Kailash Kumar

Reaction score
Country
Suriname
Family tree of Indo-European and Uralic languages

196.jpg

http://www.sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=196

How is Latin missing from this?

Why is Italian on one branch and English on a totally different one?.

This is an example of Latin (basically old Italian)

expanded-version-inscription-trajans-column.png

translated
translation-inscription-trajans-column.png

Not the best translation as it could have used similar words. Instead of "people" for "populusque" we could have used "population" Instead of "height" for "altitudinis" we could have used "altitude". Instead of "illustration" for "declaradum" we could use "declaration".

Last edited:
Urdu closer to Spanish than Persian? You've gotta be kidding me!

How is Latin missing from this?

Why is Italian on one branch and English on a totally different one?.

Latin is missing. You are correct. I think they forgot.

Below you will find a different family tree with Latin included.
You will also see why English and Italian are on different branches.

Language-Chart.jpg

Urdu closer to Spanish than Persian? You've gotta be kidding me!

It is not really closer to Spanish than Persian.
In the drawing it looks that way, but you need to look at the branches.
And then you will see that Urdu and Persian both come from one of the two main branches of Indo-European langages: Indo-Iranian.
While Spanish belongs to the European branch.

where are the Arabic, Hebrew, sanskrit etc.??

Sanskrit is there. Just above where it says 'Indic' in the Indo-Iranian branch.
I do think that they did not place Sanskrit correct.
Below there is a different family tree where Sanskrit is placed correct.

Language-Chart.jpg

Arabic and Hebrew are not Indo-European or Urali languages.
They are Semitic languages and the fall under the Afro-Asiatic language family.

Urdu should be closer to Persian and Punjabi

Urdu does have a lot of borrowed words from Persian and Arabic.
But that does not instantly make it related to Persian (or Arabic).

But you are correct. Urdu should be closer to Punjabi.
When you look at the branches, you see that Hindi and Urdu belong to the 'Central' zone of the Indic languages, Punjabi to the 'North Western' zone and, for example, Bengali to the 'Eastern' zone.
They should have placed the 'Central' zone branch (with Hindi and Urdu) between the 'North Western' (Punjabi) and 'Eastern' (Bengali) branches.

Just like in the map of Indo-Aryan languages below.

Major_Indo-Aryan_languages.png

Latin is missing. You are correct. I think they forgot.

Below you will find a different family tree with Latin included.
You will also see why English and Italian are on different branches.

Language-Chart.jpg

It is not really closer to Spanish than Persian.
In the drawing it looks that way, but you need to look at the branches.
And then you will see that Urdu and Persian both come from one of the two main branches of Indo-European langages: Indo-Iranian.
While Spanish belongs to the European branch.

Sanskrit is there. Just above where it says 'Indic' in the Indo-Iranian branch.
I do think that they did not place Sanskrit correct.
Below there is a different family tree where Sanskrit is placed correct.

Language-Chart.jpg

Arabic and Hebrew are not Indo-European or Urali languages.
They are Semitic languages and the fall under the Afro-Asiatic language family.

Apparently this is true. Here is some simple German (I can understand the Latin better):

Zu meiner Familie gehören vier Personen. Die Mutter bin ich und dann gehört natürlich mein Mann dazu. Wir haben zwei Kinder, einen Sohn, der sechs Jahre alt ist und eine dreijährige Tochter.

Wir wohnen in einem kleinen Haus mit einem Garten. Dort können die Kinder ein bisschen spielen. Unser Sohn kommt bald in die Schule, unsere Tochter geht noch eine Zeit lang in den Kindergarten. Meine Kinder sind am Nachmittag zu Hause. So arbeite ich nur halbtags.

Eigentlich gehören zu unserer Familie auch noch die Großeltern. Sie wohnen nicht bei uns. Sie haben ein Haus in der Nähe. Die Kinder gehen sie oft besuchen.

Maybe they kept the sentence structure and replaced Germanic words with Latin ones.

Apparently this is true. Here is some simple German (I can understand the Latin better):

Zu meiner Familie gehören vier Personen. Die Mutter bin ich und dann gehört natürlich mein Mann dazu. Wir haben zwei Kinder, einen Sohn, der sechs Jahre alt ist und eine dreijährige Tochter.

Wir wohnen in einem kleinen Haus mit einem Garten. Dort können die Kinder ein bisschen spielen. Unser Sohn kommt bald in die Schule, unsere Tochter geht noch eine Zeit lang in den Kindergarten. Meine Kinder sind am Nachmittag zu Hause. So arbeite ich nur halbtags.

Eigentlich gehören zu unserer Familie auch noch die Großeltern. Sie wohnen nicht bei uns. Sie haben ein Haus in der Nähe. Die Kinder gehen sie oft besuchen.

Maybe they kept the sentence structure and replaced Germanic words with Latin ones.

That could be true.
This is what I got from Wikipedia:

Celtic languages
Prior to about the 5th century CE, most people in Britain spoke Celtic languages (for the most part specifically Brittonic languages), although Vulgar Latin may have taken over in larger settlements, especially in the south-east.

Old English
English is a West Germanic language that originated from Anglo-Frisian dialects brought to Britain in the mid 5th to 7th centuries AD by Anglo-Saxon settlers. With the end of Roman rule in 410 AD, Latin ceased to be a major influence on the Celtic languages spoken by the majority of the population. People from what is now northwest Germany, west Denmark and the Netherlands settled in the British Isles from the mid-5th century and came to culturally dominate the bulk of southern Great Britain until the 7th century. The Anglo-Saxon language, now called Old English, originated as a group of Anglo-Frisian dialects which were spoken, at least by the settlers, in England and southern and eastern Scotland in the early Middle Ages.

Middle English
After the Norman conquest in 1066, Old English was replaced, for a time, as the language of the upper classes by Anglo-Norman, a relative of French. This is regarded as marking the end of the Old English or Anglo-Saxon era, as during this period the English language was heavily influenced by Anglo-Norman, developing into a phase known now as Middle English.

Modern English
Early Modern English – the language used by Shakespeare – is dated from around 1500. It incorporated many Renaissance-era loans from Latin and Ancient Greek, as well as borrowings from other European languages, including French, German and Dutch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_language_decline_in_England
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_English

So, English has a German foundation (and also sentence structure, as you said) mixed with a lot of Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Dutch and of course other (newer) German words.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom