What's new

Falconry in KSA and the Arab world

Unfortunately....they don't bring it back. You have to go get the prey away from your bird once they get it down. That is a skill, all on it's own. ;)

Wait, alert button showed you quoted me :unsure:

What???

@al-Hasani, Thank you so much for posting the wonderful videos and stunning pictures of the birds and your country. Most Americans have no idea how beautiful the KSA is. I was stationed in the KSA during the 1980's, a couple of times, and made a few friends there that were falconers and got to go out with their birds. Falconry in America is not the cultural tradition that it is with many Arabs but it has a dedicated following. I live in southern Idaho and one of the great things about falconry here, and America in general, is the huge variety of game and in the west where I live, the tens of millions of acres of public lands to hunt on. I have only trapped my birds instead of buying them, as earlier posts attest to, can be very expensive. I generally only keep them during that year's hunting season and then return them to the wild and trap a new one for the next year. I have only intermewed (kept past the moult, for an additional year.) one falcon. Here is another picture of my tiercel Red-tailed bunny killer and his faithful dog-hunting partner and some hoods when a falconer buddy and I were out trapping American Prairie Falcons, (and caught the Gyr instead, that is my avatar! :dance3:)...

View attachment 13701 View attachment 13703

Thank you so much for that wonderful post. That is a very beautiful Gyrfalcon that you caught and a nice hunting dog. Your Gyrfalcon looks slightly like a hybrid between the Saker and White Gyrfalcon.

Yes, that is right. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time in KSA and I invite you to visit again since the country is like a new one here 3 decades after. I hope one day that American tourists and others will visit KSA more.

Let me tell you that I studied in California for one year and in that time period I visited the nearby states of Oregon, Nevada, Utah and Arizona and the beauty was immense. Some areas reminded me of KSA. But I have never been in Idaho or the Midwest but I have heard that it is a very beautiful state.

You have much more experience with falconry than I because I have only held a Saker falcon once and been in the desert looking at falconry but I never was a falconer myself. Maybe I should try that for real?;)

@al-Hasani Is Hunting with Salukis a popular sport as well or has it ended in Gulf ??

Yes it is a popular traditional sport in Najd the interior historical region of KSA. Especially among the Bedouins it is a popular sport just like falconry, horse riding etc. But there are only about a few hundred thousand real Bedouins in KSA so not many left.

You can see the Saluki dogs in action in this video from UAE. They are used for all kind of hunting. They can outrun gazelles! They are immensely fast and their stamina is amazing.

You can see the race going on here below after the gazelle. It is insane:

Last edited:

17348.jpg

I am a volunteer here in Scotland at a reserve involved in the conservation of the Osprey Pandion haliaetus.. this bird was extinct in Scotland by 1916.. introduced back in the 50's my reserve has had ospreys since 1969. These amazing birds migrate every year from the Gambia, Senegal and Guinea- over 3000 miles to nest in England Scotland and Wales. 2 years ago we satellite tracked our first chicks. Alas we have lost 2 of them, one in Spain and one in Guinea Bissau.. but our earliest tagged bird 'Blue YD' is still going strong and started his migration northwards as we have tracked him crossing the Sahara desert last week. We also have the oldest breeding Osprey known we do not name Ospreys (only give them their tag,ring designation) but as the old bird has nested with us every year since 1989-she is an old lady- so we call her 'Lady' and people come from Europe, USa and elswhere to see her. In pic tagging chick 'Blue YZ' unfortunately after crossing the Atlas Mountains and the Sahara she succumbed in Guinea Bissau (Osprey chicks have a 50% survival chance) also pictured with her mate.. who is 20 years younger than her!
lady and mate_edited-1.jpg
Lady3.jpg
Lady3.jpg Ladyschick5.jpg lady and mate_edited-1.jpg

@al-Hasani When I see the trained falcons, I find their eyes shut/covered most of the times. Why is this so? (I find it a bit cruel on those magnificent birds)

That cover is called burqa'a برقع

Crown Prince of Dubai Shaikh Hamdan bin Muhammad Bin Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum. His pen name is fazza'a فزاع

Talking of falcons, one of my favorite songs which was produced some more than 20 years back:

I could not find a clear video. If someone finds it please post it here.

Lyrics: Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan
Singer: Khalid Abdul Rahman (KSA)

The scenes in the songs are combination of scenes from falcon hunting trips of Shaikh Zayed in and outside UAE. There are scenes from his trips to Pakistan as well.

Last edited:
Falcon hunting trips of Shaikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan

falcon hunting trips of Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan
برنامج المقناص - مقناص الشيخ زايد رحمه الله

Part 1

Part 2

21 May 2006

More UAE falcons released back into the wild in Pakistan

The skies over Chitral, Pakistan, near the Afghanistan border, were this year's choice for the twelfth annual release of falcons back into the wild.

The release came under the Falcon Release Programme initiated by Shaikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, and under the directives of the President, His Highness Shaikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, and General Shaikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces.

Shaikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Deputy Prime Minister of the UAE and Chairman of Environment Agency-Abu Dhabi (EAD), said that the release is just one of the many conservation efforts undertaken by the UAE and that it was a tradition that will always be treasured. He called for more UAE nationals to donate their falcons to the release programme.

The release is conducted to allow the birds an opportunity to rejoin the wild population and to contribute to its growth and conservation. Releasing the birds also helps to further research into the exciting phenomena of bird migration.

A total of 26 Saker and 34 Peregrine falcons were released back into the wild. They included the falcons of several shaikhs and UAE nationals. Falcons released included those previously confiscated by concerned authorities after having been smuggled into the UAE illegally. The confiscation of those illegal birds is part of the UAE's efforts to implement stricter wildlife trade regulations.

The release was organised under the supervision of the EAD, with the support of its Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital. Organisers stated that this year, like the previous year, the birds were strong and in good shape.

As tradition goes, Arab falconers release their birds back into the wild when the hunting season is over, but with the advent of modern technology and wealth, it has become easier to keep the best falcons year after year. However, Shaikh Zayed had always set an example and was keen to keep the tradition alive by releasing even his own falcons annually into the wild.
The preparations for the release programme began with strict veterinary procedures, which start by choosing which birds are to be released. The birds were placed in controlled isolation at the Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital to check for any bacterial infection, parasites and to ensure that they are virus free. The birds were also tested for avian influenza and were found negative. Only healthy birds are usually included in the final release programme, to guarantee that there is no chance of infecting the wild falcon population.

To ensure their flight would be swift and efficient, each falcon underwent several weeks of specific training in a special camp and was fed a special diet to increase its weight, and thus improve its chances of survival during the crucial first two weeks of re-adaptation to life in the wild. The birds needed substantial reserves to fight against the elements and accomplish the extraordinary journey.

To facilitate subsequent identification in the case of recapture or being found dead, a microchip carrying a special identification number known as a PIT (passive induced transponder), weighing about 0.1 grams, was implanted under the skin of each bird. Moreover, each bird had a numbered ring fitted around its leg, which was provided by EAD, as part of the Emirates Bird Ringing Scheme.
Finally, the permit certificates from the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Flora and Fauna (CITES) were obtained to allow the birds to be exported from the UAE and imported into Pakistan.

This is the third time Chitral was chosen to release the falcons due to its being used as a migration route by Saker and Peregrine falcons moving northwards towards breeding grounds in central Asia. Another consideration was the availability of water and prey species for the released birds. Saker falcons in the wild primarily feed upon small rodents and other terrestrial animals in the wild.

The programme first began in April 1995 when 107 falcons were released in the Kharan District of Pakistan's province of Balochistan. In the years to follow, the releases were carried out in several districts in Pakistan, Kyrgyzstan, Iran, and along the China, Afghanistan Pakistan borders. Last year, 86 falcons were released back into the wild.

More UAE falcons released back into the wild in Pakistan

--------------------------------------------

June 23, 2013

29787390.jpg

This year’s release was witnessed by Dr Mugheer A Khaili, Director General of the Abu Dhabi Education Council.

93 UAE falcons released into the Kazakhstan wild

Shaikh Zayed Falcon Release Programme studies creatures’ migration patterns

Ninety-three falcons were released into the wild in Kazakhstan this year as part of the Shaikh Zayed Falcon Release Programme (SZFRP). This now means that a total of 1,554 of the culturally emblematic birds have been released since the programme started in 1995. Under the patronage of President His Highness Shaikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the initiative is now in its 19th successive year and indications are that the numbers of falcons in the wild are growing as a result of the work being done by Abu Dhabi to restore a bird crucial to local heritage.

Speaking following this year’s release, Mohammad Al Bowardi, managing director of the Environment Agency Abu Dhabi (EAD) said: “In the words of our father, the late Shaikh Zayed, ‘Our ancestors left us a legacy of traditions we are proud of. Our mission is to maintain and develop them as assets of the nation for future generations’. Abu Dhabi’s work to preserve this cultural icon is both unified and international and reflects our commitment in making a real difference to both global conservation and for the preservation of our culture.”

The release which was carried out through May 16 to 18 of this year included a total number of 46 Peregrine falcons (Falco peregrinus) and 47 Saker falcons (Falco cherrug) which were released in Kurchum, eastern Kazakhstan, for the fifth consecutive year.

The Republic of Kazakhstan is an ideal location to release falcons due to the availability of the prey essential for falcons to breed and prosper in addition to mountains and plains situated within the falcons’ migration range.

Out of the 93 falcons, 5 Peregrine falcons and 5 Saker falcons were fitted with solar battery-powered satellite transmitters to monitor their flight paths and to gather scientific data about their survival rates. The programme uses cutting-edge technology to study the migration patterns of falcons, which inform the breeding and releases of falcons to provide a better chance for the birds’ survival. On-site observation and continuous monitoring through SZFRP have indicated the programme is increasing the number of falcons in the wild in Kazakhstan.

93 UAE falcons released into the Kazakhstan wild | GulfNews.com

----------------------------------

June 23, 2013

Sheikh Zayed Falcon Release Programme releases 1,554 of the cultural icons since 1995

Ninety-three falcons were released into the wild in Kazakhstan this year as part of the Sheikh Zayed Falcon Release Programme (SZFRP). This now means that a total of 1,554 of the culturally emblematic birds have been released since the programme started in 1995. The programme, under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of the UAE, is now in its 19th successive year and indications are that the numbers of falcons in the wild are growing as a result of the work being done by Abu Dhabi to restore a bird crucial to local heritage.

Speaking following this year’s release, HE Mohammed Al Bowardi, Managing Director of EAD, said: “In the words of Our Father, the late Sheikh Zayed, ‘Our ancestors left us a legacy of traditions we are proud of. Our mission is to maintain and develop them as assets of the nation for future generations’. Abu Dhabi’s work to preserve this cultural icon is both unified and international and reflects our commitment in making a real difference to both global conservation and for the preservation of our culture.”

This year’s release, that was carried out from May 16-18, 2013 and included a total number of 46 Peregrine falcons (Falco peregrinus) and 47 Saker falcons (Falco cherrug) and were released in Kurchum, Eastern Kazakhstan for the fifth consecutive year. The Republic of Kazakhstan is an ideal location to release falcons due to its mountains and plains situated within the falcons’ migration range (that spreads through Russia, China, and Mongolia) and host to the prey essential for falcons to breed and prosper.

Out of the 93 falcons, 5 Peregrine falcons and 5 Saker falcons were fitted with solar battery powered satellite transmitters to monitor their flight paths and to gather scientific data about their survival rates. The programme uses cutting-edge technology to study the migration patterns of falcons, which inform the breeding and releases of falcons to provide a better chance for the birds’ survival. Onsite observation and continuous monitoring through SZFRP have indicated the programme is increasing the number of falcons in the wild in Kazakhstan.

This year’s release was witnessed by HE Dr. Mugheer A Khaili, Director General of Abu Dhabi Education Council and a member of the Board of International Fund for Houbara Conservation (IFHC), along with Grigory Pinchuk, the representative of Berdybek Saperbaev, Governor of East Kazakhstan Province, Mamerbek Khalilov, Deputy Governor of Kurchum Region, and university students from the Faculty of Biology and Natural Sciences at the University of Ust-Kamenogorsk. The students are part of a research programme in Kazakhstan supported by the Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital and IFHC in training and developing the students’ scientific skills.

The SZFRP is representative of Abu Dhabi’s holistic approach to conservation. Working with local populations is a vital element in the international efforts needed to conserve species which migrate across many countries. On the scientific initiative with Kazakh students Al Bowardi said: “This research helps us spread awareness amongst the locals in the release areas in Kazakhstan. Falconers visit universities and schools students and appear on Kazakh TV stations to show videos about releasing falcons and talk about falcons and falconry. By spreading the conservation message of this programme and getting local people to help the local government we have a better chance of protecting these falcons.”

The holistic approach is also evident in the cooperation between agencies within Abu Dhabi on the SZFRP. It is being provided with medical support by the Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital - the largest falcon hospital in the world – as well technical and logistical support from IFHC. Al Bowardi, who is also Deputy Chairman of IFHC, added: “This programme shows the UAE’s commitment to protecting falcons and their prey, and is a continuation of the country’s efforts to preserve other endangered species, such as the Asian Houbara, which is the preferred prey of falconers. By releasing them into the wild in their normal habitat, we give them the chance to reproduce and for populations to expand. This in its turn will help sustain the culture and heritage of falconry which has been important for thousands of years.”

Falconry has been practiced by Bedouins for many centuries to hunt for food such as rabbits or the Houbara. In modern times it has developed into a sport, while retaining its cultural and social significance. “From falconry we can learn many important values and skills. We learn to be at one with nature and the need to conserve the world around us. It also teaches us vital life skills such as respect, patience and working together, which make us better individuals and improves our community. In essence falconry is at the heart of the unique identity which makes our nation what it is today”, commented Al Bowardi.

The importance of falconry was recognised in 2010 when it was listed by UNESCO as an Intangible Cultural Heritage to Humanity. In the UNESCO citation falconry is “recognised by its community members as part of their cultural heritage, is a social tradition respecting nature and the environment, passed on from generation to generation, and providing them a sense of belonging, continuity and identity.”

The importance of both the Saker and Peregrine falcons for falconry has meant that Abu Dhabi has been at the forefront of conservation efforts for these species. Al Bowardi added: “Since the programme began in 1995, it has been a story of continuous success. This success is due to the commitment of HH Sheikh Khalifa, HH Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and deputy supreme commander of the UAE Armed Forces, and HH Sheikh Hamdan Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, ruler’s representative to the Western Region, to implement the long-term vision of the late Sheikh Zayed and provide a legacy for future generations to enjoy.”

Environment Agency - Abu Dhabi - News - Sheikh Zayed Falcon Release Programme releases 1,554 of the cultural icons since 1995

Last edited:
In 1995, the Falcon Release Program has been introduced by H.H. The Late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the first president of the United Arab Emirates. His idea was to release wild falcons back to the nature in order to preserve the natural falcon population.

The Sheikh Zayed Falcon Release Programme is overseen by the Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital, which was established by the Environment Agency – Abu Dhabi in 1999. The falcons are released back into the wild as part of an ambitious research programme to understand if migratory birds such as the Peregrines and Saker falcons can maintain the same migratory route after they have been used for Falconry. It also helps EAD understand if falconry birds can be readapted to the wild, and how best to select and prepare them to ensure the greatest success rates.

The program’s objective is to return wild peregrine falcons (Falco peregrinus) and saker falcons (Falco cherrug) to their original habitat to increase the wild falcon population. The Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital is rehabilitating those wild falcons for release. In this great conservational effort so far more than 1,300 falcons have been released in release locations like Pakistan, Iran or Kazakhstan. Every year during spring time, the falcons are taken from UAE to the release locations situated on the natural migration routes of wild falcons. The final release areas are carefully chosen in unpopulated regions and depend on the availability of food like small birds and water e.g. rivers and lakes. Several falcons are fitted with satellite transmitters to monitor the flight paths and provide data about the survival rates of the released falcons.

Abu Dhabi Falcon Hospital

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom