What's new

F-16 Becomes a Target Drone.

In pure air combat maneuvering (ACM) training, the focus is on how to use one's aircraft to its fullest potential REGARDLESS of opposition platform. Tactics is when the focus shifts to analyses of opposition platform's strengths and weaknesses, then how to avoid the former and exploit the latter. Top Gun, Fighter Weapons School, and Red Flag enabled ACM and tactics in near combat environment.

I do not often use cliches, but for this, it is the proverbial 'game changer' in the training arena and no one outside the US is going to be the wiser. In other words, no pilot will know if his US opponent have received training from possibly the world's best technical training aid in terms of ACM.

@Sun Piwa

What do you think? Is it a good idea to turn F-16's into drones? I heard they wanted to use the F-16's for target practice but drones?? What's your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
In pure air combat maneuvering (ACM) training, the focus is on how to use one's aircraft to its fullest potential REGARDLESS of opposition platform. Tactics is when the focus shifts to analyses of opposition platform's strengths and weaknesses, then how to avoid the former and exploit the latter. Top Gun, Fighter Weapons School, and Red Flag enabled ACM and tactics in near combat environment.

I do not often use cliches, but for this, it is the proverbial 'game changer' in the training arena and no one outside the US is going to be the wiser. In other words, no pilot will know if his US opponent have received training from possibly the world's best technical training aid in terms of ACM.

I think the ability to replace humans in an aircraft is a generational leap in Arial warfare.

This technology has been in the pipeline for long but to see it mature to a level where it can actually fly a aircraft designed for humans is significant.

The potential for this is far greater than training. A totally autonomous AI aircraft is the next step. One in which you can program the mission details and it takes off, completes the mission, defends itself and then come home. This might still be a few years away but US is getting there.

That combined with AMD makes the world a lot more dangerous.

@Sun Piwa

What do you think? Is it a good idea to turn F-16's into drones? I heard they wanted to use the F-16's for target practice but drones?? What's your opinion?

He will probably blame the jews for this somehow :lol:

He will probably blame the jews for this somehow :lol:

I don't get it a vietnamese dude from france is anti-jewish.:undecided: I wonder why?
As far as i know some french people have a problem with chinese,somalian and albanian gangsters.

@Sun Piwa

Nothing special i must say, but thanks to make me meet gambit

so....how many f-16 s do they have??

Enough.

5428422791_748befabf6_z.jpg

its a great idea to start with and even greater when you take sub continent security needs into considration i guess india should buy a couple of squads of such drones as it will be a great tactical move which will not onli save lives of owr pilots during a surgical strike but will also confuse pakistani air defence and ground forces:azn:

By David Cenciotti

Here’s a really interesting video.

It shows the QF-16 Full Scale Aerial Target’s first flight on Sept. 19 from Tyndall Air Force base in Florida from a quite unusual perspective: a camera pointing towards an empty ejection seat.

The aircraft was remotely controlled from a Ground Control Station at Tyndall by two F-16 pilots (“QF-16 plane controllers”) with the 82nd Aerial Target Squadron who flew the plane up to 40,000 feet at supersonic speed (Mach 1.47) engaging maneuvers like a barrel roll and pulling up to 7Gs.

Noteworthy, the pilot start the engine up, performs all the flight checks and then get out of the plane before the drone is guided to take off. During the test flight, the QF-16 was chased by an F-4 and another F-16.

[video]http://bcove.me/th5cnigw[/video]

By David Cenciotti

Here’s a really interesting video.

It shows the QF-16 Full Scale Aerial Target’s first flight on Sept. 19 from Tyndall Air Force base in Florida from a quite unusual perspective: a camera pointing towards an empty ejection seat.

The aircraft was remotely controlled from a Ground Control Station at Tyndall by two F-16 pilots (“QF-16 plane controllers”) with the 82nd Aerial Target Squadron who flew the plane up to 40,000 feet at supersonic speed (Mach 1.47) engaging maneuvers like a barrel roll and pulling up to 7Gs.

Noteworthy, the pilot start the engine up, performs all the flight checks and then get out of the plane before the drone is guided to take off. During the test flight, the QF-16 was chased by an F-4 and another F-16.

[video]http://bcove.me/th5cnigw[/video]

I'm pretty sure there is already a thread for this.

While posting I don't see any but still if their is any thread found similar ... MOD please merge them

[video]http://bcove.me/jwwtliu0[/video]
To see the QF-16 make its first flight, watch the video.

Back
Top Bottom