What's new

Exclusive satellite for defence purposes on the cards

The intersting part is this:

It will be India's first officially declared spy satellite and according to ISRO,

RISAT 1 and 2 are known about though. Interestingly though the CCI-Sat seems to have more multi-mission capability ie it can do the job of RISAT1/2 but can also eavesdrop on communications!

I didn't even know about this system- thanks mate! Should be a MAJOR boost for India's fight against terrorism.

Would I be right in assuming the sat will be controlled and utilised by NRTO?

Nirbhay may have an uplink with GSAT-7.
It is possible sure. But you'd expect only the IN Nirbhays to use the GSAT-7 whilst the IAFs/SFC will have their own dedicate sat by the time the Nirbhay is fully operational and in service.

This one may be a secure voice/ messaging communication satellite?

It is a dedicated communication satellite. Currently Indian military is forced to use mixed use satellites for this purpose.
This one will host traffic for the entire services, but as the second one is launched, this will become exclusive for Indian Navy. Eventually the three services will have 3 separate dedicated sats for their communication needs.

This one may be a secure voice/ messaging communication satellite?

It is a dedicated communication satellite. Currently Indian military is forced to use mixed use satellites for this purpose.
This one will host traffic for the entire services, but as the second one is launched, this will become exclusive for Indian Navy. Eventually the three services will have 3 separate dedicated sats for their communication needs.

Would I be right in assuming the sat will be controlled and utilised by NRTO?
@Abingdonboy, there are many Indian satellites which are of dual purpose & is often use for military purpose. NTRO, was founded on this purpose, they use every available resource in India- satellites, recon planes, etc. for collecting technical intelligence, so there is no doubt that even this satellite will be used by them to gather intelligence.

I had posted about no. of satellites used by India for military purpose, u may like to have a look:

http://www.defence.pk/forums/indian-defence/231976-indian-defence-library-2.html#post3859470

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom