What's new

Featured Ex PN Chief Zafar Mehmood Abbasi highlighted PN modernization

PA: we ordered VT4 and no one knew
PAF: we're developing Project AZM
Navy: hold my ocean...

@JamD @Falcon26 @kursed

I'm not used to our armed forces providing so much actual information, so this is hard to process.

But it's excellent news.

Just to put things into perspective...we all got the MILGEM wrong. Not only is the PN going for 4 fully customized ADA corvettes (with VLS), but it's also developing a new frigate (i.e., 5th ship). This is just mind-blowing, and we haven't even gotten to absorbing the other stuff.

This was the ideal scenario, and none of us could've imagined it because of the 'Pakistan can't have nice things' syndrome we've had to go through for so many years.

I can’t wait to read Quwa premium on Sunday. These are all too much to absorb. But excellent news after a long drought. I have always maintained that in public relations, the navy was ahead of the rest, even ISPR.

Now that the Chief has said it himself, I can talk about the fact that all of PN new ships are being designed with deployment / collecting capability of a vast number of networked UUVs. This as well as underwater unmanned platforms, -- not sensors. But shooters. =) PN has outdone itself. But they have had help... in planning as well as execution.
I think the P282 ASBM is a little concerning. I fully appreciate the focus on getting a hypersonic attack capability, but it's also a sign that indigenous ramjet efforts are - at best - in their early stages. Unless we buy it off-the-shelf, a supersonic-cruising ASCM may be a while away. The P282 sounds like it's along the lines of the SY400.
I can’t wait to read Quwa premium on Sunday. These are all too much to absorb. But excellent news after a long drought. I have always maintained that in public relations, the navy was ahead of the rest, even ISPR.
I can't wait to read it too. It's one of those rare times when writing an article about future defence plans will sound like a wish-list, but it's 100% in the works.
Commercial loans, Chinese line of credit. And most of this has been in the works for sometime now, it's all bearing to fruit at the same time.
To be fair, naval projects also don't cost as much as modern fighter aircraft. Even the top-of-the-line MILGEM would be around $250 m per ship, and the PN wouldn't get more than 12. So, the program caps off at $3 b over 20-30 years. For the PAF, $3 b would barely cover even a squadron of Western 4.5+ gen fighters. It's a totally different equation.

To be fair, naval projects also don't cost as much as modern fighter aircraft. Even the top-of-the-line MILGEM would be around $250 m per ship, and the PN wouldn't get more than 12. So, the program caps off at $3 b over 20-30 years. For the PAF, $3 b would barely cover even a squadron of Western 4.5+ gen fighters. It's a totally different equation.
They are also not considered offensive, hence not really stopped from being acquired by us. PAF is under a whole lot of other strings, when it comes to truly offensive capabilities.

Last edited:
They are also not considered offensive, hence not really stopped from being acquired by us. PAF is under a whole other lot of strings, when it comes to truly offensive capabilities.
Even if it was offensive, the PN isn't going to capture Indian territory. The PA and PAF on the other hand do have that mandate (re: Kashmir).

I think the P282 ASBM is a little concerning. I fully appreciate the focus on getting a hypersonic attack capability, but it's also a sign that indigenous ramjet efforts are - at best - in their early stages. Unless we buy it off-the-shelf, a supersonic-cruising ASCM may be a while away. The P282 sounds like it's along the lines of the SY400.

I can't wait to read it too. It's one of those rare times when writing an article about future defence plans will sound like a wish-list, but it's 100% in the works.

Two ASBMs displayed in Zhuhai 2018:

CASIC CM401:
1602101897798.png

CASC M20B:
1602101954154.png

Even if it was offensive, the PN isn't going to capture Indian territory. The PA and PAF on the other hand do have that mandate (re: Kashmir).

Question during '65 and '71 did we have AShM coastal batteries?
Do we have such capabilities now?

In order to determine Friend or Foe would the coastal batteries use IFF sort of system?

Personally I seriously doubt that Naval Chief will reveal all of its future plans. Therefore I think there are few other things on which work has begun but they were not mentioned. Those are Destroyers and Nuclear Submarine.

Also can any one tell the Ballistic Missile which we are developing will it be fired from Land or did Naval Chief said it would be fired from surface vessels ???

@Tipu7 @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Rafi

SSG-N is small but a potent force. I'll say lets keep it that way.

In this way you have better trained and equipped personnel..

Agreed, expansion from 1 Battalion to Brigade will inevitably dilute quality in the short term

@Ark_Angel Is P-282 Anti-Ship Ballisitic Missile the program you have been hinting all along or is it a parallel program complimenting the Supersonic Cruise Missile- SMASH? Which MoDP report and you Both are hinting regularly
P-282 is a separate program. SMASH is separate. SmASH is super sonic anti ship missile that we’ll be outfitting on 1 of the new vessels that we’ll be acquiring. Adm ZM Abbasi’s contribution towards force modernisation has been unprecedented and will be remembered in history.
The legacy that he’ll leave behind will be the Jet LRMP program which was conceived,contracted and executed by him. I’d recommend we give the number to the first LRMP with ZM-001 like Rakesh Bahadurias Rafale RB-001.
Since the cat is out of the bag already, New Yuan which will be the basis of training for our Hangor class crew is a major step And a sign of more things to come. As far as the new heavier tonnage vessels are concerned @Tipu7 may not be correct in his analysis that the larger tonnage vessels may be heavier corvettes. The platform under discussion is a much much heavier beast unforeseen in capability that the region has seen. Let’s see if the new CNS has the same speed and capacity to Negotiate and conclude the offer that we have under discussion. Admiral Abassi was exceptional in this domain.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom