What's new

F-35A in full loadout for first time

Yeah, the F-35 was envisioned with a full EW suite. But the current F-35 doesn't come with it. Not everything that was envisioned becomes true.

The fact is I am quoting people who were involved in the program. The Barracuda was designed by BAE based on the same design as the F-22's EW suite.

And how are Generals involved not know anything about their primary equipment? I have quoted General Mike Hostage who has 4000+ hours air time and is the commander of the Air Combat Command, the USAF's largest and most important command. How is this guy ignorant?

Anyway, if you successfully jam X band, then you are reducing the enemy's capability significantly. The F-35 was definitely armed to beat X band, there's no doubt about that. This capability should become available by Block 4.

Make what you can of this statement about the Rafale.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/iaf-chief-dhanoa-flies-rafale-jet-in-france/1/1005405.html
The Rafale combat aircraft will come with various India- specific modifications including Israeli helmet mounted displays, radar warning receivers and low band jammers, among others.

So both aircraft do come with a full EW suite, but that doesn't equate to full spectrum EA capability. The two terms are not the same.

Well, with respect, you are wrong, I know for a fact that F-35 have a full spectrum EW package, don't ask me how I know, I just know, their (F-35's) capability is at least on par or beyond EA-18G Growler at this stage. I can tell you this, the EW Suite F-35 uses is a product of Boeing and BAe, and my brother have inside information on F-35, I can tell you more in 25 years

And this is also echoed by Gen Mike Hostage in 2014 in this article.

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/06/gen-mike-hostage-on-the-f-35-no-growlers-needed-when-war-starts/

General Hostage can have his view on F-22 and F-35, but what I have interpreted from what Hostage said about it and what you have interpreted about F-22 and F-35 is different, at no point Hostage Doubt the capability of F-35, in fact, he have high regard on F-35, F-22 is a different aircraft, they were used in a different picture, I can comment on a tank and a IFV, as a Cavalryman, I always favour IFV instead of Tank, but does that mean Tank platform is not good?

F-22 is needed because they are need to fill the Air Superiority Gap, which I have said for numerous time, F-35 on the other hand do a different job, the Air Force needed F-35 more than F-22, because CAS is more important for the Air force to win a war than just shooting down enemy fighter. What hostage said is that F-35 air-air combat have not been preformed very well in the past, but as he also pointed out, shooting down enemy aircraft is only one job of F-35, there are many more, the air force is in need of F-35 as a multi-role platform. This is what Hostage said in the article I mentioned above.

You were talking about the time when PCA will be in the picture. And there will also be hundreds of J-20 present.

China may be able to field 300 or so J-20 (It take 10 years from 2006 to 2016 for LM to make 210 F-35, so giving 300 J-20, which is more complicated to build is very generous), but US would have completely fielding 1700 F-35 already, J-20 may be better than F-35, but 300 against 1700? There are no way China can win the USAF in 2030s Hence your point is moot as China would still be depending on its 4th gen aircraft in 2030. When 6th Gen Aircraft is about the fly.

The very fact that we don't know gives credence to the assumption that the J-20 can either be superior, inferior or at par.

But the fact that we all don't know how much F-35 would grow with negate the assumption of J-20 for better or worse, the problem is, we don't know, so, we can't assume.

They are catching up with the J-20 and PAK FA. You may have 1500 jets by 2030 while the Russians or Chinese may have only 500 each. But if those 500 jets are better than what you have in your inventory, then most engagements will favour them, not you.

It's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE for China and Russia to build that many airframe in just 12 years (Given 2017 is almost gone) you cannot just put a random number and say the Chinese can build X number of Jet in Y number of time.....

F-35 is a multi-national project which production is world wide, LM have facilities where Netherland , Italy, Turkey, Israel and Japan can build their own F-35, yet from 2006 to 2017, with 11 years of production there are 230 F-35 airframe being build. And F-35 has enter second phase LRIP already.

J-20 is still a Prototype and limited Production Jet which they build 10 last year, also J-20 is more complex platform than F-35, it's less complex than F-22 but do bear in mind, it take 15 years to build just 185 F-22 airframe. And you are talking about Production facilities in the US where they were never delay, unlike their R&D operation. The problem is, China is still fine tuning J-20, which mean I do not see any large batch production (large batch mean 30+ a year) will be started at least until 2020. By 2030, it's lucky if the Chinese have 200 J-20, 500 is a dream figure.

Consider this,

F-35 ~ 23 per year by LM and World wide
F-22 ~ 11 per year by LM

and you are talking about Chinese can pump 50+ J-20 a year in the next 10 year beating LM production rate with an airframe still in prototype/Limited Production mode and with CAIC have other 4th gen jet in the pipeline?? LOL, is it a bit far fetch?

Russian PAKFA didn't even enter Initial Production and still at Prototype stage with first flight done in 2010. It would be lucky if they can put PAKFA or Su-57 in LRIP in 2030, if at all...

That's isn't what the 2030 document was talking about. The report assumed that the F-22 and F-35 are no longer on par.

Take India for example, India's already caught up with the west when it comes to military technology. Our development is now on par with Europe or the US. Today, we are capable of developing technologies at the same level the US can. Meaning, if we start a new program simultaneously with Europe or the US today, we will be on par with them in the future. And China reached this stage 10 years ago.

umm, if you say so, I am not in a position to wake people up from their dream.

Either you have the technology and you are doing nothing about it or you do not process key military technology in India. because all I see is Indian buying equipment from US and Russia. How long do you suppose India can start a 5th Gen program? Next year? The problem is, the technology as of today, the US is still ahead than the rest of the world for a large margin, you have to be quite navie and honestly, stupid to have believe otherwise.

but hey, you are entitle to what you think,.

The CNO has not criticized the F-35 in the article I quoted. If you put the same technology as the F-35 in a F-16, the F-16 will be an entirely different fighter than what it is today. The F-35 isn't only about stealth. I forgot who but someone important in the US said that 5th gen is more about networking and sensor fusion than stealth. In the article, the CNO has criticized stealth in general.

I could say the same of you. Why couldn't he be talking about the F-22 or even the B-2? He was talking about stealth in general and stealth is something he is obviously aware of.

The point is the American concept of stealth that has been tried and tested for decades is slowly coming to an end. Not because others are making stealth aircraft, but that radars and other sensors have caught up with the American stealth.

This is why he says:
https://news.usni.org/2015/02/04/cno-greenert-navys-next-fighter-might-not-need-stealth-high-speed
“It has to have an ability to carry a payload such that it can deploy a spectrum of weapons. It has to be able to acquire access probably by suppressing enemy air defenses, Greenert said.
“Today it’s radar but it might be something more in the future.”

I don't know how you can come up with that conclusion.

The whole article Greenert said it is not about stealth ALONE, stealth is a tool for aircraft to penetrate radar, but what we know now is not going to be the same as to what we know in the future, and today's challenge is Radar, but it might be something more in the future.

He is saying just stealth may not be able to win a war in the future, and he is correct, but in the future, we can't possibly know what will happen, the problem is that is happening in the future, not now.

I can name about 600 potential way to be a threat in the future, it does not mean they will all pan out, what happened in 6th Gen is the business then, he is correct in saying Stealth is overrated, and we all know Stealth can be detected, but in today's term, who actually process of this technology? Physics and Chemical Properties may have advance enough for the future, but we don't know. And when you build something, it is not going to last forever, because we don't know anything in the future.

An old mentor once told me, when you talk about fighting a war, you look at what you have now, not what you MIGHT have in 2 weeks time, not what you MIGHT have in 4 weeks time, you go to war with the Equipment you have now, at that moment, other things is BS. And as I said, greenert is said his piece about stealth, but as long as we can still keep it viable in the foreseeable future, and keep a generation ahead, it is a suitable and more importantly, ONLY option we have at this moment, he can think of what year 2050 or 2100 will be like, and I would say by then Stealth is a moot point, but we are building equipment to fight a war now. Not in 2050, not in 2100.

Well, with respect, you are wrong, I know for a fact that F-35 have a full spectrum EW package, don't ask me how I know, I just know, their (F-35's) capability is at least on par or beyond EA-18G Growler at this stage. I can tell you this, the EW Suite F-35 uses is a product of Boeing and BAe, and my brother have inside information on F-35, I can tell you more in 25 years

And this is also echoed by Gen Mike Hostage in 2014 in this article.

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/06/gen-mike-hostage-on-the-f-35-no-growlers-needed-when-war-starts/

If the F-35 indeed has the ability to employ EA from 0.5GHz to 18 or even 40GHz, then it's good enough against currently deployed threats.

But I don't see any reason for Boeing to lie about it. They want to sell aircraft that only the US can buy anyway. So there literally is no point in someone like Boeing's CEO going around saying the F-35 doesn't have full spectrum EA capability. And those who are going to make the purchase will know everything there is to know about both aircraft. So that simply goes against common sense. Why will Boeing lie about something so obvious?

It doesn't fool the enemy either. It's way too stupid a ploy. Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

General Hostage can have his view on F-22 and F-35, but what I have interpreted from what Hostage said about it and what you have interpreted about F-22 and F-35 is different, at no point Hostage Doubt the capability of F-35, in fact, he have high regard on F-35, F-22 is a different aircraft, they were used in a different picture, I can comment on a tank and a IFV, as a Cavalryman, I always favour IFV instead of Tank, but does that mean Tank platform is not good?

The article you linked to, I have read it before, but there is something really important that you need to focus on:
At least one senior allied official I’ve spoken with believes the F-35 will be “undefeatable” through the 2020s

This is what I said too. The F-35 will remain undefeatable through the 2020s. It's only after the PAK FA and J-20 come into the picture that things will begin to change.

F-22 is needed because they are need to fill the Air Superiority Gap, which I have said for numerous time, F-35 on the other hand do a different job, the Air Force needed F-35 more than F-22, because CAS is more important for the Air force to win a war than just shooting down enemy fighter. What hostage said is that F-35 air-air combat have not been preformed very well in the past, but as he also pointed out, shooting down enemy aircraft is only one job of F-35, there are many more, the air force is in need of F-35 as a multi-role platform. This is what Hostage said in the article I mentioned above.

I would suggest reading the article you posted in full. The General says that he is forced to use the F-35 for air superiority.
“The F-35 was fundamentally designed to go do that sort of thing [take out advanced IADS]. The problem is, with the lack of F-22s, I’m going to have to use F-35s in the air superiority role in the early phases as well, which is another reason why I need all 1,763. I’m going to have some F-35s doing air superiority, some doing those early phases of persistent attack, opening the holes, and again, the F-35 is not compelling unless it’s there in numbers,” the general says.

China may be able to field 300 or so J-20 (It take 10 years from 2006 to 2016 for LM to make 210 F-35, so giving 300 J-20, which is more complicated to build is very generous), but US would have completely fielding 1700 F-35 already, J-20 may be better than F-35, but 300 against 1700? There are no way China can win the USAF in 2030s Hence your point is moot as China would still be depending on its 4th gen aircraft in 2030. When 6th Gen Aircraft is about the fly.

Please don't underestimate China's ability to manufacture. It's way too good. Also, as far as I know, the USAF is expected to receive the last of their 1700 F-35s only after 2035.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-lockheed-fighter-report-idUSBRE92A13R20130311

By the time the US gets all 1700 F-35s, the Chinese may have reached those numbers as well.

It's LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE for China and Russia to build that many airframe in just 12 years (Given 2017 is almost gone) you cannot just put a random number and say the Chinese can build X number of Jet in Y number of time.....

Russia won't, and it has more to do with finances than industrial capability, but China will. By 2030, China will easily surpass the military industrial production of both the US and EU combined. And this isn't just industry speculation.

Consider this,

F-35 ~ 23 per year by LM and World wide
F-22 ~ 11 per year by LM

and you are talking about Chinese can pump 50+ J-20 a year in the next 10 year beating LM production rate with an airframe still in prototype/Limited Production mode and with CAIC have other 4th gen jet in the pipeline?? LOL, is it a bit far fetch?

They will comfortably achieve those numbers. Take the Russians for example. Their financial power is many times smaller, but since 2005, they have manufactured over 500 Su-30s, 34s and 35s for themselves and export. And a pretty large chunk of that production started only around 2010. Their production numbers are limited by their budget, not capacity. They can manufacture 75 Su-30MKIs a year if necessary.

So you can only imagine what China will be able to do between 2020 and 2030. Their shipbuilding capacity is already so high, they have already matched the American production capacity.

Russian PAKFA didn't even enter Initial Production and still at Prototype stage with first flight done in 2010. It would be lucky if they can put PAKFA or Su-57 in LRIP in 2030, if at all...

It's already in LRIP stage.
http://airrecognition.com/index.php...pak-fa-low-rate-initial-production-batch.html
The United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) is gearing up for the manufacture of a low-rate initial production (LRIP) batch of T-50 fifth-generation fighters (Russian acronym - PAKFA) for the delivery to the Russian Aerospace Force (RusAF), according to the Izvestia daily.

umm, if you say so, I am not in a position to wake people up from their dream.

Either you have the technology and you are doing nothing about it or you do not process key military technology in India. because all I see is Indian buying equipment from US and Russia. How long do you suppose India can start a 5th Gen program? Next year? The problem is, the technology as of today, the US is still ahead than the rest of the world for a large margin, you have to be quite navie and honestly, stupid to have believe otherwise.

but hey, you are entitle to what you think,.

Let me explain my point a bit more. We are buying stuff that's operational today. For example, the Apache, Chinook, P-8, T-90, Rafale etc. This is all the result of past development when we were either behind or nowhere in the picture. I'm talking about future development, like next gen tanks/IFVs, next gen aircraft, next gen UAVs/UCAVs etc.

Technology as of today was developed long ago, so we are behind in that, and the US is definitely ahead. But we have caught up at the lab level for upcoming technologies. That's why we are now in a position to develop space shuttles or have our own next gen programs.
_89771465_bd997ede-bccb-47d4-a931-a64a6b85aca6.jpg

So what I'm saying is when it comes to future technologies, we will be on par in some, behind in some, or ahead in some. Because our financial power is growing, our scientific power is growing, our requirements are growing, we will catch up.

But if a $2.5B economy has embarked on space shuttle programs, hypersonic programs etc, you can only imagine where the Chinese are today as a $11.5T economy. And let's not forget that India is not militarily threatened by the US, but China is, so they have more incentive to pursue modern technologies at a faster pace.

I don't know how you can come up with that conclusion.

The whole article Greenert said it is not about stealth ALONE, stealth is a tool for aircraft to penetrate radar, but what we know now is not going to be the same as to what we know in the future, and today's challenge is Radar, but it might be something more in the future.

He is saying just stealth may not be able to win a war in the future, and he is correct, but in the future, we can't possibly know what will happen, the problem is that is happening in the future, not now.

I can name about 600 potential way to be a threat in the future, it does not mean they will all pan out, what happened in 6th Gen is the business then, he is correct in saying Stealth is overrated, and we all know Stealth can be detected, but in today's term, who actually process of this technology? Physics and Chemical Properties may have advance enough for the future, but we don't know. And when you build something, it is not going to last forever, because we don't know anything in the future.

An old mentor once told me, when you talk about fighting a war, you look at what you have now, not what you MIGHT have in 2 weeks time, not what you MIGHT have in 4 weeks time, you go to war with the Equipment you have now, at that moment, other things is BS. And as I said, greenert is said his piece about stealth, but as long as we can still keep it viable in the foreseeable future, and keep a generation ahead, it is a suitable and more importantly, ONLY option we have at this moment, he can think of what year 2050 or 2100 will be like, and I would say by then Stealth is a moot point, but we are building equipment to fight a war now. Not in 2050, not in 2100.

No, you misunderstood what Greenert said. He is saying that stealth that came about due to shaping is overrated, that's why he talks about EW. This is what I have been saying as well.

Take the F-22 for example, it does not have EA capability. 90-95% of its stealth comes only from shaping. The rest from absorption. Shaping based stealth is not "real invisibility", it's just a ruse, a sleight of hand to fool the radar. It pretends to be a sparrow. So they are making radars smarter so it figures out the trick. When such a radar is made, already has been made, and deployed, it kills the ability of the F-22 to be stealthy.

Take the Rafale for example. It does not have shaping but it has EA capability. And it also pretends to be a sparrow, but instead of pretending, it has put on a disguise instead. The radar has to work a lot harder to figure out the disguise.

As for the PAK FA, it has both shaping and EA capability. So it's pretending to be a sparrow as well as wearing a disguise. Now the radar has to do more work.

This is what Greenert is talking about. You need multiple options for stealth, not just small aspects of it.

If a F-16 with the correct radar is able to detect the F-35 at very long range, then all the money spent on the F-35 has become quite useless. This is what's happening today. Your only option now is to defeat the F-16 with EA.

It's very bad news when someone says that the F-35 that will achieve IOC only in 2018 but will become useless in 2030. The correct date should have been 2038 at the minimum, not 2030. 2038 because it is the time necessary to develop a modernized version and begin MLUs. That's about the time when new gen aircraft also become available.

You see, when you say, "you go to war with the Equipment you have now," when it comes to fighter aircraft, what you have today is what you will have even in 2030. The gestation period is at least 15 years at the minimum.

Last edited:
This was exactly my point. The propaganda was F-35 can replace the F-15. But the air forces's actions speak otherwise. That's why most of the earlier news has been propaganda, mainly to cover up mistakes.

Now, what's the point switching the F-35 with the F-16? Are they going to actually buy more F-16s? The USAF has only become more and more desperate. They underestimated their adversaries. But their actions demonstrate that their propaganda machinery has failed.

The line was replacing the F-15 (not F-35) with some of the newer versions of F-16's that exist in the air force and that will be replace by the F-35. It makes complete sense.

I don't think anyone disagrees that the program had major problems, but to suggest that the end result we see today is not an indication that the majority of the flaws have not been corrected, is a flaw in of itself. Or to think the US has underestimated its adversaries is a notion that's impossible to defend, to be perfectly honest. The aircraft has gone through tremendous challenges because of the way the program was run and of course its cost overruns, but there are many similarities with previous USAF programs that only ended up being some of the -- if not the -- best platforms in the world. The F-16 being the prime example.

The F-35 development went into a death spiral. That's why all of its development pushed forward. So while 4th gen aircraft are going to be upgraded to the point where it can even counter the F-35, the F-35 will get a modernized version only after 2035. It means MLU and more advanced version will only be available after that time. It's not a prediction, this is stuff you can see based on their own releases.

I didn't say they will become obsolete. My point is they will be as capable as an upgraded 4th gen jet.

Disagree. The F-35 platform is not one that will be relegated to only 15-year intervals for MLU's. It's been designed specifically for constant improvements and upgrades in technologists, particularly its avionics suite. Besides it's superior stealth capabilities, the other aspects of its design that make it quite desirable is it's ease of ability to be constantly improved. Small example; it's already been given the green light for these improvements, just 2 months ago:

Lockheed Martin awarded a contract to Harris Corporation to provide the computing infrastructure for new panoramic cockpit displays, advanced memory systems and navigation technology, said Brad Truesdell, senior director of aviation systems at Harris.

The new hardware and software technology, to be operational on the F-35 by 2021, i
ncludes seven racks per aircraft consisting of 1,500 module components, including new antennas and weapons release systems.

Some of the components include an Advanced Memory System (AMS) engineered to improve data storage and generate higher resolution imagery to help pilots with navigational and targeting information.

“Instead of having to measure something in megabits or megabytes, we are now talking about terabytes,” Truesdell said.

The upgrades include a portable memory device which can quickly be transferred from a ground station to the F-35 cockpit.

The new avionics are intended to enhance the F-35’s sensor fusion so that information from disparate sensor systems can be combined on a single screen for pilots to lower the cognitive burden and quicken the decision-making process. New modules for mission systems will integrate into the F-35s Distributed Aperture System sensors and Electro-optical Targeting System.

Faster processers will also improve F-35 delivery of weapons enabled by the latest 3F software drop, such as the AIM-9X air-to-air missile. Improved radar warning receiver technology will more quickly identify enemy aircraft and integrate with the aircraft’s mission data files, or threat library.

There's your improvement on the threat library we discussed ad nauseam! :-)
No way will this thing sit idle until a 15 year MLU comes around and watch other 4th gen aircraft equal it's caps, let alone surpass it. Besides it's stealthy attributes, it's big shtick was its fusion sensors and advanced avionics and the upgradability of the entire cockpit as needed, not per MLU requirements.

Why is it that some air forces can speak the truth, while with others we need to witness their actions only?

Because the "others" have proven it time and time again, and has been leading the world of aviation in every aspect and advancement. The Israelis are merely a recipient of this tremendous technology.

It's not a self protection suite. Most of the EW examples you put up are not workable in a fight. They are stand off models.

Which is precisely what the F-35 is. A standoff platform with 90% of it's mission task to be performed at BVR or standoff, hence it will work with a standoff EW platform.

You proved the F-35's weakness with this image alone.

The point was to highlight the tactics used by the USAF, USN & USMC. It's all shifting to standoff using separate platforms such as this new NGJ.

It also counters your theory that the US is 10 or 15 years behind the Europeans and Russians in ECM/EW warfare. This is the latest in EW and it's operational next year, not a decade away.

This was my point. The F-35 still requires support. Stealth was advertised as a silver bullet, and then the USAF corrected that. Now they are saying they need a lot of F-35s, as many as 8, to do the same mission that only needed 2 F-22s.

I don't think you'll find many, if any, that would disagree with the superiority of the F-22, but that still doesn't discount the F-35's capabilities. I think there's something erroneous about that 8 to 2 disparity. What's causing such a mismatch? Sorry if I missed it, but it contradicts the "EW lagging behind" theory.

I never claimed Red Flag was rigged. You were the one who brought it up.
Sure BOTH of you did. You guys may not have used the exact word 'rigged', but you pretty much implied the same with comments like the exercise 'fed' the F-35 known signals or such nonsense. Like I said, I went away for one week, waiting for someone to post comments from foreign pilots who would corroborate what you guys asserted and -- ZILCH.

It is now two weeks and not a single witness.

What's this got to do with what I said? Everybody knows of upcoming threats. I'm saying the F-35 team "forgot" to develop something that can fight against such threats.

Ridiculous. I already said they have the technology, but the F-35 is not equipped with it.
And you are wrong. BOTH of you.

All this time, I have been waiting for something technically 'meatier' from anyone. And nothing came. You criticized the F-35 as 'flawed' or having a 'weakness' for its dependency on a threat library. As it turned out, your vaunted Rafale with the SPECTRA system also uses a threat library, which, by the way, I doubt you knew until I showed it to you. But never mind that for now.

All this time, %99.999 likely you do not know WHY there is such a system of a 'threat library'. Sure, you can do an Internet search for it, but you will find nothing revealing other than the most shallow comments from journalists who barely know how to turn on a light switch.

To understand WHY there MUST be a 'threat library', you must, like the Matrix movies said, return to The Source. In this case, it is the foundation of radar detection principles.

So here we go, and once I am done, people will see that the Rafale with its SPECTRA system is not so vaunted, after all.

The foundation of radar detection and tracking is the pulse. Not the carrier frequency, but the PULSE. With the pulse, we have two physical points in order to perform the necessary calculations: leading edge and trailing edge.

The two points are not just mere mathematical points but actual physical locations.

But here lies the START of many problems...

BbJTaML.jpg

See that little bump labeled ' Target Return' ? That is from a 'NON-STEALTH' body. Any 'non-stealth' body. That is a house next to a tall business building. Atmospheric attenuation -- losses -- works both ways. From the seeking ( threat ) radar to the target and from the target echo. The result is that small signal that are magnitudes less than the original pulse strength and MOST of the time, got lost in background clutter.

Say what...??? A 'non-stealth' body was actually 'stealthy' ? Yes. All the way from WW II when radar first came.

What made the target echo signal usually lost in background clutter was because it was usually ignored. So it was not 'lost' in the truest sense of the word but 'lost' thru FAILURE OF DEFINITION.

Then what the radar designers resorted to was defining the pulse to something that even a human operator could recognized. They did it by manipulating the three main characteristics of the pulse: amplitude, freq, and duration ( length ).

As radar operations gets more complex and widespread, pulse definition became inadequate and targets often got lost by both failures from the human operators and the radar computer to recognize unique definitions. So came the concept of the 'pulse train'. As each pulse can be made unique, so can a series -- or a train -- of pulses can be made unique.

E90tG4i.jpg

Fig 2 from above is an example of a simplified pulse train and each pulse is unique. Just like a pulse, a pulse train has a leading edge and a trailing edge, except that the edges are actually points, physical and mathematical, of where a PATTERN of unique pulses begins and ends.

Q: Why is there a pattern of pulses ?
A: Because of the potential of the seeking radar operating in an EM dense environment.

A REPETITIVE pattern helps the radar computer recognizes its own signals as the signals echo-ed off a body.

vDk81to.jpg

There need not be any time gap between trains. As long as there is a recognizable pattern, the radar computer can 'see' its own signals from other signals in the area.

This is where the countermeasure concept of the 'threat library' came to be.

If the threat radar needs a pattern to recognize its unique signals, then that need can be used against it. A SIGINT mission must record a threat signals source over as much time as possible precisely because of the potential complexity of the pulse trains. The signals are analyzed to pick out the leading/trailing edges of a pattern train, then analyzed to pick out the leading/trailing edges of the individual pulses. There are separate circuits, software and hardware, for each task.

So in using the above pulse train example, for ease of simplicity for visualization, let us say that each pulse is one sec in duration and one sec of separation from each other inside that train. Total time is ten secs per train.

The SIGINT analysis would reveal this pattern over one hr, for example. In cataloging this pattern, we can say something to the effects of: 'If you see this pattern after 2 secs of duration, you are looking at the Binford X1R radar system.' Then we program this instructions into our threat library.

Now we compress the entire concept into millions of pulses in milliseconds of operations. But essentially, the concept is the same regardless.

What happens if we encounter a signal that is not in our library ?

I said 'signal'. Not any type of class of signals. Just 'signal'.

A Katy Perry song has repeating patterns, does it not ? So how would you recognize 'Roar' from a genuine threat radar signal ?

Let us return to this source for a moment...

https://www.darpa.mil/program/adaptive-radar-countermeasures

'Isolate unknown radar signals in the presence of other hostile, friendly and neutral signals.'

Implicitly, there are four types of signals encountered: known, hostile, neutral, and unknown.

If you are in a combat zone, not likely you would encounter Katy Perry's 'Roar' song. So we can reasonably assume that the unknown signal is either a radar signal or something relating to communication, for example.

What is this 'neutral' signal ? Is it 'unknown' ? No. It is known as defined in the threat library but is considered to be not directly supportive of a weapons system. An Identification Friend or Foe ( IFF ) signal is considered 'neutral' since all it does is query you of your status. Whether you are a 'friend' or 'foe' is up to the operator to decide. An IFF reply is often neither 'friend' nor 'foe' and confirmation must be thru other means, such as visual or radio conversation. In this case, the target is suspect in both 'friend' and 'foe' status. An automatic response of shooting at this target could have negative consequences like shooting at a civilian airliner. So an IFF query signal is classified as a 'neutral' signal.

Now we come to the over-hyped SPECTRA system as it encounters an 'unknown' signal.

SPECTRA samples a signal BEFORE it comes to a conclusion...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thales_Spectra
Active cancellation is supposed to work by sampling and analysing incoming radar and feeding it back to the hostile emitter out of phase thus cancelling out the returning radar echo.
But sample the signal in what way ?

Let us return to this example of a pulse train...

vDk81to.jpg

There are five unique pulses in this train. Does SPECTRA sample 2 or 3 pulses before it make a conclusion ? If so, then SPECTRA is indeed a shitty execution of a sound concept. Since it does not know how long is that pulse train, its sampling MUST BE OVER TIME in order to discern out a repeating pattern of five unique pulses.

How long is that sampling duration before it queries its own threat library ? Thales is not going to reveal that secret because that factor is core of the system. But the logic of statistics and the history of radar technology %99.999 expect that sampling mode to be time dependent instead of quantity dependent. Come to a conclusion after sampling of 3 pulses could have SPECTRA jamming a friendly or neutral signal.

So just because the Rafale's sales brochure tooted this horn of capability, that does not automatically make the Rafale a superior to the F-35 or even a 'more capable' fighter.

Let us look at this IEEE source...

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6159516/
Abstract:

The inter-pulses frequency agility (IPFA) has been discussed, and the equivalent coherent integration of the IPFA signal processing algorithm has been demonstrated by simulation. The ECCM performance of the IPFA has been analysed, and the simulation results are presented. The analysis indicates that the jammer transmission delay is of vital importance to the effectiveness of the counter-measurement, and the IPFA can suppress the jamming of long transmission delay. The IPFA signal processing algorithm disperses the jamming of the short transmission delay into the noise like raising, which may cover up the target echo signal.
Note the authors' names. I do not want to be accused of bias by using American/Western authors from a paywalled source.

Inter-pulses frequency agility (IPFA) often occurs in contaminated signals, whether the signal is music radio or threat radar. In this situation, that agility is accidental, not intentional like what the authors proposed.

This is a simplified example of what such a signal would look like...

H3Y9JvU.png

There is no discernible pattern over time. SPECTRA must have a sampling time limit. That means SPECTRA could be jamming a signal that is 'unknown' but is a non-threat, thereby, the Rafale just gave itself away.

But let us say that the signal that has DELIBERATE signal agility, not just in freq but also in other pulse characteristics, what will happens is that as SPECTRA stops its sampling and begins to create a countermeasure, the threat radar could be jumping to the next signature, making SPECTRA at least one signal behind. In other words, the Rafale would be painted by every other pulse, if not by every pulse.

SPECTRA cannot sample a signal in the way and the time duration that a dedicated SIGINT platform does it. The jet is in a combat zone being bombarded with all kinds of signals.

Here is what the Chinese authors of that paper said...

Inter-pulses frequency agility (IPFA) technique presented in this paper hinders the parameter measurement function of the ECM equipment, and consequently, prevents it from executing accurate jamming and reduces the effect of the interference. In addition, this technique achieves the wide synthesized system bandwidth, which is of key importance to the high range resolution, without increase the system instantaneous bandwidth via hardware design.
Note the highlighted.

The phrase 'parameter measurement function' means sampling. Radar detection has statistics as its core function and sampling is a core function of statistics. Ask any economist or financier or insurance actuary.

So against an 'unknown' signal, SPECTRA could be jamming a non-threat signal or being constantly behind the genuine threat radar. Sure, since the signal has no discernible pattern, that would put the threat radar at some disadvantages as well because it could not remember what it emits, but as long as it can sense some kind of return over time, it would be just 'good enough' for that adversary.

What does this means for the Rafale ?

It means that the Raffle is good against Tier 2 and 3 adversaries, but not against Tier One, like US. Second and Third tiers adversaries relies on threat radars that has repeating characteristics. The F-22 and F-35 with their AESA systems can generate radar signals that is both recognizable by the emitters and extremely difficult -- if not outright impossible -- for any ECM to classify.

China is working hard to become a Tier One opponent on her own. The Raffle is not going to cut it, no matter what the Frenchies says.

This is the longest explanation I posted regarding the Raffle and its SPECTRA system. It is long because in the past, people with common sense and intelligence quite understood what I said. You and the other guy seems to be the exceptions. And not in a good way.

This thing:
Adaptive Radar Countermeasures

The F-35 doesn't have it.
We are not looking at the Raffle as example.

Let us return to this example...

BbJTaML.jpg

In every radar system, there are two ranges: maximum and usable. The usable range is usually %75 of max. But let us be generous and say %80 for the sake of argument.

If a jet is inside the max but NOT YET inside usable, that does not mean its 'Target Return' signal is not detectable. The seeking radar does sees it but only as an inconsistent signal.

What we want for the F-22/35 is to be able to recognize an unknown signal as a legitimate radar signal even though it does not exists in the threat library. Not as a neutral signal even if that signal does not exists as 'neutral' in the threat library. We want to recognize the signal as a legitimate radar signal. SPECTRA assumes -- as radar -- by default of the signal being unknown in its threat library. We do not want to assume. We want to be %99.999 statistically certain that the unknown signal is a radar signal.

Totally different.

I have a few ideas on how but I ain't saying...:enjoy:

Ultimately, what this means is that the F-22/35 will be able to stay between that max and usable ranges with near impunity of being detected by any unknown/unclassified radar signals.

Someone will just have to be foolish enough to be the first test example. Any takers ?

Great. Another strawman attack, now attack my financial status. Yes, I am poorer than you. So you win. Great.

All you did is post general information that you can get from non-paywall sources.
That was no 'attack' against you.

Paywalled sources usually have more technical details than non pay sources. I usually do not use paywalled sources because I believe it is unfair to the readers because not everyone has the money, or the allowance by others such as an employer, to access such sources.

But in your case, your stubbornness made it an exception to my rule.

You are still living in the 90s. Even open source signals are now 5 billion pulses per second.
Based upon what I posted above regarding SPECTRA's need to sample, the higher the pulse count, the worse it is for the Raffle if the signal has any kind of signal characteristics agility.

The bottom line is this...

You have an emotional investment in denigrating the American 'stealth' fighters. I get that. And I even enjoy seeing that as I debunk your criticisms.

The differences between you and I are breadth and scope.

You focus on the jet. I focus on 'stealth'.

You focus on the Indian Air Force. I look at military aviation.

You focus on sales brochures. I stand upon the foundation of technical issues, like how I explained things above.

The Raffle is no match for the as-is F-35 and the F-35 has yet to come to its full potential.

Last edited:
Sure BOTH of you did. You guys may not have used the exact word 'rigged', but you pretty much implied the same with comments like the exercise 'fed' the F-35 known signals or such nonsense. Like I said, I went away for one week, waiting for someone to post comments from foreign pilots who would corroborate what you guys asserted and -- ZILCH.

All this time, I have been waiting for something technically 'meatier' from anyone. And nothing came. You criticized the F-35 as 'flawed' or having a 'weakness' for its dependency on a threat library. As it turned out, your vaunted Rafale with the SPECTRA system also uses a threat library, which, by the way, I doubt you knew until I showed it to you. But never mind that for now.

All this time, %99.999 likely you do not know WHY there is such a system of a 'threat library'. Sure, you can do an Internet search for it, but you will find nothing revealing other than the most shallow comments from journalists who barely know how to turn on a light switch.

To understand WHY there MUST be a 'threat library', you must, like the Matrix movies said, return to The Source. In this case, it is the foundation of radar detection principles.

So here we go, and once I am done, people will see that the Rafale with its SPECTRA system is not so vaunted, after all.

The foundation of radar detection and tracking is the pulse. Not the carrier frequency, but the PULSE. With the pulse, we have two physical points in order to perform the necessary calculations: leading edge and trailing edge.

The two points are not just mere mathematical points but actual physical locations.

But here lies the START of many problems...

BbJTaML.jpg

See that little bump labeled ' Target Return' ? That is from a 'NON-STEALTH' body. Any 'non-stealth' body. That is a house next to a tall business building. Atmospheric attenuation -- losses -- works both ways. From the seeking ( threat ) radar to the target and from the target echo. The result is that small signal that are magnitudes less than the original pulse strength and MOST of the time, got lost in background clutter.

Say what...??? A 'non-stealth' body was actually 'stealthy' ? Yes. All the way from WW II when radar first came.

What made the target echo signal usually lost in background clutter was because it was usually ignored. So it was not 'lost' in the truest sense of the word but 'lost' thru FAILURE OF DEFINITION.

Then what the radar designers resorted to was defining the pulse to something that even a human operator could recognized. They did it by manipulating the three main characteristics of the pulse: amplitude, freq, and duration ( length ).

As radar operations gets more complex and widespread, pulse definition became inadequate and targets often got lost by both failures from the human operators and the radar computer to recognize unique definitions. So came the concept of the 'pulse train'. As each pulse can be made unique, so can a series -- or a train -- of pulses can be made unique.

E90tG4i.jpg

Fig 2 from above is an example of a simplified pulse train and each pulse is unique. Just like a pulse, a pulse train has a leading edge and a trailing edge, except that the edges are actually points, physical and mathematical, of where a PATTERN of unique pulses begins and ends.

Q: Why is there a pattern of pulses ?
A: Because of the potential of the seeking radar operating in an EM dense environment.

A REPETITIVE pattern helps the radar computer recognizes its own signals as the signals echo-ed off a body.

vDk81to.jpg

There need not be any time gap between trains. As long as there is a recognizable pattern, the radar computer can 'see' its own signals from other signals in the area.

This is where the countermeasure concept of the 'threat library' came to be.

If the threat radar needs a pattern to recognize its unique signals, then that need can be used against it. A SIGINT mission must record a threat signals source over as much time as possible precisely because of the potential complexity of the pulse trains. The signals are analyzed to pick out the leading/trailing edges of a pattern train, then analyzed to pick out the leading/trailing edges of the individual pulses. There are separate circuits, software and hardware, for each task.

So in using the above pulse train example, for ease of simplicity for visualization, let us say that each pulse is one sec in duration and one sec of separation from each other inside that train. Total time is ten secs per train.

The SIGINT analysis would reveal this pattern over one hr, for example. In cataloging this pattern, we can say something to the effects of: 'If you see this pattern after 2 secs of duration, you are looking at the Binford X1R radar system.' Then we program this instructions into our threat library.

Now we compress the entire concept into millions of pulses in milliseconds of operations. But essentially, the concept is the same regardless.

What happens if we encounter a signal that is not in our library ?

I said 'signal'. Not any type of class of signals. Just 'signal'.

A Katy Perry song has repeating patterns, does it not ? So how would you recognize 'Roar' from a genuine threat radar signal ?

Let us return to this source for a moment...

https://www.darpa.mil/program/adaptive-radar-countermeasures

'Isolate unknown radar signals in the presence of other hostile, friendly and neutral signals.'

Implicitly, there are four types of signals encountered: known, hostile, neutral, and unknown.

If you are in a combat zone, not likely you would encounter Katy Perry's 'Roar' song. So we can reasonably assume that the unknown signal is either a radar signal or something relating to communication, for example.

What is this 'neutral' signal ? Is it 'unknown' ? No. It is known as defined in the threat library but is considered to be not directly supportive of a weapons system. An Identification Friend or Foe ( IFF ) signal is considered 'neutral' since all it does is query you of your status. Whether you are a 'friend' or 'foe' is up to the operator to decide. An IFF reply is often neither 'friend' nor 'foe' and confirmation must be thru other means, such as visual or radio conversation. In this case, the target is suspect in both 'friend' and 'foe' status. An automatic response of shooting at this target could have negative consequences like shooting at a civilian airliner. So an IFF query signal is classified as a 'neutral' signal.

Now we come to the over-hyped SPECTRA system as it encounters an 'unknown' signal.

vDk81to.jpg

There are five unique pulses in this train. Does SPECTRA sample 2 or 3 pulses before it make a conclusion ? If so, then SPECTRA is indeed a shitty execution of a sound concept. Since it does not know how long is that pulse train, its sampling MUST BE OVER TIME in order to discern out a repeating pattern of five unique pulses.

How long is that sampling duration before it queries its own threat library ? Thales is not going to reveal that secret because that factor is core of the system. But the logic of statistics and the history of radar technology %99.999 expect that sampling mode to be time dependent instead of quantity dependent. Come to a conclusion after sampling of 3 pulses could have SPECTRA jamming a friendly or neutral signal.

So just because the Rafale's sales brochure tooted this horn of capability, that does not automatically make the Rafale a superior to the F-35 or even a 'more capable' fighter.

Let us look at this IEEE source...

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/6159516/

Note the authors' names. I do not want to be accused of bias by using American/Western authors from a paywalled source.

Inter-pulses frequency agility (IPFA) often occurs in contaminated signals, whether the signal is music radio or threat radar. In this situation, that agility is accidental, not intentional like what the authors proposed.

This is a simplified example of what such a signal would look like...

H3Y9JvU.png

There is no discernible pattern over time. SPECTRA must have a sampling time limit. That means SPECTRA could be jamming a signal that is 'unknown' but is a non-threat, thereby, the Rafale just gave itself away.

But let us say that the signal that has DELIBERATE signal agility, not just in freq but also in other pulse characteristics, what will happens is that as SPECTRA stops its sampling and begins to create a countermeasure, the threat radar could be jumping to the next signature, making SPECTRA at least one signal behind. In other words, the Rafale would be painted by every other pulse, if not by every pulse.

SPECTRA cannot sample a signal in the way and the time duration that a dedicated SIGINT platform does it. The jet is in a combat zone being bombarded with all kinds of signals.

Here is what the Chinese authors of that paper said...

Note the highlighted.

The phrase 'parameter measurement function' means sampling. Radar detection has statistics as its core function and sampling is a core function of statistics. Ask any economist or financier or insurance actuary.

So against an 'unknown' signal, SPECTRA could be jamming a non-threat signal or being constantly behind the genuine threat radar. Sure, since the signal has no discernible pattern, that would put the threat radar at some disadvantages as well because it could not remember what it emits, but as long as it can sense some kind of return over time, it would be just 'good enough' for that adversary.

What does this means for the Rafale ?

It means that the Raffle is good against Tier 2 and 3 adversaries, but not against Tier One, like US. Second and Third tiers adversaries relies on threat radars that has repeating characteristics. The F-22 and F-35 with their AESA systems can generate radar signals that is both recognizable by the emitters and extremely difficult -- if not outright impossible -- for any ECM to classify.

China is working hard to become a Tier One opponent on her own. The Raffle is not going to cut it, no matter what the Frenchies says.

This is the longest explanation I posted regarding the Raffle and its SPECTRA system. It is long because in the past, people with common sense and intelligence quite understood what I said. You and the other guy seems to be the exceptions. And not in a good way.

We are not looking at the Raffle as example.

Let us return to this example...

BbJTaML.jpg

In every radar system, there are two ranges: maximum and usable. The usable range is usually %75 of max. But let us be generous and say %80 for the sake of argument.

If a jet is inside the max but NOT YET inside usable, that does not mean its 'Target Return' signal is not detectable. The seeking radar does sees it but only as an inconsistent signal.

What we want for the F-22/35 is to be able to recognize an unknown signal as a legitimate radar signal even though it does not exists in the threat library. Not as a neutral signal even if that signal does not exists as 'neutral' in the threat library. We want to recognize the signal as a legitimate radar signal. SPECTRA assumes -- as radar -- by default of the signal being unknown in its threat library. We do not want to assume. We want to be %99.999 statistically certain that the unknown signal is a radar signal.

Totally different.

I have a few ideas on how but I ain't saying...:enjoy:

Ultimately, what this means is that the F-22/35 will be able to stay between that max and usable ranges with near impunity of being detected by any unknown/unclassified radar signals.

Someone will just have to be foolish enough to be the first test example. Any takers ?

That was no 'attack' against you.

Paywalled sources usually have more technical details than non pay sources. I usually do not use paywalled sources because I believe it is unfair to the readers because not everyone has the money, or the allowance by others such as an employer, to access such sources.

But in your case, your stubbornness made it an exception to my rule.

Based upon what I posted above regarding SPECTRA's need to sample, the higher the pulse count, the worse it is for the Raffle if the signal has any kind of signal characteristics agility.

The bottom line is this...

You have an emotional investment in denigrating the American 'stealth' fighters. I get that. And I even enjoy seeing that as I debunk your criticisms.

The differences between you and I are breadth and scope.

You focus on the jet. I focus on 'stealth'.

You focus on the Indian Air Force. I look at military aviation.

You focus on sales brochures. I stand upon the foundation of technical issues, like how I explained things above.

The Raffle is no match for the as-is F-35 and the F-35 has yet to come to its full potential.

Will you stop lumping me together with that guy already?

Pathetic that you are implying that I am making things up.
End of the day, senior RAF officers are far more qualified and informed than some internet poster.
Goodbye as you are not interested in learning.
Then what make YOU -- another anonymous Internet poster -- exceptional to that rule when you so often casually dismissed US pilots who made positive claims about the F-35 ?

Will you stop lumping me together with that guy already?
I have been to Red Flag. How about you ? You raised your baseless suspicions about the exercise as rigged. So until you can find corroborating foreign pilots witnesses, you and he are in the same boat.

Dude, who are you kidding? The F-35 has to be "fed" with radar signals before it can respond to it. This is a proven fact. It doesn't mean Red Flag is rigged. It just means the F-35 works that way.

Incorrect. I have always known about the Rafale threat library, but what I said was the Rafale is not limited to the threat library alone.

The problem is you are assuming stuff just because it was left unsaid. I never said Red Flag is rigged. I never said Rafale doesn't have a threat library. You are just using red herrings.

Thanks for the effort of taking the time to explain this, it may help a lot of people reading this, but it was unnecessary for me.

vDk81to.jpg

This is exactly where every single person goes wrong about Spectra.

It's because everybody sees Spectra as only an ECM system. They are unable to see it as something more. I have used the exact same reasons as you have outlined, I have explained the same concepts to describe to people who know about Rafale and I have used the exact same points as you did.

And the problem here is you use red herrings, not the points I made, in your attempts to prove me wrong.
Red Herring: a clue or piece of information which is or is intended to be misleading or distracting.

The points I made:
1. The F-35 uses a threat library and has to operate within the constraints of the threat library. The pilot has no ability to initiate a response to a threat manually or through other means. So if the F-35 has to defeat a hostile unknown signal, it can only run away from it. The Rafale doesn't have the same constraints. It can deal with a threat both manually as well as automatically. So how does everything you have said relate to this point? Nothing.

2. The F-35's passive only stealth in the X band has become outdated. New radars can see the F-35 from well over 150Km away. So the only way to defeat said radar is EA which the F-35 lacks in almost all bands.

3. The Spectra is not an ECM, it is a cloaking device. It doesn't stop your radar from working, what it does is removes its target echo from your radar signal.

That little blip you pointed out--
BbJTaML.jpg

...it removes that blip from your returning radar signal. This is what Spectra does. When Spectra does this, at no point is it actually "attacking" your radar. It is literally deleting the Rafale's signature out of your radar signal. You don't get a target return, you don't see the Rafale.

Now I would prefer you counter these three points rather than making red herring arguments that lead to nowhere.

No, I don't. This is ridiculous.
This is a post I made about the Indian Navy's deal for 57 jets in a different forum.
Rather they should buy 57 Mig-29Ks, 24 F-35Bs and 1 30000T Mistral LHD with extra aviation facilities with the same amount of money as 57 Rafales. The Mig-29s will fit in seamlessly into the carriers. Some F-35Bs can also be operated from the carriers, we will get an extra mini-carrier and STOVL capability.

This way they can push the carrier plans to 2040 and actually build a proper supercarrier instead of a medium sized carrier with some obsolete Rafales. By then AMCA will be a solid contender.

How is this post anti-American?

Another post I made about dealing with America: The MDP law will pay for itself in the long run. (This is in reference to the Major Defense Partner law that the US passed which elevates India to the same position as a US ally when it comes to defence purchases.)

So whenever I see ridiculous posts, I happen to counter them. Just because you happen to be American or that I am pointing out real weaknesses that the F-35 has doesn't mean I am anti-American. Let's make that clear.

Dude, who are you kidding? The F-35 has to be "fed" with radar signals before it can respond to it. This is a proven fact. It doesn't mean Red Flag is rigged. It just means the F-35 works that way.
Utter nonsense. Whatever 'fed' means...Nothing illuminating about the F-35 or the exercise.

Thanks for the effort of taking the time to explain this, it may help a lot of people reading this, but it was unnecessary for me.
Yes, you do need it. But from the rest of your post, I can see that it was a futile effort.

The issue is not about what SPECTRA can do what it claimed, but that it has limitations, namely, its sampling rate, which is unknown.

It is irrelevant what the F-35 can or cannot do in the same situation. What is relevant is that based upon the laws of physics, SPECTRA has limitations that a Tier One adversary can exploit and defeat it. In order to so-called 'replicate' a threat signal BEFORE using that knowledge to either jam or 'cloak', SPECTRA must have what it thinks is a reasonable sampling rate. You ignored this crucial point because post 169 went over your head. I said nothing about making anyone's radar from working. Jamming does not stop any radar from working. Jamming only overwhelms the return spectrum. The seeking radar continues to work just fine. :lol:

What you called 'red herring' are legitimate technical rebuttal of your vaunted Raffle, which you did not understand.

Disagree. The F-35 platform is not one that will be relegated to only 15-year intervals for MLU's. It's been designed specifically for constant improvements and upgrades in technologists, particularly its avionics suite. Besides it's superior stealth capabilities, the other aspects of its design that make it quite desirable is it's ease of ability to be constantly improved. Small example; it's already been given the green light for these improvements, just 2 months ago:

Lockheed Martin awarded a contract to Harris Corporation to provide the computing infrastructure for new panoramic cockpit displays, advanced memory systems and navigation technology, said Brad Truesdell, senior director of aviation systems at Harris.

The new hardware and software technology, to be operational on the F-35 by 2021, i
ncludes seven racks per aircraft consisting of 1,500 module components, including new antennas and weapons release systems.

Some of the components include an Advanced Memory System (AMS) engineered to improve data storage and generate higher resolution imagery to help pilots with navigational and targeting information.

“Instead of having to measure something in megabits or megabytes, we are now talking about terabytes,” Truesdell said.

The upgrades include a portable memory device which can quickly be transferred from a ground station to the F-35 cockpit.

The new avionics are intended to enhance the F-35’s sensor fusion so that information from disparate sensor systems can be combined on a single screen for pilots to lower the cognitive burden and quicken the decision-making process. New modules for mission systems will integrate into the F-35s Distributed Aperture System sensors and Electro-optical Targeting System.

Faster processers will also improve F-35 delivery of weapons enabled by the
latest 3F software drop, such as the AIM-9X air-to-air missile. Improved radar warning receiver technology will more quickly identify enemy aircraft and integrate with the aircraft’s mission data files, or threat library.

Those upgrades are not even worth mentioning. All aircraft go through these.

Critical hardware upgrades take a decade or more.

Which is precisely what the F-35 is. A standoff platform with 90% of it's mission task to be performed at BVR or standoff, hence it will work with a standoff EW platform.

So what you're basically saying is the F-35 is simply a BVR/missile truck, not a fighter.

So it can't actually penetrate enemy air space, it just stays away from the enemy and tries to shoot them from a distance. Right?

The point was to highlight the tactics used by the USAF, USN & USMC. It's all shifting to standoff using separate platforms such as this new NGJ.

It also counters your theory that the US is 10 or 15 years behind the Europeans and Russians in ECM/EW warfare. This is the latest in EW and it's operational next year, not a decade away.

The NGJ is meant for a very different and very specific purpose. It can't help the F-35 fight off other fighters. It's not a self-protection suite. No, the presence of the NGJ does nothing to cover up the F-35's weaknesses.

I don't think you'll find many, if any, that would disagree with the superiority of the F-22, but that still doesn't discount the F-35's capabilities. I think there's something erroneous about that 8 to 2 disparity. What's causing such a mismatch?

Performance. Not stealth, not superior avionics. It's pure performance. Speed, acceleration, and altitude in particular.

Sorry if I missed it, but it contradicts the "EW lagging behind" theory.

It doesn't contradict anything. The "lagging behind in EW" argument is a fact. And the USAF doesn't shy away from this fact.

Stealth is useless if your radar becomes useless. The enemy can't see you, but you can't see the enemy either. EW is an extremely powerful tool and has become more deadly than passive shaping based stealth.

Yes, you do need it. But from the rest of your post, I can see that it was a futile effort.

The issue is not about what SPECTRA can do what it claimed, but that it has limitations, namely, its sampling rate, which is unknown.

It is irrelevant what the F-35 can or cannot do in the same situation. What is relevant is that based upon the laws of physics, SPECTRA has limitations that a Tier One adversary can exploit and defeat it. In order to so-called 'replicate' a threat signal BEFORE using that knowledge to either jam or 'cloak', SPECTRA must have what it thinks is a reasonable sampling rate. You ignored this crucial point because post 169 went over your head. I said nothing about making anyone's radar from working. Jamming does not stop any radar from working. Jamming only overwhelms the return spectrum. The seeking radar continues to work just fine. :lol:

What you called 'red herring' are legitimate technical rebuttal of your vaunted Raffle, which you did not understand.

Yup, more red herrings. You didn't reply to the points I made, you just made up your own and rebutted them. :lol:

As I said, I asked people how the Spectra will cloak with such problems like the delay with sampling or if the radar uses dwell and switch techniques. The answer was simple, "We won't tell you how, but we did it".

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...alth-fighter-rafale-indian-air-force-3737350/

Read this post:
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/the-rafale-hidden-beauties-and-its-future.422896/#post-8172035

Fact: It's real. It's operational. It is mature enough to be in open source.

How about this? In 2 to 3 years, we will see the technical results of the Belgian and Finnish air forces. Rafale and F-35 are competing in both. One of them will likely release the evaluation scores, most likely the Belgians will, let's see then.

+++++++++++
@Gomig-21
http://i-hls.com/archives/69312
The current stock of operational aircraft come with a pre-programmed bank of known enemy radar signals. New and unknown signals are registered, but until they are analysed and fed into the threat library, the plane has no defences against them, no way to jam the radar signal.

“Today, when our aircrafts go out on their missions, they’re loaded up with a set of jamming profiles—these are specific frequencies and waveforms that they can transmit in order to jam and disrupt an adversary’s radar to protect themselves,” Prabhakar said. “Sometimes when they go out today, they encounter a new kind of frequency or different waveform—one that they’re not programmed for, that’s not in their library, and in a time of conflict, that would leave them exposed.”

“So what all of that means is that our aircraft in the future won’t have to wait weeks, months to years, but in real time, in the battlespace, they’ll be able to adapt and jam this new radar threat that they get.”
++++++++++++

The F-35 doesn't have this capability. Neither the F-22 of course. But Rafale and Su-35 do.

Yup, more red herrings. You didn't reply to the points I made, you just made up your own and rebutted them. :lol:

As I said, I asked people how the Spectra will cloak with such problems like the delay with sampling or if the radar uses dwell and switch techniques. The answer was simple, "We won't tell you how, but we did it".

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...alth-fighter-rafale-indian-air-force-3737350/

Read this post:
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/the-rafale-hidden-beauties-and-its-future.422896/#post-8172035

Fact: It's real. It's operational. It is mature enough to be in open source.
You mean DRFM ? That ? :lol:

You cannot duplicate something unless you know precisely what it is. Pulse characters manipulation defeated DRFM. Which part of 'memory' escaped you ? There is only so much memory the system can have and again, there is a finite amount of time you can devote to sampling.

Dwell and switch is usually used by the seeking radar to maintain a steady duty cycle for most target types. However, the technique can also be used by the threat radar to make the ECM system expend vital resources to create a countermeasure for a seeking signal that is no longer used by the threat radar.

Pulse trains are sequential.

Pulse A have a specific train characteristic. The ECM system's DRFM requires a certain amount of time to replicate it and transmit that countermeasure signal. But by this time, pulse B with a different pulse train characteristic is transmitted by the threat radar. And so on. Even if the ECM processing capability is fast enough to process one pulse, the aircraft will still be painted on every other pulse.

I do not need to reply to your points because all you are doing is repeating sales brochures blurbs while I explained the foundation of what make SPECTRA possible and when it cannot work. Time is not something you can violate. This is real physics, not 'Indian physics'.

So what you're basically saying is the F-35 is simply a BVR/missile truck, not a fighter.

So it can't actually penetrate enemy air space, it just stays away from the enemy and tries to shoot them from a distance. Right?
Cannot or will not. There is a difference. What soldier or sailor or pilot prefers to enter the enemy's home turf when he can engage the enemy from the outside ?

You mean DRFM ? That ? :lol:

You cannot duplicate something unless you know precisely what it is. Pulse characters manipulation defeated DRFM. Which part of 'memory' escaped you ? There is only so much memory the system can have and again, there is a finite amount of time you can devote to sampling.

Dwell and switch is usually used by the seeking radar to maintain a steady duty cycle for most target types. However, the technique can also be used by the threat radar to make the ECM system expend vital resources to create a countermeasure for a seeking signal that is no longer used by the threat radar.

Pulse trains are sequential.

Pulse A have a specific train characteristic. The ECM system's DRFM requires a certain amount of time to replicate it and transmit that countermeasure signal. But by this time, pulse B with a different pulse train characteristic is transmitted by the threat radar. And so on. Even if the ECM processing capability is fast enough to process one pulse, the aircraft will still be painted on every other pulse.

Yup. Welcome to the 90s.

Some people are living in 2017. Here's something about interrupted sampling.
https://asp-eurasipjournals.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s13634-017-0446-3
As a coherent repeater jamming, ISRJ firstly proposed by Wang et al. [1] can induce a train of false targets after the pulse compression (PC) without completely sampling and storing the whole radar pulse.

You like IEEE. So here:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7858673/

You really gotta start living in the 21st century.

I do not need to reply to your points because all you are doing is repeating sales brochures blurbs while I explained the foundation of what make SPECTRA possible and when it cannot work. Time is not something you can violate.

In due time the European competitions will commence and the results will be out.

This is real physics, not 'Indian physics'.

You are confused between physics and engineering. The physics is the same, it's the engineering that has changed. I still find it hilarious that you are talking about memory in this day and age.

Cannot or will not. There is a difference. What soldier or sailor or pilot prefers to enter the enemy's home turf when he can engage the enemy from the outside ?

:lol: More strawman arguments. If you can't enter the enemy's home turf, then that means you can't penetrate their airspace. Good luck fighting the war from the fringes of the battlespace, it's what the enemy wants, really.

Yup. Welcome to the 90s.

Some people are living in 2017. Here's something about interrupted sampling.
https://asp-eurasipjournals.springeropen.com/articles/10.1186/s13634-017-0446-3
As a coherent repeater jamming, ISRJ firstly proposed by Wang et al. [1] can induce a train of false targets after the pulse compression (PC) without completely sampling and storing the whole radar pulse.

You like IEEE. So here:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7858673/

You really gotta start living in the 21st century.
And you should have read the entire doc.

Notice this...

The jamming suppression effects on different orders, delayed time, jamming-to-signal ratio (JSR), and signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) were not considered.
It means the interrupted sampling method works best when the entire pulse train repeats itself with no changes in individual pulse characteristics.

Next, the technique requires two aircrafts, one to serve as the target and one as the jammer.

When the target is irradiated with the wideband radar wave, the target echo after scattering is firstly intercepted, interrupted, and stored by a preposition jammer.
Look at fig 1 and see for yourself.

The target aircraft is irradiated and its echo-ed signals are captured by the escorting jammer, which then generate a supposedly countermeasure signal. And that is what the technique really mean. Not what SPECTRA supposedly does.

vDk81to.jpg

The word 'interrupted' does not mean SPECTRA can sample only 3 out of 5 and can replicate the remaining two. :lol:

You do what the Chinese does, which is that in your desperation to salvage your argument, you look only for keywords and interpret the source to fit your needs.

Welcome to reality. The Raffle is not what you tried -- in vain -- to make it out to be.

You are confused between physics and engineering. The physics is the same, it's the engineering that has changed. I still find it hilarious that you are talking about memory in this day and age.
You mean there is no memory in the Digital Radio Frequency Memory ( DRFM ) ? :lol:

Then what make YOU -- another anonymous Internet poster -- exceptional to that rule when you so often casually dismissed US pilots who made positive claims about the F-35 ?

:lol:

There is a difference between senior RAF officers making a comparison of the air-to-air capabilities between F-22 and F-35, and F-35 pilots praising their aircraft against 4th generation planes.

PS - Any F-35 versus F-22 exercises conducted by USAF? That is ones where the F-22 has the latest radar and avionics upgrade.

There is a difference between senior RAF officers making a comparison of the air-to-air capabilities between F-22 and F-35,...
When there is an F-22 peer, we will take those opinions seriously.

...and F-35 pilots praising their aircraft against 4th generation planes.
Why not ? That is the bulk of fighters out there.

PS - Any F-35 versus F-22 exercises conducted by USAF? That is ones where the F-22 has the latest radar and avionics upgrade.
Even if there are, what difference does it make ? Let us say that in such a contest, the F-35 loses. What does this mean for potential F-35 clients ? That they should listen to YOU ? That you have been so prescient all this time ?

So your reasoning is that since the F-35 lost to the F-22, of which there are no peers, therefore, the F-35 is not worth buying ?

Most of the world's air forces today are for sovereignty defense, not for expeditionary missions. Or in an alliance, those air forces would be involved in coalition warfare, which mean their F-35s would receive full support from other F-35s and from US.

Your criticisms of the F-35 are done for -- as in garbage.

Back
Top Bottom