What's new

Falling BD Debt/GDP Ratio

I agree that spending on education should be paramount but without an economy to sustain educated and skilled labour, we'll eventually see brain drain like ex-USSR countries during the late-80's to 90's. So everything has to be balanced. I don't like how every 2-3 years the MoEducation changes its policy. Either create a robust policy after a few years of research and feasibility study or don't change so frequently at all. Our batch (HSC-17, SSC-15, JSC-12, PSC-09) is already called the guinea pig batch. And for the love of God why do they still give away curriculum books for free and don't increase school fee is beyond me. The last decade or so I paid $10-15 every trimester resulting only $40-60 fee a year whereas I'm already spending $1500-1700 a year on private tutors, coaching centres cause the highly qualified teachers govt. schools employ only teach in trailers in school and teach their full potential only in their private home coaching. And it's very modest in contrast to where some of my classmates spent $2600-2800 a year in some cases. And why the fu*k do they wanna boast about free books distributed to "alaler ghorer dulal"s of financially capable families of cities? Don't get me wrong, I and many of my peers who grew up in financially viable families will gladly pay for our books if they improve the standard of education and we don't have to read fu*king free books laden with bloody printing mistakes! At least a strain would be lifted from the budget and they can still distribute free books to those who need them in the first place. It's a fu*king mess, Bangladesh education system.

I am sorry but you have missed the point of this thread entirely.Size of the debt is irrelevant but the ratio to GDP is important.BD is at 23% while Pakistan is at over 60%.

BD can afford to take on a hell of a lot more debt since it can easily
make the repayments and economy is roaring ahead at over 7% a year.
Budget increases by 10% a year in real terms and foreign reserves at 31 billion
US dollars are higher than external debt at 25 billion US dollars.

To give you an idea of what is happening in BD, the government will start the
construction of a near 10 billion US dollar elevated expressway in 2018 connecting
the capital Dhaka with the port city of Chittagong.
China has already offered funding as BD can easily repay this amount of money back.

BD economy is now growing at rates like the former " Tiger" economies of the Far East.

True but you have to start somewhere.

Even if it raises a billion or two a year, that will help a lot over
the long term.

That all sounds nice but debt to ratio is irrelevant if it hasn't been taken any advantage of for the last two decades.

If I'm not mistaken Bangladesh has had a higher annual growth rate than Pakistan since the 1980s, yet it has not been able to surpass it. I can't understand it as to why despite, Pakistan itself having a very small economy to begin with.

That all sounds nice but debt to ratio is irrelevant if it hasn't been taken any advantage of for the last two decades.

If I'm not mistaken Bangladesh has had a higher annual growth rate than Pakistan since the 1980s, yet it has not been able to surpass it. I can't understand it as to why despite, Pakistan itself having a very small economy to begin with.

Nope, only since 1990s BD has had higher growth.
The gap was very large in start of 1990s but is almost non-existent now in GDP/capita.
Definitely BD will surpass Pakistan by 2020 now.

What matters is BD GDP capita is now growing at 6% a year and the infrastructure is now
being built to allow BD to soon grown even faster in future. You need time to build
up momentum which BD has now done.

Back
Top Bottom