What's new

F-16 Multirole Aircraft, United States

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Lockheed Martin is working to define the configuration of a "next-generation" F-16NG to meet the requirements of emerging customers, potentially including India. Final definition of the configuration is awaiting firm requirements, but is intended to combine "the best of Block 50 and Block 60, with elements from the F-22 and F-35", the Rob Weiss, vice-president business development.

Enhancements under consideration include further uprated versions of the General Electric F110 and Pratt & Whitney F100 engines and a later generation of active electronically scanned array (AESA) than the Northrop APG-80 agile-beam radar in the F-16E/F Block 60.

Although all F-16s and its F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) use Northrop radars, Weiss says Lockheed is "looking more broadly" for the F-16NG, suggesting that Raytheon - which produces AESA radars for the Boeing F-15 and F/A-18E/F - has at least an opportunity to bid.

As well as India, which is expected to issue a request for proposals (RFP) for 126 multi-role fighters later this year, Weiss says emerging customers include existing F-16 operators who need to recapitalise their fleets, but do not plan to buy the F-35 until later in the next decade. "The F-16NG would be a good transition to the F-35," he says. Weiss says the F-16NG will not be fully defined until after India has issued its RFP and the US government decides what technology will be releasable. Depending on the Indian requirement, and other potential customers, the final configuration could have a capability "less, equal to or better than" the Block 60, he says.

Lockheed Martin Aeronautics president Ralph Heath says he is confident the company can tailor an aircraft for India that is sufficiently different to the Block 50/52 F-16 planned to be purchased by neighbour Pakistan to satisfy India.

http://www.flightglobal.com/article...rough-lockheed-works-to-define-next-f-16.html

it seems that lock-mart is desperate to sell the F-16 to india!!

let them !! pakistan should concentrate on the J-10 acquisition.

iam sure that the J-10s will be more advanced than the block60s

.:tdown:

It will take a lot of time for J-10 to reach Block-60, but the way china is moving they will reach there.

I always belived that J10 airframe lacks the agility of F-16, partialy because of its inherent delta wing design.
I expect China comming up with improved design, very soon.

I read some where that it is American policy that they do not transfer the engine manufacturing technology.
If it is true and considering India's policy to buy foreign equipments only from the sources which supply 100% TOT, it does not fit together.
Either of them have to change there policy!
I wonder who that would be?

I have personally always felt PAF should not go so gung-ho on wanting the F-16.

True it is still a very capable platform. With AESA radar, conformal fuel tanks etc. the block 60 is still durn good. But then again the others are out there too. The Israelis and Ruskies are close to getting their AESA in production. Range can be accomplished with tankers.

Lockheed Martin does however have the best marketing plan. Given the plant in Ft.Worth ( where I live) will close for lack of orders, they are more than happy to sell the same stuff to the PAF from 20 years ago ( with MLU -of course).

Pakistan does need to start designing their own hardware. The skills already exist - and I don't mean with Chinese doing the work and Pakistan claiming it to be " joint development". The learning curve will only benefit Pakistan in the long run.

In the meantime fill the gap partially with imports, but do push for self-reliance.

True it is still a very capable platform. With AESA radar, conformal fuel tanks etc. the block 60 is still durn good. But then again the others are out there too. The Israelis and Ruskies are close to getting their AESA in production. Range can be accomplished with tankers.

Lockheed Martin does however have the best marketing plan. Given the plant in Ft.Worth ( where I live) will close for lack of orders, they are more than happy to sell the same stuff to the PAF from 20 years ago ( with MLU -of course).

Pakistan does need to start designing their own hardware. The skills already exist - and I don't mean with Chinese doing the work and Pakistan claiming it to be " joint development". The learning curve will only benefit Pakistan in the long run.

In the meantime fill the gap partially with imports, but do push for self-reliance.

Agree with you 100% in principle. However past experience in other countries with greater technical skills such as Japan, South Korea and India ( LCA) suggests that self reliance route in aeronautics and avionics is very arduous one. I have doubts whether Pakistan can afford it.

Agree with you 100% in principle. However past experience in other countries with greater technical skills such as Japan, South Korea and India ( LCA) suggests that self reliance route in aeronautics and avionics is very arduous one. I have doubts whether Pakistan can afford it.

Yes, it is arduous. But then again you have to start somewhere. The Pakistanis I see here are very talented. I bet they can be hired for the right money.

What a lot of people don't realize is that while projects such as the LCA has been going slooooow, the knowledge aquired is priceless. This also spawns other technology. There will eventually be a payoff.

Frankly Pakistan or any other country has no choice per se. If it wants to come out of over dependency on other countries(including China), it has to start it, somewhere..

Probably trying for the civil side of aviation at the present moment is better.

Frankly Pakistan or any other country has no choice per se. If it wants to come out of over dependency on other countries(including China), it has to start it, somewhere..

Probably trying for the civil side of aviation at the present moment is better.

It would most certainly be an easier start. But it would be a start.

As the Brits would say,

" This cadet should go far. The sooner he gets started, the better..."

But Pakistan needs the F-16. I'm not sure why Lockheed-Martin is so desperate to sell it to India, but Pakistan needs it. India are just looking to counter Pakistan. Musharraf may have said that we shouldn't be so India-centric but India is definitely Pakistan-centric. It has a strong alliance with Russia, much more trustworthy than USA is to Pakistan. Paksitan must buy the F-16 and also design their own plane such as the JF-17 with China. The F-16 currently with PAF, despite being so old, is equal to the JF-17.

Texas
Pakistans need for F16s is on acccount of it providing a cost effective way of fulfilling our needs within our meagre means. The MLU programme and its limitations are well known to PAF but our options are limited. Regarding developing our own platform, our industrial infrastructure is grossly underdeveloped and resources meagre. in this situation our best option is to seek help from our partners(China) to kick start the industry and give us some experience before we fly solo.
Hope this answers your statement
Regards
Araz

We should provide Pakistan with the F-16s, they are great birds.

The problem is the current political climate in Pakistan. We don't know how it will unfold.

We should provide Pakistan with the F-16s, they are great birds.

The problem is the current political climate in Pakistan. We don't know how it will unfold.

dont worry on both fronts. pakistan and its people are very resilient.

Texas
Pakistans need for F16s is on acccount of it providing a cost effective way of fulfilling our needs within our meagre means. The MLU programme and its limitations are well known to PAF but our options are limited. Regarding developing our own platform, our industrial infrastructure is grossly underdeveloped and resources meagre. in this situation our best option is to seek help from our partners(China) to kick start the industry and give us some experience before we fly solo.
Hope this answers your statement
Regards
Araz

Correcto ..... :pakistan::china:

Back
Top Bottom