:

Idk why we South Asians always want a confirmation from some random westerner to certify the credibility of a product or a certain aspect. FYI, PayTM is valued at $18bn and is soon to reach $20+bn with companies like Berkshire Hathway, Soft Bank & Alibaba investing in it and it's owner Vijay Shekhar Sharma is a billionaire worth $2.5bn.

None of pakistan's mobile payment systems are remotely close to what PayTM is and we don't need an affirmation from a western journo. Also, India stands 2nd next to China when it comes to mobile payments

https://inc42.com/buzz/paytm-to-raise-2bn-from-softbank-ant-financial-on-its-way-to-18-bn-valuation/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2018/12/03/is-paytm-worth-20-billion/#608291b24439

https://www.emarketer.com/content/china-and-india-lead-mobile-payment-adoption-for-2019

Thx.. was just curious. I would think a modern country like Pakistan would have all the major cards.
It was once back in early 2000. My cousin had one. Apart from the financial aspect the card had other advantages as well like when my cousin was stuck at Jeddah airport, he saw an american express counter and went there for assistance, and they made him, brought a Starbucks and within the next half an hour all his documents and passport were cleared, taxi called and made him on his way.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom