What's new

Featured Ex PN Chief Zafar Mehmood Abbasi highlighted PN modernization

That sounds like something from a dystopian future. I don't think we should cross that threshold where every merchant ship then becomes fair game.
It's more of a surefire way to make a dystopian future happen. Can you imagine issuing such a threat, "look, 200 million Pakistanis already know how to live in a dystopian future...so we have nothing to lose."

The realisation of Naval empowerment is evident in national strategy. One of the reasons is the placement of Pakistan major tactical and strategic assets within 200kms from the Baluchistan coastline in coming decade. Plus the Chinese investment at Ormara and Gwadar as well takes precedence for a strong Navy. Pakistan does not have blue water ambitions. It only needs to guard the Balochistan coastline that I envision as a major trade hub for Pakistan and China in this century.

Chinese investment in Ormara? please enlighten me/us?

Pakistan will have a blue water navy, everyone keeps forgetting that Pakistan is the 5th largest country in the world with 227 million and projected to be 400 million, same size as America. That matters.

It is simply a case of decent economic growth, other countries have done it, in-fact, so have we, in the past decades and there is no reason we cant again. especially with peace in Afghanistan. I'm not blowing any trumpets, but eventually we will deserve a place among the leading nations of the world.
Size always matters.

One of the reasons is the placement of Pakistan major tactical and strategic assets within 200kms from the Baluchistan coastline in coming decade. Plus the Chinese investment at Ormara and Gwadar as well takes precedence for a strong Navy. Pakistan does not have blue water ambitions.
Wouldn't that also mean commonality of PN weapon systems with PLAN, not just the Chinese frigates and subs themselves but going for Chinese systems/weapons integrated in them instead of western in case both Navies start patrolling in the region together due to mutual interests.
Swedes or Polish?
why not Turkish.

tbh the trippiest application of a ship-launched ASBM/BM is to sneak 'em aboard merchant/civie ships. However, the future I think will be in supersonic-cruising ASCM and a VL-LACM (Harbah) via a common VLS.
Sir if Pakistan is looking too or is developing long range ballistic and cruise missiles, which have range between 1200 KM to 2000 KM and are designed to be fired from surface vessels. Than that automatically means that Pakistan will be acquiring big Destroyers which have VLS to carry those Missiles.

@Tipu7

Last edited:
Chinese investment in Ormara? please enlighten me/us?

Pakistan will have a blue water navy, everyone keeps forgetting that Pakistan is the 5th largest country in the world with 227 million and projected to be 400 million, same size as America. That matters.

It is simply a case of decent economic growth, other countries have done it, in-fact, so have we, in the past decades and there is no reason we cant again. especially with peace in Afghanistan. I'm not blowing any trumpets, but eventually we will deserve a place among the leading nations of the world.
Size always matters.
If we just fix one wrong..i.e artificial manipulation of currency to create a boom (which is followed by burst) and curb some degree of corruption we can have a decent growth

There is no doubt that Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi was one of the best naval chiefs we have had and he made tremendous contribution in shaping the future of the navy, more so than many of his predecessors. The last CNS Admiral Zakaullah also did a lot but Admiral Abbassi took it to a whole new level. Both deserve our thanks and appreciation for their efforts. And one hopes that this trend continues with Admiral Amjad Niazi as well.

Coming to the items pointed out in Admiral Abbasi's speech he mentioned "fleet size of 50+ ships with 20 major ships being envisioned". Now Combine this with the statements that follow.

He also clearly mentioned that 4 MILGEM ships will join navy and the "5th Ship presently under design phase will Insha'Allah be Pakistan's first Jinnah class frigate". Aswell he mentioned that after 2x2300 ton corevettes, 6 additional ships with larger tonnage are being contracted as a follow-up. This clearly means he's talking about 6 more heavier corvettes and not destroyers. And these are probably from Damen aswell given the context of his comments.

This leads me to believe that the "20 major ships" that are being talked about are as follows,

1. 4 x F22-P. (existing)
2. 4 x Type-054 (coming)
3. 4 x MILGEM (coming)
4. 2 x 2300Ton Damen Ships (Coming)
5. 6 x heavier Damen Ships (Planned)

That's a total of 20.

So where does the 5th Milgem/Jinnah class ship fit then? And we can't just be building only one of these, so surely there will be more. As to that, I think that since the first 4 milgem/Ada will join by 2025 and the Jinnah class is still in design phase it could take some time and would presumably be something we see post 2025 and maybe further. In that time-frame they could possibly be replacing the F-22P ships.

Frankly, I don't see any destroyers in this picture.
Perhaps the PN does have some plans regarding those but personally I think that A) Admiral Abbasi didn't refer to those and B) These could be a longer term plan and maybe we'll find out more in the future.

Here's looking forward to Admiral Niazi's farewell speech. 8-)

Last edited:
Another exciting prospect is the P-282 ballistic missile he mentioned. But personally I think that "long-range" just means longer range in comparison to what missiles are available to the navy currently. So definitely not 1000+ Km range but rather something in 300-500 KM range perhaps.

Do share once you are cleared to do so
Pakistan navy will be transferred has from small submarine navy to full fledge one of the largest navies of the world

This is amazing
Big punch
Wouldn't that also mean commonality of PN weapon systems with PLAN, not just the Chinese frigates and subs themselves but going for Chinese systems/weapons integrated in them instead of western in case both Navies start patrolling in the region together due to mutual interests.

why not Turkish.
Another 4 milgem

There is no doubt that Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi was one of the best naval chiefs we have had and he made tremendous contribution in shaping the future of the navy, more so than many of his predecessors. The last CNS Admiral Zakaullah also did a lot but Admiral Abbassi took it to a whole new level. Both deserve our thanks and appreciation for their efforts. And one hopes that this trend continues with Admiral Amjad Niazi as well.

Coming to the items pointed out in Admiral Abbasi's speech he mentioned "fleet size of 50+ ships with 20 major ships being envisioned". Now Combine this with the statements that follow.

He also clearly mentioned that 4 MILGEM ships will join navy and the "5th Ship presently under design phase will Insha'Allah be Pakistan's first Jinnah class frigate". Aswell he mentioned that after 2x2300 ton corevettes, 6 additional ships with larger tonnage are being contracted as a follow-up. This clearly means he's talking about 6 more heavier corvettes and not destroyers. And these are probably from Damen aswell given the context of his comments.

This leads me to believe that the "20 major ships" that are being talked about are as follows,

1. 4 x F22-P. (existing)
2. 4 x Type-054 (coming)
3. 4 x MILGEM (coming)
4. 2 x 2300Ton Damen Ships (Coming)
5. 6 x heavier Damen Ships (Planned)

That's a total of 20.

So where does the 5th Milgem/Jinnah class ship fit then? And we can't just be building only one of these, so surely there will be more. As to that, I think that since the first 4 milgem/Ada will join by 2025 and the Jinnah class is still in design phase it could take some time and would presumably be something we see post 2025 and maybe further. In that time-frame they could possibly be replacing the F-22P ships.

Frankly, I don't see any destroyers in this picture.
Perhaps the PN does have some plans regarding those but personally I think that A) Admiral Abbasi didn't refer to those and B) These could be a longer term plan and maybe we'll find out more in the future.

Here's looking forward to Admiral Niazi's farewell speech. 8-)
Like I said out going Naval Chief didn't tell all the details. The details he told were wrong figures and this was intentionally done.Future Pakistan Navy would be much bigger than 50 ships and will have way more than 20 major vessels from that I mean it would more than 20 Destroyers and Frigates and Corvettes. Off Course Naval Chief was not going to reveal everything or reveal everything accurately.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Quwa @Rashid Mahmood @Tipu7 @Sulman Badshah @Path-Finder

Like I said out going Naval Chief didn't tell all the details. The details he told were wrong figures and this was intentionally done.Future Pakistan Navy would be much bigger than 50 ships and will have way more than 20 major vessels from that I mean it would more than 20 Destroyers and Frigates and Corvettes. Off Course Naval Chief was not going to reveal everything or reveal everything accurately.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Quwa @Rashid Mahmood @Tipu7 @Sulman Badshah @Path-Finder

Larger vessels are coming, only finances are a hindrance. The navy is going through a metamorphosis.

These are pretty much done deals /finalize projects. PN will have 50 ship navel force by 2025.
J class is future so may be its additional to theses 20 ships keeping in mind that F22p are hardly 10 year into service. It sure will be a really lavish thing if we retired them so early.

Beyond 2025 should expect more ships as well. but focus seems to be on localized ships and weapons. With local ASM LAM and now BM into the mix as well.

Finally, the word is out on P282, I never thought that this project would be disclosed before the final testing. But still it's just a number so no details to be disclosed. I would have preferred the total surprise like the sub-launched cruise test but still this is going to be a massive offensive capability. Thanks to CPEC, PN is going is being transformed and they have some real good game-changer projects underway.

Nice informative video, he summarized all the news given by the former Naval chief in a very easy to understand manner. A must watch for fanboys like me...

Everything makes sense except for the Marines Division, which is expeditionary by definition!! Where will Pak land her expeditionary forces?!?!
Indian Gujarat (hopefully).
maybe it is just being done to have a potent sizable force in the marshes, that is able to defend against whatever it faces from the other side.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom