What's new

Fake Degrees Scandal

@Rescueranger

hmmmm. you replied in respect of Bill Gates ... but why you skipped Micheal Dell...???

I had purposefully mentioned both names so that you show that you can defend only one:)

:disagree:

Michael Dell, left, CEO of Dell Computer Inc., receives his associate's degree in computer science technology last month from Houston Community College Chancellor Bruce Leslie, center, and James R. Murphy, chairman of the board of trustees.

Michael Dell, left, CEO of Dell Computer Inc., receives his associate's degree in computer science technology last month | Community College Week Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET

Now go bother someone else with this pointless nonsense, and by the way, you should educate yourself on the history of Michael Faraday, Wikipedia is not a useful source of info.

Faraday biography

Salam!

Count reaches 29

Probe finds 29 lawmakers faked degrees
Tuesday, 13 Jul, 2010

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani civil servants said Tuesday that at least 29 MPs lied about their academic qualifications as part of an inquiry into allegations that hundreds of lawmakers faked their degrees.

The Supreme Court ordered the investigation after more than a dozen lawmakers were found in possession of fake degrees.

“We received 936 degrees, out of which verification of 511 degrees has been completed and 29 invalid degrees have been found,” Mehmood Raza, an adviser for the higher education commission, told a news conference.

Raza refused to name the MPs who submitted fake certificates in order to present themselves as eligible to contest elections.

The commission will present its full report to lawmakers on July 16.

Former military ruler Pervez Musharraf introduced rules for 2008 polls that required elected officials to hold a bachelor's degree. The condition was later waived by President Asif Ali Zardari's government.

But the supreme court, which has frequently taken a stance against Zardari's unpopular civilian government, ordered that qualifications of all those who contested the 2008 elections be checked.

Any member of parliament whose degree is found to be invalid will be unseated and an election held to replace them.

Count reaches 29

Probe finds 29 lawmakers faked degrees
Tuesday, 13 Jul, 2010

ISLAMABAD: Pakistani civil servants said Tuesday that at least 29 MPs lied about their academic qualifications as part of an inquiry into allegations that hundreds of lawmakers faked their degrees.

The Supreme Court ordered the investigation after more than a dozen lawmakers were found in possession of fake degrees.

“We received 936 degrees, out of which verification of 511 degrees has been completed and 29 invalid degrees have been found,” Mehmood Raza, an adviser for the higher education commission, told a news conference.

Raza refused to name the MPs who submitted fake certificates in order to present themselves as eligible to contest elections.

The commission will present its full report to lawmakers on July 16.

Former military ruler Pervez Musharraf introduced rules for 2008 polls that required elected officials to hold a bachelor's degree. The condition was later waived by President Asif Ali Zardari's government.

But the supreme court, which has frequently taken a stance against Zardari's unpopular civilian government, ordered that qualifications of all those who contested the 2008 elections be checked.

Any member of parliament whose degree is found to be invalid will be unseated and an election held to replace them.

i guess he knew something we didnt!

i guess he knew something we didnt!

What? That there was a need to remove people that were unacceptable to him? That only 4.7% of the appropriate-age people attend a university and therefore violating the constitutionally guaranteed fundamental right of > 95% of the population to stand for public office?

Might as well create the electoral systems of early 19th century Europe where the franchise/suffrage was limited to nobles and capitalist men only.

Parliamentarians and legislators committing fraud and forgery to fill a requirement that had no legal basis neither means that the requirement was somehow beneficial (disregarding its legal position altogether) nor does it equate to some foresight.

What? That there was a need to remove people that were unacceptable to him? That only 4.7% of the appropriate-age people attend a university and therefore violating the constitutionally guaranteed fundamental right of > 95% of the population to stand for public office?

Might as well create the electoral systems of early 19th century Europe where the franchise/suffrage was limited to nobles and capitalist men only.

Parliamentarians and legislators committing fraud and forgery to fill a requirement that had no legal basis neither means that the requirement was somehow beneficial (disregarding its legal position altogether) nor does it equate to some foresight.

Sir in India we don't have any rule that only an educated person has to contest in polls, infact lot of MP are below degree level educated i think though i don't have actual statistics with me now. In this thread i came to know that Mr. Musharaf made this rule, so why wasn't it abolished later?? also this seems to be a bad thing for people uneducated since they cannot contest. I hope u can throw some light on this part of the story. Appreciate ur reply.

Sir in India we don't have any rule that only an educated person has to contest in polls, infact lot of MP are below degree level educated i think though i don't have actual statistics with me now. In this thread i came to know that Mr. Musharaf made this rule, so why wasn't it abolished later?? also this seems to be a bad thing for people uneducated since they cannot contest. I hope u can throw some light on this part of the story. Appreciate ur reply.

The rule was there when the elections were announced. Hence people came up with fake degrees. It was revoked later since it was deemed to be unconstitutional.

The people who forged degrees should be punished though.

would u agree with me that our parliamentarians have no idea about what 'public service' is - read up the 7 rules of public service or shd i write them down for you!

would u agree with me that our parliamentarians have no idea about what 'public service' is - read up the 7 rules of public service or shd i write them down for you!

Does that justify a ban that has no constitutional basis (regard for the law perhaps?) or do sympathies towards a usurper mean that we blanket cover an entire political system? At least I choose not to support either usurpers or legislators who cheat and forge documents.

Competent, visionary and articulate and radical leaders don't emerge suddenly. You don't grow parliamentarians when there are no parliaments for decades (including rubber stamp ones) and there is no progressive political debate or democratic culture within the society. Only after a continuous process of democratic governance, where citizens play their part and seek accountability and demand better governance, can we look forward to an economically, socially and politically progressive society. As long as we continue to blanket cover "corrupt politician" and teach this to our kids (breeding hate?), we might never see an effective political culture. What the future demands from us today is to give better policy inputs, demand accountability from our local legislators, demand to meet our legislator for effective debate frequently, encouraging democratic norms in our society and unless we create an environment of democratic norms within the social structure, there is no hope. This requires commitment, perseverance and resolve from the public.

There is hope and although the proportion of feudal parliamentarians hasn't declined considerably, there are notable exceptions who stand out as symbols of honesty, integrity and eloquence.

You did not choose to become one. Neither do any of your or my colleagues want to become public officials. It goes without saying that we are complacent when it comes to this and pointing fingers is just a way for us to absolve our selves of our apathy towards the state of affairs.

THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC LIFE

1. SELFLESSNESS - holders of public office shd take decisions solely in terms of the public interest. they shd not do so to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family or friends.

where do our parliamentarians stack up against no-1 or shd i continue.

At least I choose not to support either usurpers or legislators who cheat and forge documents.

where have i stated i do !!!?

THE SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC LIFE

1. SELFLESSNESS - holders of public office shd take decisions solely in terms of the public interest. they shd not do so to gain financial or other material benefits for themselves, their family or friends.

where do our parliamentarians stack up against no-1 or shd i continue.

Who in the entire world can stack up to the seven principles?

Our legislators are incompetent and their legislative participation symbolizes that with only a handful being actively involved in legislative reform or public accountability. The parliamentarians in the National Assembly of France following the French Revolution weren't the upright, honest, selfless and competent ones the mobs would have wanted. However, over time and with public participation they did create a genuinely progressive political environment that breeds legislators who're upto many tasks assigned to them.

Don't force me to go on a derailing tone. You know it's not a welcome outcome of any debate. The issue here is their fake degrees. The scums should be thrown out. We can deal with the rest later and we should take them to task.

2- INTEGRITY - in carrying out public business, including making public appointments, awarding contracts or recommending individuals for rewards and benefits, holders of public office shd make choices on merit.

Who in the entire world can stack up to the seven principles?

Don't force me to go on a derailing tone. You know it's not a welcome outcome of any debate.

and then what?

i made a 'one liner' a rhetorical question and u have run-off on a tangent for no reason at all !

Back
Top Bottom