What's new

Fake news: Viral video clip in Indian media spreads false propaganda on UAE

I did not know you did not know that I was a Parsi when you asked me the question about Agni Devta.

I thought you were acting smart, and reacted accordingly.

The discussion was between me and Mangus up to that point.

You and later coffee simply jumped in.

Where is the insecurity? Me or you guys?

Cheers, Doc

Worship is a personal affair. Leave it at that. The "kid" asked you an innocent question. The rest of the cavalry barged in horns blowing without realising the focal point of the discussion. Such is the cavalry on this forum. :D

Back to topic. I am certain that you would agree with the cavalry's parting shot that the Indian media is vile and despicable :D @Joe Shearer ..uncle Joe we need your affirmation here Sir

Worship is a personal affair. Leave it at that. The "kid" asked you an innocent question. The rest of the cavalry barged in horns blowing without realising the focal point of the discussion. Such is the cavalry on this forum. :D

Back to topic. I am certain that you would agree with the cavalry's parting shot that the Indian media is vile and despicable :D @Joe Shearer ..uncle Joe we need your affirmation here Sir

I have stopped watching the news since Arnob disappeared and my cable guy did not offer The Republic.

@Joe Shearer incidentally is mortified about that

Cheers, Doc

Arnab Goswami disappeared? That guy is a legend amongst the Desi community here :D

Disappeared in that he left/was sacked from Times Now (which I get).

Then there was a big break while he worked things out for his new channel.

Then Razak Bhai (my cable guy) tells me it's not available. In any package.

Too lazy to shift to dish. So no Arnob evenings now.

Cheers, Doc

I did not know you did not know that I was a Parsi when you asked me the question about Agni Devta.

I thought you were acting smart, and reacted accordingly.

The discussion was between me and Mangus up to that point.

You and later coffee simply jumped in.

Where is the insecurity? Me or you guys?

Cheers, Doc

This is where your insecurity, childish and bully behaviour started, and continued bad behavour.
Thread is regarding a Hindu Temple and practices etc, no one interested in your personal practices, to mentioned fire worship, I asked a question ,later on when you decided to pull out of discussion I respected that, but carried on ...just take a moment and see what went on, and patience is a virtue, which you admitted that you have issues with.

You just want to be seen and heard? what this is called in your Med. Terms.

He wants to be heard. And be seen to be wrestling with a big boy.

Cheers, Doc

This is where your insecurity, childish and bully behaviour started, and continued bad behavour.
Thread is regarding a Hindu Temple and practices etc, no one interested in your personal practices, to mentioned fire worship, I asked a question ,later on when you decided to pull out of discussion I respected that, but carried on ...just take a moment and see what went on, and patience is a virtue, which you admitted that you have issues with.

I know you from somewhere.

Daktaar saab ...

Cheers, Doc

Sir, this is what I found, what i understand is since vedic times agni is worshiped, new concepts tried to manipulate the concept and tried to change the name or way its done, but it is being done.

Well, yes and no. Taking a definite stand about any particular of Hindu worship is fraught with danger. The best person to explain this that I have encountered within PDF is unfortunately a graceless, bigoted oaf, who concocted perhaps a total of 50 or so aliases, and harassed everybody. We can't ask for his explanation, so you have to be contented with my knowledge, as far as it stretches.

again, I am always ready to take corrections.

It is good to read this. You cannot fail to be among the most knowledgeable of us with this approach.

Please do not let it sound condescending; I notice that you are a member with more than my seniority, since 2008 in fact, and I wrote that with full consciousness of whom I was addressing. I can only salute your patience and your willingness to listen.

Agni is a reference to the fire-element, as well as the devatā who carries the same.

I feel the need to break up the argument into smaller portions, although that may seem to some to be an unnecessarily plodding approach.

Here it is pointed out that all the elements, earth, water, fire, and air, as conventionally listed, could be worshipped as an element, or as a personification of that element. For instance, there is a Hindu habit of worshipping the motherland; the motherland need not be represented, it is all around us, but some feel very happy and included, in a gathering where the land is shown as an actual woman.

Here, the argument is that fire, as the flame of a combustion, as well as a human-like representation, has been worshipped. Both are fit for worship.

Symbolizing one of the five base elements, some scholars have equated the worship of Agni to a more pre-hindu period where the worship mainly consisted of the visible elements of the universe such as water, earth, trees, air, etc. With that, some scholars have divided the various facets of God, such as Śiva, Gaṇeśa, Agni etc. into two groups of Vedic deities and Hindu deities thinking that with time the deities have changed their form or identity, or simply new names/Gods have come into existence in the minds of the population.

It gets tricky here.

This bit has directly to do with a deep social schism in India, between those who go with the conventional western view, that the Indo-Aryan language (in which the Vedas were written) entered India with groups of speakers, large families grouped together for protection or even small tribes, from the Central Asian steppes, and those who have recently rebelled against this conventional view and think that Indian culture was always present in the sub-continent, that Indo-Aryan, that they wrongly call Sanskrit, was the basis of the European world's languages.

People from the first school of thought think that as the first Indo-Aryan speakers came into South Asia, they had a fixed pantheon, easily identified as only a few deities, none of them visible, all emanating from natural phenomena (the storm, represented by Indra, the great sky above, represented by Dyaus Pitar, water, represented by Varuna, and so on). They think that this pantheon must have been similar to those that the Iranians must have worshipped, but before the coming of Zarathustra, or Zoroaster, who taught his race the worship of the One God.

As they entered deeper and deeper into the country, these alien settlers found their predecessors had their own pantheon, with very different deities. The question came up: what should be done about the situation?

According to those who have studied the whole issue and teased our imagination, the compromise adopted was that both sets of divinities were accommodated into a combined pantheon; everyone found a place there.

This analysis thinks, therefore, that there were the Vedic Gods, very similar to the German, the Celtic, the Scandinavian, even the Greek or the Latin; and there were the Old Gods, Siva, and the Goddess, and others who are not to be found in the Vedic hymns.

So what does the other school think? The school that says that everything originated in India, and that whatever Gods we know about are all to be found in the Vedas as well as in the common pantheon. So Rudra in the Vedas is associated with Siva. This is one of many examples. Agni is, of course, to be found in both places.

However this is not the case, as the traditions of India would agree that deities of the Rig Vedic period are the same as that of today, only their names may have changed slightly.
I.e. in the Rig Veda the name Iṣa is used for Iśvara/ Śiva, and the name Gaṇapati is an obvious name for Gaṇeśa. Garutman has become Garuda today, and similar different names exist.

As you will notice, your commentary is composed by one who belongs to the second, the OOI, or Out Of India school. If you internalise this discussion, you will be able to spot who belongs to which school of thought.

But do be careful; if you see a Hindu emptying his cup, or spilling some or part of the contents on the ground, he might be emptying it to wash it, he might be throwing away something given to him from somebody who he believes is not supposed to give him a drink, OR he might be performing a libation to the Gods.

Agni has always been worshipped as Agni, and the worship of Agni has been constantly maintained by the Agni hotris, who specifically are Agni-worshippers, and more recently the Brahma and Arya Samaja’s of India. Here the latter two go as far as rejecting any other physical form of God, and only worship Agni and offer the various mantras of the Rig Veda to the fire.

The toughest part. Let's see it in points:
  1. Agni has always been worshipped as Agni. True enough.
  2. Constantly maintained by the Agni hotris. Again, this has to be acknowledged as historically true, but not consistently observed nowadays.
  3. The Arya Samaj and the Brahmo Samaj have always worshipped the One God, a formless, shapeless being who is not to be shown as effigy. And they do take fire as the representation of that God, offering mantras to that god.
More or less kosher, a mildly tendentious analysis, but essentially correct.

Wherever you got this from, @undercover JIX, it is very interesting. Please see my remarks above, interleaved, in red, in case your device reads tincture.

I hope that will answer some of your queries.

Calm down. It is not that important, not that sensitive. Please see my detailed analysis of the issue, above.

Well, yes and no. Taking a definite stand about any particular of Hindu worship is fraught with danger. The best person to explain this that I have encountered within PDF is unfortunately a graceless, bigoted oaf, who concocted perhaps a total of 50 or so aliases, and harassed everybody. We can't ask for his explanation, so you have to be contented with my knowledge, as far as it stretches.

It is good to read this. You cannot fail to be among the most knowledgeable of us with this approach.

Please do not let it sound condescending; I notice that you are a member with more than my seniority, since 2008 in fact, and I wrote that with full consciousness of whom I was addressing. I can only salute your patience and your willingness to listen.

I feel the need to break up the argument into smaller portions, although that may seem to some to be an unnecessarily plodding approach.

Here it is pointed out that all the elements, earth, water, fire, and air, as conventionally listed, could be worshipped as an element, or as a personification of that element. For instance, there is a Hindu habit of worshipping the motherland; the motherland need not be represented, it is all around us, but some feel very happy and included, in a gathering where the land is shown as an actual woman.

Here, the argument is that fire, as the flame of a combustion, as well as a human-like representation, has been worshipped. Both are fit for worship.

It gets tricky here.

This bit has directly to do with a deep social schism in India, between those who go with the conventional western view, that the Indo-Aryan language (in which the Vedas were written) entered India with groups of speakers, large families grouped together for protection or even small tribes, from the Central Asian steppes, and those who have recently rebelled against this conventional view and think that Indian culture was always present in the sub-continent, that Indo-Aryan, that they wrongly call Sanskrit, was the basis of the European world's languages.

People from the first school of thought think that as the first Indo-Aryan speakers came into South Asia, they had a fixed pantheon, easily identified as only a few deities, none of them visible, all emanating from natural phenomena (the storm, represented by Indra, the great sky above, represented by Dyaus Pitar, water, represented by Varuna, and so on). They think that this pantheon must have been similar to those that the Iranians must have worshipped, but before the coming of Zarathustra, or Zoroaster, who taught his race the worship of the One God.

As they entered deeper and deeper into the country, these alien settlers found their predecessors had their own pantheon, with very different deities. The question came up: what should be done about the situation?

According to those who have studied the whole issue and teased our imagination, the compromise adopted was that both sets of divinities were accommodated into a combined pantheon; everyone found a place there.

This analysis thinks, therefore, that there were the Vedic Gods, very similar to the German, the Celtic, the Scandinavian, even the Greek or the Latin; and there were the Old Gods, Siva, and the Goddess, and others who are not to be found in the Vedic hymns.

So what does the other school think? The school that says that everything originated in India, and that whatever Gods we know about are all to be found in the Vedas as well as in the common pantheon. So Rudra in the Vedas is associated with Siva. This is one of many examples. Agni is, of course, to be found in both places.

As you will notice, your commentary is composed by one who belongs to the second, the OOI, or Out Of India school. If you internalise this discussion, you will be able to spot who belongs to which school of thought.

But do be careful; if you see a Hindu emptying his cup, or spilling some or part of the contents on the ground, he might be emptying it to wash it, he might be throwing away something given to him from somebody who he believes is not supposed to give him a drink, OR he might be performing a libation to the Gods.

2. Constantly maintained by the Agni hotris. Again, this has to be acknowledged as historically true, but not consistently observed nowadays.
  3. The Arya Samaj and the Brahmo Samaj have always worshipped the One God, a formless, shapeless being who is not to be shown as effigy. And they do take fire as the representation of that God, offering mantras to that god.

Wherever you got this from, @undercover JIX, it is very interesting. Please see my remarks above, interleaved, in red, in case your device reads tincture.

Calm down. It is not that important, not that sensitive. Please see my detailed analysis of the issue, above.

The elements continue to be venerated (especially water) and have their special rituals, prayers, and days for us Zoroastrians as well. That part has not changed.

I guess Hindus just made them into individual Gods, much like the Greeks, whereas we consider them to be the building blocks of life, creation of God.

Fire for instance the Son of God.

Cheers, Doc

I have stopped watching the news since Arnob disappeared and my cable guy did not offer The Republic.

@Joe Shearer incidentally is mortified about that

Cheers, Doc

He makes me feel ill. He is diseased.

The elements continue to be venerated (especially water) and have their special rituals, prayers, and days for us Zoroastrians as well. That part has not changed.

I guess Hindus just made them into individual Gods, much like the Greeks, whereas we consider them to be the building blocks of life, creation of God.

Fire for instance the Son of God.

Cheers, Doc

I was wondering; it seemed logical but I did not know for sure, and didn't want to guess. Does my explanation make sense?

You don't have patience because you lack the knowledge...very typical of people in the subcontinent.
Here in West, we are raised asking the tough questions to the teachers, they either try to reply to best of their knowledge or admit they do not know the answer and excuse themselves politely politely.

In teaching, I do have a lot of patience, and have no difficulty in explaining a concept over and over again, especially when I sense that the pupil or the group really wants to know and is trying hard.

On these fora, however, I have difficulties; people make glib assumptions based on shallow knowledge, or apply standards and norms applicable to their own very clearly defined circumstances to other circumstances, and generally behave in a stupid, obtuse fashion. At those times, I lose my temper.

This is a situation where even after being monumentally patient, the other person reacts with rudeness or with bad language or simply an unwillingness to admit that he or she might be wrong, or might need to learn.

Chief, not so, not uniformly.

Soon after the elections, certain media institutions were bought over by rich people who had apparently, from their sudden appearance in the world of media, gotten their orders. Those, Republic, for instance, and others that I do not wish to name, subsequently turned out to be prostitutes; not presstitutes, a term loved by the BJP, but outright prostitutes, and in saying that I am aware that I am being unfair to prostitutes.

Others, like NDTV, The Hindu and perhaps the Deccan Chronicle and the Deccan Herald, hold fast to their neutrality; to the bhakt, this is outrageous treachery, as only 'the voice of the turtle' is to be heard in the land. Vernacular media is more vulnerable, being less lavishly funded, than the English language media. Nothing we can about it.

So vernacular broadcasts and writings and the 'bought' are the ones you can count on to behave abominably.

It gets tricky here.

I appreciate you took your time to explain. I will have to read it few times.

So in short, somewhat what i said like Agni is being worshiped but there are two school of thoughts, Older and newer? one 100% does it and other indirectly as aspects, qualities or forms of gods.

I have programmed my device to read Laudanum.

Thank you again, and say Hi to Daktaar Saab. did he spend anytime in kolkota? long ago.

Fake news that became viral seen as sign that mainstream media in India is falling prey to propaganda and fake news, whether by choice or as acts of commission.

A story with a video clip that has gone viral in some mainstream Indian news outlets, claiming that His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the UAE Armed Forces, had chanted a Hindu prayer greeting at a ceremony organised by a Hindu group, is an obnoxious but carefully designed attempt by some groups to spread false propaganda and gain political mileage in India.

The video, tweeted by leading Indian channels such as Times Nowand Zee TV in the run up to Indian prime minister Narendra Modi’s visit to the UAE, claimed that Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed had chanted “Jai Siya Ram” (a common Hindu prayerful greeting addressing the deity Ram) while addressing a Hindu spiritual programme conducted by the guru Morari Bapu in Abu Dhabi in September 2016.

But the story is patently false. Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed never attended any such event: the person in the video shown attending the ceremony is actually Sultan Sooud Al Qassemi, a UAE-based columnist and commentator on Arab affairs.

But within hours of being posted, the fake stories went viral on social media – with hundreds of unsuspecting users retweeting the same fake news and some even passing “expert” judgement on them.

A user with the handle @sona2905, for instance, said: “If you understand geo-politics, you know what this means and where [Indian] PM Modi stands.”

Another user, with the handle @nandlala559, offered his “heartiest congratulations to Abu Dhabi Crown Prince for his valuable speech” and said: “Really Good Job for PM MODIJI/INDIA”.

Indian news media has recently gone on an overdrive in covering Modi’s visit to the UAE — commenting on everything from his diet to his legendary hugs to the warm reception he received from his hosts in the UAE.

Disturbing

The fact that a raft of top Indian channels would fail to distinguish between Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed – who was the Chief Guest at the Indian Republic Day celebrations in 2017 and visited India as a state guest in 2016 – and someone else from the UAE is thus very unlikely and raises several disturbing and alarming facts.

First, it is a clear indication that mainstream media in India is falling prey to propaganda and fake news, whether by choice or as acts of commission.

They do not have adequate safeguards in place to prevent such distorted half-truths from spreading far and wide, and are incapable of verifying basic facts – which forms the backbone of responsible journalism.

Secondly, when tracked online, the digital footprints of the viral videos show a clear pattern.

All the stories were uploaded between a similar time period: just ahead of Modi’s arrival in UAE.

And they all started the same way – at first were the gloating and unverified declarations.

Frenzy

Times Now, for instance, tweeted the video at 3.45 pm Indian time on February 10, noting: “When the Abu Dhabi Crown Prince was invited on stage to share his views, he began his speech with ‘Jai Siya Ram’, sending the crowd into frenzy.”

Even though scores of alert Twitterati immediately pointed out the glaring error to the channel, it retweeted the same video and text again at 12.05 am on February 11.

Later, the channel modified its story slightly to note that “Abu Dhabi's Sheikh Sultan started his speech with ‘Jai Siya Ram’” – carefully maintaining the Abu Dhabi link so that original resonance of the message was not lost.

Similar patterns played out across a host of other channels – from mainstream Zee News to more right-leaning India.com, postcard.news and several similar sites – who seemed to revel in proliferating fake news based on unverified sources.

Fake clip

With thousands of retweets, the same fake clip soon found traction in a section of regional news sites across India – from the Dainik Bhaskar and Jansatta in Hindi to ABP Ananda and 24 Ghanta in Bengali to Kannada Prabha in Kannada.

The pattern of a known fake and out-of-context video being deliberately recirculated multiple times by a selected section of the Indian media is a clear pointer that the objective of the exercise is to spread malicious and false propaganda on a swathe of unsuspecting news consumers.

Ironically, this fake and dangerous exercise gained traction on social media on a day when the Indian prime minister witnessed the groundbreaking ceremony of the first Hindu temple in Abu Dhabi – made possible by the generous gesture of Shaikh Mohammad in donating land to the Indian community for the purpose.

In his speeches at various fora on Sunday, Modi spoke at length about how India and the UAE have come closer in the past few years, sharing deeply cherished common goals and values.

The temple in Abu Dhabi is widely seen as one of those common values – it reflects the UAE’s moderation, tolerance and respect for all humanity irrespective of their faith or creed.

The allotment of the land for building the temple is also a testament of the UAE’s pluralistic values and its respect for the Hindu community in the country, which makes up an important part of its expat population.

Any attempt by any groups to demean Shaikh Mohammad Bin Zayed’s goodwill gesture or the UAE’s foundations of mutual respect and cultural co-existence for the sake of domestic political gains will not succeed – but could have a debilitating impact on the growing momentum of relations.

The culture and legacy of UAE-India relations are so similar that they revel in the an amazing range of pluralism – in religion, language, ethnicity, food and so on.

The allotment of the land for the temple in Abu Dhabi is in that spirit, and both India and the UAE are acutely aware of it.

But some don’t seem to get it – that’s why such fake news.

http://gulfnews.com/news/asia/india...ite&utm_medium=socialbar&utm_campaign=twitter

This is a defence news or bug news?

Ohh yeah for the religious bigots is is a big news.

I appreciate you took your time to explain. I will have to read it few times.

So in short, somewhat what i said like Agni is being worshiped but there are two school of thoughts, Older and newer? one 100% does it and other indirectly as aspects, qualities or forms of gods.

That's cleverly summarised! And there is a history of social friction in these two schools as well.

I have programmed my device to read Laudanum.

Thank you again, and say Hi to Daktaar Saab. did he spend anytime in kolkota? long ago.

You're welcome. He has been in Jamshedpur, but not, I think, closer. But let him answer tomorrow, when he returns to the forum.

That's cleverly summarised! And there is a history of social friction in these two schools as well.

in all religions, friction is always there, difference in opinions and interpretations. so the final take away point from this discussion of, if Hindus do fire worship or no is. Yes they Do.
exactly the same way how all hindus do not worship same god in a same way. some do some don't.

Do the Indians believe that they live in a parallel world where all the concocted, self boosting bravado will not be noticed and laughed upon?

My god, being a sane Indian, if there is any such thing, must be one embarrassing experience. Cringe worthy.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom