What's new

Farewell To The Fantan

So 40 A5s have been retired...but we don't have 40 JF-17s yet? So there seems to be a net shortage of fighters in the North-West

only a temporary issue....

26 sqdn stood up with 14 JF-17s (it still needs 4 more to complete its 'reserves' allocation)
16 sqdn will also stand up with 14 JF-17s and get its reserves by the end of the year.

PAF shd have ~40 a/c by the year-end

Even in dry thrust, Fantan's twin engines made enough noise to stop you in your tracks.
Once during a live Cricket Match in Peshawar, as Shoaib Akhtar ran in to ball, an A-5 flew past overhead, albeit the commentator remarked, "that plane is as fast as Shoib Akhtar", but stunned by the noise, the bowler stopped his run and just stared skywards until the plane disappeared.

Even in dry thrust, Fantan's twin engines made enough noise to stop you in your tracks.
Once during a live Cricket Match in Peshawar, as Shoaib Akhtar ran in to ball, an A-5 flew past overhead, albeit the commentator remarked, "that plane is as fast as Shoib Akhtar", but stunned by the noise, the bowler stopped his run and just stared skywards until the plane disappeared.

Hmmmmmm......Rawalpindi express was stopped by Peshawar Express........Both retired one after other

Don't forget guys, this is first Nuclear strike capable plane of PAF. Later Mirage was upgraded.

@Windjammer...how you rate overall performance of A5. How many accidents?.
Maintenance related.
Pilot related.
While moving on ground accident.

Don't forget guys, this is first Nuclear strike capable plane of PAF. Later Mirage was upgraded.

Maintenance related.
Pilot related.
The following figures were provided by Sir Fatman.

Pakistan Air Force

Delivered;58
Current; 0
Lost; 4
Withdrawn; 14
Stored; 40

- In service from 1983 until March 2011 (27.3 years)

- Note: Delivered from 1983 onwards. The type was gradually withdrawn from service commencing in 2009/2010 as its replacement, the JF-17 Thunder, entered service in greater numbers. The last operational A-5C Fantans were officially retired from service on 18th March 2011.

So 40 A5s have been retired...but we don't have 40 JF-17s yet? So there seems to be a net shortage of fighters in the North-West

The A5 pilots will need conversion training to fly the new JF-17, so by the time of completion of their conversion training, more JF-17 will be available. I believe the upgraded Mirage can take over A5's duty for the moment until sufficient number of Thunders enter service.

well i must salut first this war horse of pakistan airforce i think this jet has still life left in him to fight for the nation we must send it to Mehran base in karachi to help navy forces and keep this jet as a bomber role for navy but china not retiring this jet they created succesor for this Q 5 fanatn i think but out airforce mindset is only and only stuck forever for only 2 jets F 16 and JF 17 we need different types of jets as mirages are also going to retire i think in war time with more different types of jets that country will have edge more than that country which have more numbers of jet but dont have variety we need atleast 4 diffferent type of jets Mirages should alsop be buyed new mirages which french airforce is usinf they are deadly and i know our military think tank is dump we are going to face bad consequences of relyong on two types of jets F 16 is now nothing

well i must salut first this war horse of pakistan airforce i think this jet has still life left in him to fight for the nation we must send it to Mehran base in karachi to help navy forces and keep this jet as a bomber role for navy but china not retiring this jet they created succesor for this Q 5 fanatn i think but out airforce mindset is only and only stuck forever for only 2 jets F 16 and JF 17 we need different types of jets as mirages are also going to retire i think in war time with more different types of jets that country will have edge more than that country which have more numbers of jet but dont have variety we need atleast 4 diffferent type of jets Mirages should alsop be buyed new mirages which french airforce is usinf they are deadly and i know our military think tank is dump we are going to face bad consequences of relyong on two types of jets F 16 is now nothing
1- Fantans are A2G aircraft and not the Naval aircraft so they can not be used in Naval Strike Role. Plus they are not excellent A2A dogfighter as well so this effectively seals the faith of possible Naval use.
2- Its only IAF which has shown the eagerness to add all the candies in the house to its fleet (SU-30,Mig-29,Jagguar,Mig-21,Mirage,Mig-27 and now LCA). What does it do? it means 8 infrastures for each platform, extended stress on the maintainence staff and ultimately a drag on the overall performance. Airforces accross the globe have now recognised that its better to have two types of Aircrafts 1) Air Superiority 2) a true multirole for the rest of the missions. USAF plans to slim down to JSF, F-22 and B-2 combo. China is aiming at J-10 J-11 combo and so on. The lesser the aircraft types, lesser the infrastructure needs and lesser the maintainaince headache. I can recall the words of wing commander from Arizona National Airguards " its all about maintaince, a strong maintainece makes the challanging situations less stressful for the pilot"

hasnain please see what USA has with it F 16 still can go next 15 years and F 15 USA dont have any plans to retire it infact they are upgrading it and sir jee F 22 and JSF will be in pippeline too

and about china they have J 10, JF 17 SU 30MKK J 11 JH 7 and Q 5 and JXX

most of the countries are using atleast one airsuperiority jet and sorry F 16 is not a air superiority we have only two jets both are multirole and multiroles are not dedicated A2A dogfight jet as you mentioned and F 16 till date did not faced its true compitator in airwar if even it faced they opponent fighter dont have the skilll how to use his jet anyway if F 16 faced SU 35 or SU 37 or Mig 35 for sure before F 16 gets in air it will be in ashes F 16 is not the future USAF reason why keeping it becoz they have backup jets to F 16 F 15 F 22 etc and they can use it better way than us once we have upgraded it we have to use it all our life with same upgrade our airforce using APG 52 radar i think may be 62 but recently they have got APG 72 and why our dump airforce did not asked USA for AESA radar on our blk 52 F 16 in reality our armed forces are dump for sure

I dont know why, but this makes me feel upset.
Always loved the model of the fighter.

It has done its great work, now time for other too :)

I dont know why, but this makes me feel upset.
Always loved the model of the fighter.

It has done its great work, now time for other too :)
I guess it's safe to say that the A-5 was probably the only fighter aircraft in PAF's recent inventory, which completed it's service without once firing in anger.

I guess it's safe to say that the A-5 was probably the only fighter aircraft in PAF's recent inventory, which completed it's service without once firing in anger.

Used briefly in the WOT..

With an operating radius of 1240 miles it would be no good in naval role where you need loiter time. Secondly , it would require major refit to fulfill that role(new radar and other bits) and the tech is so old it would not be worth the effort or money. So one could probably use it still for ground attack in reserve, but it will not have much role in anything else.
Regards
Araz

Maintenance related.
Pilot related.

if anyone is familiar with peshawar AB, there is a railway track which cuts through the taxiway. in the 90's due to miscommunication a A-5 collided with the train engine and was written off. luckily the pilot survived this freak accident.

Back
Top Bottom