What's new

Facts on Siachen

Status
Not open for further replies.
A peaceful transition for Goa would have been far preferable. Look at how the Chinese got Hong Kong back: the advantages of continued trade with China far exceeded the annoyance that would have been incurred had the Brits tried to keep HK after the lease expired. The eventual peaceful transition was made possible because both China and Britain cultivated good informal relations with each other.

Sure Hong Kong was a smooth transition because the Brits let go easily and they had a formal document ending the lease.

Portugal had no intentions of ending its rule. It had rebuffed diplomatic overtures and taken a hardline position of no negotiation.

But of course you must know this, what is your reason to make correlation between these two conflicts. You just want to showcase Indian belligerence?

You are forgetting what the generals lack, for it necessarily is not part of their mission: vision. It's for the civilian leadership to set the task and the military to achieve it. Letting blind enforcement of sovereignty claims dictate hostility is to let the tail wag the dog.

No Indian general has had a say ever on politics. The vision has always been civilians, with the implementation delegated to the military.

You are confusing India and Pakistan here I think, cases in point- Haji Pir pass and execution of Kargil war within political guidelines.

The vision of civilians to resolve Kargil is already there, the execution has been the contention.

41WKT24NBML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

President Kennedy's most famous book, Profiles in Courage, describes elected politicians who did the right thing regardless of the damage to their careers and why they did so. Why not give it a read? It's available in both English and Hindi at numerous Indian libraries.

Right thing? This has been done half a dozen times in the past, one of its results being the 1999 Kargil war where my eldest bro nearly snuffed it! Do you really think after that I'd believe those who never keep their word? Trust me, a full blown war is much better than having a so-called peace and see our blood relatives die in "minor incidents of distrust" or some other politically-correct crap statement like that. At least in a full fledged conflict, you know what to do and the objectives are clear. More soldiers have died in our country fighting sick terrorists than in all conflicts.

A drawdown of Army from siachen glacier would be equal to Israel giving away Jerusalem as the "palestinian" capital.

And if it has to be stopped, as an Indian I support even if the Army overrides the corrupt politicians' orders. No need for a political system that weakens our country.

A peaceful transition for Goa would have been far preferable. Look at how the Chinese got Hong Kong back:

Were the British in Hong Kong doing this to the native Chinese?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom