What's new

Facebook buys messaging app WhatsApp for $16bn

I got rid of my facebook long ago nobody should have so much of your info at their disposal especially with all the apps they keep buying out.

I got rid of my facebook long ago nobody should have so much of your info at their disposal especially with all the apps they keep buying out.

Haven't gone that far yet, but I'm getting closer everyday. Privacy is of course important, but the main reason I use FB less and less is because I've just generally lost interest. That and I can't stand the corny drama.

Haven't gone that far yet, but I'm getting closer everyday. Privacy is of course important, but the main reason I use FB less and less is because I've just generally lost interest. That and I can't stand the corny drama.

The minute you update your facebook you get ads all over your page based on what you wrote lol.

Look at Google's recent acquisitions, Boston Dynamics (Robotics), Motorola, Schaft (make humanoid robots), Nest, Deepming (AI), even few biotech companies. You'll wake up 15 years from now, and be a slave of google in one way or other.

Google is going to be becoming the largest robotic manufacturer IMO. I think Google will shape the next generation of the American military, all Robotics, all connected (talk about a common data link platform anywhere, anytime)

The internet isn't going away, and Google is not abandoning the internet.
What I meant is that they are diversifying and hedging their bets.

Google's Chromebook (which Microsoft rightfully mocked as a spymaster's dream) is a gamble that people will put everything on the cloud and give up personal PCs.
And i've put so much in cloud...:tsk:
But the good thing is I can access it from any device ....anywhere in the world.
All these tech companies have made us so dependent on them.

the estimated market value for tencent's wechat is even more crazy

WeChat, owned by internet giant Tencent, strives to be everything at once: a platform for chatting, shopping, gaming, and even banking. Users can send a Lunar New Year’s “red envelope” of digital cash, buy a soda from a vending machine, book a doctor appointment or hail a taxi.

WeChat is expected to bring in revenues of 6.8 billion yuan ($1.1 billion) this year and about 40% more in 2015. According to estimates by Nomura, WeChat’s average revenue per user is $7 per user, compared to $1 per user on WhatsApp. And investors seem to appreciate the extra cash flow: analysts at Barclays estimate that WeChat is valued at about $30 billion as a standalone business, or about $95 per user, easily exceeding the $19 billion and $45 per user that Facebook paid for WhatsApp.

WeChat is nothing like WhatsApp—and that makes it even more valuable – Quartz
*online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303775504579394061580493966

Last edited:
And i've put so much in cloud...:tsk:
But the good thing is I can access it from any device ....anywhere in the world.

All these tech companies have made us so dependent on them.

Oh my! You haven't seen this video then. :D

Have you watched the video? I mean, such a serious reply!! :what:
I did....and I think that guy was right about old mobiles and cloud....rest he was exaggerating :D

Now try this ... @Dem!god you too

Google was ready to pay more than $19 billion for WhatsApp: Report

thumb.cms

Google reportedly went all out to thwart Facebook's acquisition of mobile messaging app WhatsApp.

NEW DELHI: Internet search titan Google reportedly went all out to thwart Facebook's acquisition of mobile messaging app WhatsApp.

According to a report by TheInformation, Google CEO Larry Page went to meet WhatsApp chief Jan Koum last week in a desperate bid to prevent the deal from materializing.

The report cites three sources claiming that Page reached out to Koum upon hearing of Zuckerberg's offer of giving him a seat on the board of directors of Facebook as part of the acquisition deal.

An unidentified source quoted Page telling Koum, "Stay independent as you've always planned. You're a big threat to Facebook. And joining Facebook would have a major impact on how things play out for years to come."

It goes on to say that Google was ready to outbid Facebook's $19 billion offer, but Koum reportedly felt that Facebook would give it more independence and that the two companies shared the vision of bringing people closer.

Google itself was not too happy about shelling out $19 billion for a messaging app, but was willing nevertheless as it wanted to keep WhatsApp out of Facebook's hands, the report says.

This is not the first time Google has approached WhatsApp. Even before WhatsApp agreed for Facebook's $19 billion deal, speculation was rife that Google had tried its luck at acquiring the popular messaging service.

A report by Fortune cited two separate sources to claim that Google had earlier offered to purchase WhatsApp for $10 billion. However, it's unclear exactly when the search giant attempted to make that deal. The bid came without the promise of a Google board seat, unlike Facebook's agreement, according to that report.

The Information's latest report has cited three unnamed sources as saying that Google was even willing to top Facebook's $19 billion offer. Google CEO Larry Page also assured WhatsApp co-founder Jan Koum that Google will allow the messaging startup to operate independently and compete with Facebook.

However, WhatsApp founders rebuffed the offer as they reportedly felt their company was able to identify more with Facebook's philosophy.

It also mentions that Google had made an offer to WhatsApp wherein it would get the right to be notified in case WhatsApp entered acquisition talks, in exchange for a sum amounting to millions of dollars. WhatsApp did not accept the offer made a few months ago.

Following the deal with Facebook, Koum would take a place at Facebook's board and has assured that "nothing" would change for users immediately as Facebook plans to run WhatsApp independently, much like Instagram.

Google was ready to pay morethan $19 billion for WhatsApp: Report - TOI Mobile | The Times of India Mobile Site

Now try this ... @Dem!god you too
Google was ready to pay more than $19 billion for WhatsApp: Report
yes maybe...but it just an acquisition....
don't get too dependent on cloud storage......
and don't get too dependent on technology....there may be many side effects which we have not yet encountered.....
after the NSA story.....one must become caution...of the after effects of these things......

yes maybe...but it just an acquisition....
don't get too dependent on cloud storage......
and don't get too dependent on technology....there may be many side effects which we have not yet encountered.....
after the NSA story.....one must become caution...of the after effects of these things......
I have no idea why would somebody be interested in my data.
I am still in 2 minds about cloud storage.

I have no idea why would somebody be interested in my data.
I am still in 2 minds about cloud storage.
that is what all think...
just think of it....
suppose someone...cracked you Id and used it for personal or for some kind of confidential document....
then it will be you who will be in trouble...knowing the fact that you constantly spied.....
so, its better to be safe...
BTW its happening chance is very low...

Back
Top Bottom