What's new

F-22 Raptor Exposed - Why the F-22 Was Cancelled

That is the point -- What is the problem? Certainly its new capabilities required maintenance that is unique from other aircrafts, but nothing as ridiculous as an overhaul after each flight.
A 30+ hour maintenance after an hour's flight? So a 5 hour mission would have it benched for a week?

If that is true and coupled with the price, that could be the major killer of the program. Since you need like a Gazillion to counter balance their benched time and you can't really afford a gazillion of these.

A 30+ hour maintenance after an hour's flight? So a 5 hour mission would have it benched for a week?

If that is true and coupled with the price, that could be the major killer of the program. Since you need like a Gazillion to counter balance their benched time and you can't really afford a gazillion of these.
Is that for one man? The statistics cited by Maddow revealed she did not perform what is called 'due diligence'. An egregious omission for a journalist. I see no consultation with any aviation maintenance professional. Not even a civilian one. Embry-Riddle is a very respected school around the world.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University - World's Leader in Aviation and Aerospace Education

They will have no problems correcting Maddow on her statistics and educating her on how aviation maintenance works.

When an aircraft is sortied, every man that is involved, from the crew chief who prepared the aircraft, to the POL guy who delivered the fuel, to the truck driver of the launch crew who respond to any 'Red Ball' call to fix quick problems, are tallied for the record. For 'stealth' aircrafts where body surface integrity is important, extra care towards that assurance, if it involve a few extra minutes or even an hour per man, is also tallied. That does not mean the F-22 landed with 'Code Three' items that involve hangar time.

Code 1, Code 2, Code 3, Code 4, Code 5 | Military Aviation Terms | Aviation Glossary
Landing status codes used by aircrew to inform maintenance of their inbound aircraft’s condition. A Code 1 aircraft has no additional discrepancies other than those it had when it last departed; a code 2 aircraft has minor discrepancies, but is capable of further mission assignments; a code 3 aircraft has major discrepancies in mission-essential equipment that may require repair or replacement prior to further mission tasking; a code 4 indicates suspected or known nuclear, biological, or chemical contamination; and a code 5 indicates battle damage. Codes 4 and 5 are entered into the MIS as code 8.
Aviation maintenance professionals everywhere probably laughed their glutes off at Maddow when that piece came out. I know I did...:D

It could be 35 man-hours with all the time spent on logistic support counted together. Which is not that much considering that you will have a team of people dedicated to one aircraft and all their working hours will be added up even when they may be working simultaneously.

Its incorrect to say that the project was canceled just that production was capped at a particular number due to multiple reasons.

F-22 is certainly not canceled, that plane is very much flying and there were reports that one of them went down a few days back.

The raptor was canceled solely because of change in threat perceptions.
There is nothing out there that will challenge the F-22 in air combat.
Yet apart from China.. or possibly Pakistan as future threats.. there is no place where the US cannot expect Air dominance to be achieved by legacy jets.
The cost of the plane is high because there are so few of them being produced.
And the House did not see any reason to continue the program.
Although there are rumors abound that the republicans may revive the program if they take the senate as well.

It could be 35 man-hours with all the time spent on logistic support counted together. Which is not that much considering that you will have a team of people dedicated to one aircraft and all their working hours will be added up even when they may be working simultaneously.
Correct...

Accurate fuel quantity is important. Capacitive fuel sensors or 'probes' are used.

Arrow Group GmbH Produkt 3
Arrow Aviation’s new CAPACITIVE FUEL SENSOR has been designed specifically for light weight aircrafts, replacing unreliable mechanical float mechanisms.
Say an F-22 has an erratic forward fuel quantity indicator and flightline troubleshooting required a fuel probe change. The aircraft would be defueled, which take time for the crew chief, the POL guy, and one person manning the Halon bottle in the event of a fire. Defueling can total three man-hours.

The aircraft is now towed to a hangar...

Event Details
According to the Airlines Safety Official, a wing walker was removing a stuck wheel chock from the right main landing gear during a power-back from the gate. The wing walker was blown over by the jet blast after the chock was removed. The wing walker received serious injuries.
There would be a tow truck driver, the crew chief, and up to four 'wing walkers' for safety reasons. How many man-hours would this be?

Inside the hangar, it may take a few extra minutes for people to put on 'booties' so their combat boots do not gouge the aircraft's skin. A few extra minutes to remove panels so their tools also do not gouge the aircraft's skin. The actual fuel probe change itself may take only 5 minutes. The same extra care is required to reinstall those panels. The aircraft is towed out of the hangar and refueled. Add all those hours up and because of the extra time required to preserve surface integrity for a 'stealth' aircraft you have a recipe for deception by a hostile media.

The F-22 is not required by America to defend itself. The only context in which the F-22 is relevant is if America decides to wage a foreign war against another country with an advanced military. Given the foreign wars waged over the past 10 years and their ill effects on America itself, I think perhaps the US should consider taking a break from international campaigns for at least the next couple of decades. If such a moratorium is realistic, at the end of it, the F-22 would have been 40 years old anyway and struggling to remain relevant.

The point is that America's defence at home against threats posed by nation states is assured. The security issues confronting the US are more about tiny little parcel bombs hidden in fedex packages, explosives in someone's underpants and the like. The F-22 is not about to sniff anyone's underwear anytime soon.

So, given that America is probably best served by not attacking another country in the near future, and that it is secure against invasions by foreign air forces at home, the F-22 is certainly overkill. The cost of a single aircraft, roughly $350M, means funding 70 new startups with $5M each. Even as per astronomical costs of highway construction in the US, it means almost 100 miles of new highways. As per 2010 US educational costs, this money can be used to educate 35,000 students for a year.

I just think that by redirecting these funds the US would stand a better chance of catching up with other nations' infrastructure, or improving education or even funding innovation (Startups, research etc.). The fact is that if America is threatened in the long term, it is not because of parcel bombs or Su-35s, it is because American children are no longer interested in building projects out of The Boy Mechanic, and are instead wasting their time with a variety of nonsensical activities. The real threat is that today, countries like Turkey, Saudi Arabia, China, UAE etc. all have far better public transportation, better infrastructure, newer roads and bridges etc. than the US. Infrastructure, education and innovation investments will make the US much stronger than a few F-22s. It is a shame, though, that the savings from the defence budget went into other military items.

By the way, I am very much in favour of defence spending and ensuring national security. I just think that by spending more than the rest of the entire world, the US overdoes it just a bit. I wish Pakistan could redirect more of its defence budget on education and development. Under Musharraf's watch, we did freeze mil budget increases and reinvested the money into the largest ever increase in development and education. Since then, we've had WoT bills, flood and earthquake relief and various other issues to tackle unfortunately. I do look forward to the near future when a NATO exit in Afghanistan will reduce our significant military expenses on the western border. Hopefully we will be able to go back to the Musharraf-era budgetary thinking...

The F-22 is not required by America to defend itself. The only context in which the F-22 is relevant is if America decides to wage a foreign war against another country with an advanced military. Given the foreign wars waged over the past 10 years and their ill effects on America itself, I think perhaps the US should consider taking a break from international campaigns for at least the next couple of decades. If such a moratorium is realistic, at the end of it, the F-22 would have been 40 years old anyway and struggling to remain relevant.

The point is that America's defence at home against threats posed by nation states is assured. The security issues confronting the US are more about tiny little parcel bombs hidden in fedex packages, explosives in someone's underpants and the like. The F-22 is not about to sniff anyone's underwear anytime soon.

So, given that America is probably best served by not attacking another country in the near future, and that it is secure against invasions by foreign air forces at home, the F-22 is certainly overkill. The cost of a single aircraft, roughly $350M, means funding 70 new startups with $5M each. Even as per astronomical costs of highway construction in the US, it means almost 100 miles of new highways. As per 2010 US educational costs, this money can be used to educate 35,000 students for a year.

I just think that by redirecting these funds the US would stand a better chance of catching up with other nations' infrastructure, or improving education or even funding innovation (Startups, research etc.). The fact is that if America is threatened in the long term, it is not because of parcel bombs or Su-35s, it is because American children are no longer interested in building projects out of The Boy Mechanic, and are instead wasting their time with a variety of nonsensical activities. The real threat is that today, countries like Turkey, Saudi Arabia, China, UAE etc. all have far better public transportation, better infrastructure, newer roads and bridges etc. than the US. Infrastructure, education and innovation investments will make the US much stronger than a few F-22s. It is a shame, though, that the savings from the defence budget went into other military items.

By the way, I am very much in favour of defence spending and ensuring national security. I just think that by spending more than the rest of the entire world, the US overdoes it just a bit. I wish Pakistan could redirect more of its defence budget on education and development. Under Musharraf's watch, we did freeze mil budget increases and reinvested the money into the largest ever increase in development and education. Since then, we've had WoT bills, flood and earthquake relief and various other issues to tackle unfortunately. I do look forward to the near future when a NATO exit in Afghanistan will reduce our significant military expenses on the western border. Hopefully we will be able to go back to the Musharraf-era budgetary thinking...

Super post, TL.:tup:

Back
Top Bottom