What's new

F-35 for Pakistan

lol,Joke of the century!!!!!!!!!!. Bottom line is we can never get F35 even if we have cash not even in dreams. therefore, this thread is irrelvent and should be laid to rest.

Thanks

i dont think it will be less then 100 mil.raptor cost around 250 mil.

The Raptor per unit cost is $138 million for the version that USAF flies. Others, if they are allowed, will have a downgraded version for less.

JSF/F-35 is a much cheaper aircraft with the cost pegged around $80 million/copy. The same deal with this aircraft that it may have its price go down as exported.

Lastly, one should never say never. It was unimaginable for PAF to acquire F-16s in 1981 but they did. F-16 was no different for that time than F-35 now.

I agree with Blain2, the F-35 is the F-16 of Gen. 5 aircraft.

I was watching this episode of Dogfights on the History Channel a month ago where they were discussing future air wars. They showed how the F-35 is going to be the real work horse of the USAF with multi-role capabilities whereas the F-22 will be used for air-to-air and air to air ONLY.

B.T.W do all versions of the F-35 have the ability to hover or just the one used by the Marines?

Well maturity year of F35 is 2020...and F22 is still stuck for US defence budget approval, because require hefty budget for further changes in its engine. President Obama approved the F22 in present form, but debate is still going on among US defence circles, about the acceptance of F22 in the present form.Remember F35B is the last manned aircraft.

I think US will not sell F-35 soon neither for Pakistan nor Egypt, they even cancelled F-15 deal to Egypt because of Israeli pressure. :angry:

if i am not mistaken the us propose to use the f-22 in tandem with the f-35 they wont commit the f-35 in a conflict where the enemy has strong ground and sam support the f-22 will look to clear the thread from the ground before the f-35 takes over this speaks volumes about the f-35 capabilites .
f-16 is a proven fighter over ages i will admire the f-35 only after years when it will be a proven word on paper f-22 is the true blue 5th gen plane nothing awe-inspiring about the f-35 so far

Sorry for deviating from the topic so much, I really think that Pakistan may have a shot at getting their hands on the F-35, maybe in the next few years, as long as we can disprove the whole "We're about to collapse!!!" image. I think it could be just what we need to even the playing field with India, although we would have to rely on the JF-17 and the J-10 more.

I think as both countries 5th gen. aircraft will be considered as precious commodities by military planners, we have a bigger chance of seeing combat between say, F-16s, J-10s and JF-17s vs. Mig-29s, Su-30s and the Tejas.

I think US will not sell F-35 soon neither for Pakistan nor Egypt, they even cancelled F-15 deal to Egypt because of Israeli pressure. :angry:
Welll AFAIK Egypt will get F35 because Israel will also get it and according to David Camp Peace Agreement Egypt will also get similar equipment..so its highly likely that Egypt will get in few years but downgraded version.

i do not like the look of 5th gen planes the internal weapons bay takes the charm out of the look a fighter with is missiles stacked under the belt is the best site for me as far a conflict goes south asia will soon see some new gen planes with the pakfa , and gripen coming soon jxx is unknown commodity so no comments

Welll AFAIK Egypt will get F35 because Israel will also get it and according to David Camp Peace Agreement Egypt will also get similar equipment..so its highly likely that Egypt will get in few years but downgraded version.

Egyptians still do not have a BVR weapon in their inventory. Whatever they get will have seriously downgraded capabilities.

I hope that, maybe things would change with Obama. :)

The Raptor per unit cost is $138 million for the version that USAF flies. Others, if they are allowed, will have a downgraded version for less.

JSF/F-35 is a much cheaper aircraft with the cost pegged around $80 million/copy. The same deal with this aircraft that it may have its price go down as exported.
It is interesting to note, however, that the first few operational F-35s to fly will actually cost more per plane than the F-22. It's pretty common with new technology (perfect example in the consumer electroncs industry are the first few Playstation 3s which Sony sold at a loss of over US$100 each). However, once production reaches its peak, it will be significantly cheaper than the F-22 (though not as much as originally thought).

Lastly, one should never say never. It was unimaginable for PAF to acquire F-16s in 1981 but they did. F-16 was no different for that time than F-35 now.
Well, the situation was such that the Americans saw great benefit in providing us with F-16s (Soviet-Afghanistan war, you get the picture). I don't foresee that happening today. Asymetric Warfare, Fourth Generation Warfare, Insurgency-Counterinsurgency, Intelligence and Information Warfare, all these "modern trends" of conducting war really don't require expensive jets (which is a big problem for the US). Frankly, you could use upgraded WWII or 1965 Indo-Pak war jets to accomplish many of the tasks in a modern battlefield. Helicopters are the new fighter-jets, if you know what I mean. Ofcourse, I don't have to tell you this, you're the professor. And you're right, "never say never".

do all versions of the F-35 have the ability to hover or just the one used by the Marines?
Short Takeoff and Vertical Landing (STOVL) features are of interest primarily to the US Marine Corps and the Royal Navy, looking to replace their old, tired, unreliable, difficult to maintain, difficult to operate and frankly downright dangerous Harriers (both original and US upgrades). The USAF and many export customers are interested in the Conventional Takeoff and Landing (CTOL) variant, which will use the extra space left in the empty shaft-connected-lift-fan duct as extra fuel-storage. The Carrier Variant (CV) is of interest primarily to the US Navy, and will be a larger and more ruggedized version of the CTOL variant. The US Navy, contrary to popular belief, does not require STOVL features because they operate massive aircraft carriers with long runways and powerful steam-catapults. Therefore the STOVL variant would not provide much benefit to the USN and the increased number of moving parts would just add to the opertional problems, which are much more difficult to handle when you're in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

In short, apart from countries that operate small aircraf carriers, including Britian, France and India, nobody would be interested in the STOVL version. Except, ofcourse, during Airshows, the STOVL version would definitely be the most pupular as a demonstrator.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom