What's new

Exploring India

Originally these female goddesses never had multiple arms.

Kmqinw0.jpg

wUgROEZ.jpg

2000+ years ago

They had weapons sticking out of their hair. Every weapon known to Indians.

Then around the Gupta era(1600+) you start to see these goddesses with multiple arms holding the weapons.

kRpQGaH.jpg

Actually, since a lot of discussion is about Buddhism, I would include Nepal and, especially, Afghanistan.

Although I don't know if Afghanistan was ever considered part of greater India (outside the Maurya empire).

Also not sure what role Sri Lankans (Sinhalese) played in all this.

Please don't let's get started on Hindu geography and Jambudvipa, or we'll never end this thread in the next hundred years. Just a thought to lure you into the maze: the borderlands up until Kandahar were ruled by an Indian dynasty until late in the 10th century. They were driven back in a fighting retreat over nearly a century, and their extinction pave the way for the next wave of incursions after the Huns.

In Buddhist terms, the Sri Lankans were part of a different camp, the Theravada. Honk if you want an explanation.

HFzAL.jpg

Ashoka the Great(left) sends his daughter to Sri Lanka. His daughter gives the Sri Lankans(right) a Bodhi tree sapling. Sri Lanka converts to Buddhism with the Mauryans push.

3fnjzPK.jpg

5i1o3ku.jpg

6jtZmHC.jpg

The artist used these to model Ashoka.

An interesting reaction. In my view, universities were a Buddhism phenomenon, not Hindu. I cannot think of a Hindu university. This is not a studied or informed response; anybody with facts to the contrary is welcome to cite those.

We cannot blame the Brahmins for the universities ;-) but we can remember that the Buddhists were inveterate wanderers Nd traveled widely bearing the Buddha's message.

......that part was said in jest but these institutions were not created in vacuum.

Institution building and natural evolution of schools into universities was my main point. Buddhist philosophy and institutions were built on the existing Hindu culture that existed earlier and partnered it.

Evolution of Buddhist philosophy and related intuition building follows same path as the evolution of the Upanishads using astika and nastika school of thought. Its follows the same six chief philosophical systems (saddarsana) in Hinduism i.e Mimamsa, Vedanta, Sankhya, Yoga, Nyaya and Vaisesika. If you look at major Buddhis philosophical works by Nagarjuna, Dignaga, Dharmakirti and Dharmottara you can see the easily see the influence of Hindu school of thought.

One of the most important factors that helped building these universities was active seeking of patronage of the state by the buddhists monks.

Guanyin's full name is Guanshiyin. It is a literal translation of Avalokitesvara.

Guanshiyin (观世音) = "Observing the sounds/cries of the world."

She is the Goddess of compassion and loved in all of East Asia.

Her depictions in art leave an impact on the mind, so peaceful, calm and other worldly.

2003-6-15-guanyin.jpg

Guan_Yin_1-1.JPG

2004-4-26-guanyin.jpg

guanyin500px.jpg

quanam05.jpg

GuanYinSea.jpg

ArdhaNarishvar-Guan-Yin-as-Lord-Shiva-Zeng-Hao.jpeg

Guanyin_acolytes.jpg

RPdxy001b.jpg

3913.jpeg

Qian_Shou_Guan_Yin_by_ryujin_0.jpg

goddess_GuanYin.jpg

31%20BuEr_GuanYin.jpg

guan-yin-with_child2.jpg

guanyin4.jpg

guanyin1.jpg

kuanyincsmall.jpg

kwan_yin_guanyin_by_phaedris-d3fljzu.jpg

kuanyind.jpg

51992834201012270828141094462314286_055.jpg

Guanyin.jpg

mother_guan_yin_by_ethongtian-d4tca9q.png

kwan_yin_guanyin_ii_by_phaedris-d46fbp9.jpg

2003-6-7-guanyin.jpg

guan_yin_medio_2.jpg

10027_guanyin-looking-down-from-the-clouds.jpg

Maybe going a bit off course,....but i could not resist

Lord-Ram-from-Ramayan-3392-A-D-32668.jpg

One Awesome kickass looking Lord Ram

......that part was said in jest but these institutions were not created in vacuum.

Institution building and natural evolution of schools into universities was my main point. Buddhist philosophy and institutions were built on the existing Hindu culture that existed earlier and partnered it.

Evolution of Buddhist philosophy and related intuition building follows same path as the evolution of the Upanishads using astika and nastika school of thought. Its follows the same six chief philosophical systems (saddarsana) in Hinduism i.e Mimamsa, Vedanta, Sankhya, Yoga, Nyaya and Vaisesika. If you look at major Buddhis philosophical works by Nagarjuna, Dignaga, Dharmakirti and Dharmottara you can see the easily see the influence of Hindu school of thought.

One of the most important factors that helped building these universities was active seeking of patronage of the state by the buddhists monks.

This is not accurate. There were connections, but the contradictions were so huge that they obscure all else.

In Buddhist terms, the Sri Lankans were part of a different camp, the Theravada. Honk if you want an explanation.

I mentioned Sri Lanka because some Vietnamese friends told me their Buddhism is closer to Sri Lanka's than Chinese/Japanese.

Anyway, fascinating discussion. Thanks.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom