What's new

F-18 question

MKI,su-30Sm have advanced HMS.RVV -MD/r-73,plus TVC and lesser aerodynamic performance,why you want to close in vs flanker?With AESA,reduced RCS f-18 in air to air should fight in BVR,don't u think?

Well the Rhino has the best avionics, sensors, JHMCS etc. while the Flanker have better acceleration and speed to have a advantage against the rhino in a supersonic fight. The Flanker has inferior sensors, helmet mounted displays, avionics etc. If you didn't know Russian's never focus on sensors, systems, avionics etc. They mostly focus on maneuverability to their Flankers or PAK FA. So both have good aerodynamic performance, but the Super Hornet wasn't designed to be a superior kinetic performer. But it's still a great air superiority fighter as its secondary role. TVC is usless in a dogfight while maintaining slow speed. You have to pull hard to get your kill, not doing those super cool thrust vectoring moves.

Well the Rhino has the best avionics, sensors, JHMCS etc. while the Flanker have better acceleration and speed to have a advantage against the rhino in a supersonic fight. The Flanker has inferior sensors, helmet mounted displays, avionics etc. If you didn't know Russian's never focus on sensors, systems, avionics etc. They mostly focus on maneuverability to their Flankers or PAK FA. So both have good aerodynamic performance, but the Super Hornet wasn't designed to be a superior kinetic performer. But it's still a great air superiority fighter as its secondary role. TVC is usless in a dogfight while maintaining slow speed. You have to pull hard to get your kill, not doing those super cool thrust vectoring moves.

If TVC is useless why is f-22 equipped with it,f-18 has serious disadvantage against flanker in WVR.Its avionics advantage is best for BVR,and BVR should be where it fights flanker where it has best chance of solid results.

If TVC is useless why is f-22 equipped with it,f-18 has serious disadvantage against flanker in WVR.Its avionics advantage is best for BVR,and BVR should be where it fights flanker where it has best chance of solid results.

If the F-22 needs to push its limits, then that's why it's equipped with TVC. I guess you've been reading APA? So then why is the Rhino such a manuverable machine in within visual range? It has AIM-9x, AMRAAM's and the GIB for dogfighting situations. The Flanker doesn't need TVC to dogfight. The Rhino has unlimited AOA and good dogfighting capabilites. But many claim that the Rhino is very good in within visual range, and the Rhino pilots can handle any close in engagement threat. I don't see an area where the Rhino is in trouble in a close in fight. I can only think of acceleration and kinetic performance where the Rhino is in trouble. ;)

Not trying to have a "This is a disadvantage and this is a advantage" conversation.

Jeez, thanks for that informative post. I suspect that many so called innovations that were first introduced on Russian aircraft were actually not Russian technology but stolen western technology when the Russians found a time machine and went into the future to steal technology.

I have also been in the factory that produce radars for aircraft. when I was there I seen the engineers asleep, half of which had fake engineering degrees, the other half were busy making cardboard models of radars.

Exactly why Russia tends to focus on maneuverability. Informative post cat

Back
Top Bottom