What's new

Ex-militant from Kashmir gets Shaurya Chakra.

Reaction score
He fully lived up to his name.

Rifleman Abdul Hamid Chara from Kashmir was named by his father, Laldin Chara, after the legendary Indian soldier Abdul Hamid Khan who destroyed several enemy tanks at Asal Uttar in Amritsar during the India-Pakistan War on September 9, 1965. Company Quarter Master Havildar (CQMH) Khan was later awarded India's highest gallantry award, the Parma Vir Chakra (PVC) posthumously. And this was the first PVC of the 1965 war.

President Pratibha Patil today honoured Chara, the surrendered militant-turned-soldier, with Shaurya Chakra (Posthumous) for displaying extraordinary courage and dedication to duty.

His wife, Gulshan, received the award from the President at an investiture ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan this evening. Born exactly ten years after the 1965 Indo-Pak war on March 8, 1975, Hamid Chara grew up to be a sincere and hard working boy in the serene environs of Dardapora village in Lolab Valley of north Kashmir's Kupwara district. At play, he was regarded a leader among his Gujjar friends. Hamid Chara was barely 14 years of age when a sudden wave of terrorism swept roost part of the Kashmir valley. Al-Barq militants kidnapped and forced Hamid Chara to join the outfit. However, he deserted them after a couple of days and surrendered to the police.

Hamid Chara later served with the Special Operation Group (SOG) of the Jammu and Kashmir Police and provided valuable inputs, leading to many successful anti-insurgency operations. Unmindful of threat to him and his family, he continued to work for ushering in peace in picturesque Lolab valley.

Frustrated over unsuccessful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) attack on Hamid Chara, militants killed his father Laldin in 2004 in cold-blooded murder.

In October 2004, Hamid Chara joined 62 Infantry Battalion (Territorial Army) and was posted with Divar (Markul) Company of 18 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) battalion.

On June 12 last year, Hamid Chara took part in search and destroy operation in Ander Nar area of Gagal (Kupwara). During mid day, he observed two militants trying to run away. Hamid Chara allowed them to come within five meters as he crawled under dense undergrowth of vegetation to cut off their escape route.

Suddenly militants spotted him and brought down heavy volume of rocket, grenade and small arms fire.

Despite serious multiple gun shot and splinter injuries, 33-year-old Hamid Chara continued to bring down accurate fire and crawled downhill to cover dead ground and killed one militant who was later identified as Mussa, the self-styled District Commander of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) in Kupwara. Mussa was in charge of coordinating all activities and management of the LeT.

after the legendary Indian soldier Abdul Hamid Khan who destroyed several enemy tanks
One soldier destroys 'several' enemy tanks? What was he, Iron Man?
I doubt the accuracy of this whole thing, why would rebel fighters kidnap a kid especially back in the 80s, when they certainly had more than enough recruits...
Why would they go through the troubles of using an 'IED' to kill one lowly policeman?
Chara was crawling '5 meters away' and the 2 rebels decided to open up with 'heavy volume of rocket, grenade and small arms fire'? What the hell? A pistol would have been enough, and still he survived?
This whole thing sounds too much like some Indian movie to me...

Good movie script. Keep it up. Soon all terrorists will be in Indian army doing the same.

I can't comment on the abovementioned article, but there are many Kashmiri youth in the Indian Army, Indian Paramilitary Forces and the State Police, who were formerly members, to varying degrees, of seperatist/terrorist groups.

One soldier destroys 'several' enemy tanks? What was he, Iron Man?:disagree:

No, be wasn't Iron man but he was a fine soldier. :sniper:

Company Quarter Master Havildar Abdul Hamid was a soldier in the 4 Grenadiers, Indian Army, who died in the Khem Karan sector during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1965, and was the posthumous recipient of the highest military decoration of the Republic of India, the Param Vir Chakra. The award was announced on 16 September 1965, less than a week had elapsed from the battle when he lost his life.

He was born at Dhamupur village of Ghazipur in Uttar Pradesh on July 1, 1933, the son of Usman. He was enrolled in the 4 Grenadiers on 27 December 1954. In the 1988 Television serial Param Vir Chakra by Chetan Anand, Abdul Hamid is played by actor Naseeruddin Shah.

[edit] Action in Indo-Pak War
Although his citation gives him credit for only 3 Tanks destroyed, it is confirmed that he had destroyed no less than 7 enemy tanks [1]. This is because the citation for Abdul Hamid's PVC was sent on the evening on 9 September 1965 but he destroyed 3 more tanks on the next day, plus the seventh one which also killed him. PVC Abdul Hamid, a brave son of India, thereby exposed the vulnerability of the Patton M48 tanks, thousands of which were literally gifted by the then US administration to the military dictatorship of General Khan in the Islamic Republic of Pakistan to help it destablise the democratically elected government of pluralistic India. After the debacle of much more superiorly and lethally armed Pakistan in the 1965 war with India because of the courageous actions of the likes of Company Quarter Master Havildar Abdul Hamid, the M48 was largely forced into extinction from military use around the world and replaced by the M60. Despite being thought to be much more numerous and superior to the small number and obsolete tanks fielded by the Indian Army, Pakistan lost several Patton tanks in the war. India set up a war memorial named "Patton Nagar" ("Patton Town") in Khemkaran District, where the captured Pakistani Patton tanks are displayed. A U.S. study of the battles in South Asia concluded that weaker areas of the Patton's armor (such as rear and sides) could in fact be penetrated by the 84mm 20 pounder guns of the Centurion and the 75mm guns of the AMX-13.

[edit] Citation
The citation for the Param Vir Chakra awarded to him reads:

COMPANY QUARTER MASTER HAVILDAR ABDUL HAMID
4 GRENADIERS (NO 2639985)
At 0800 hours on 10 September 1965 Pakistan forces launched an attack with a regiment of Patton tanks on a vital area ahead of village Cheema on the Bhikkiwind road in the Khem Karam Sector. Intense artillery shelling preceded the attack. The enemy tanks penetrated the forward position by 0900 hours. Realising the grave situation, Company Quarter Master Havildar Abdul Hamid who was commander of an RCL gun detachment moved out to a flanking position with his gun mounted on a jeep, under intense enemy shelling and tank fire. Taking an advantageous position, he knocked out the leading enemy tank and then swiftly changing his position, he sent another tank up in flames. By this time the enemy tanks in the area spotted him and brought his jeep under concentrated machine-gun and high explosive fire. Undeterred, Company Quarter Master Havildar Abdul Hamid kept on firing on yet another enemy tank with his recoilless gun. While doing so, he was mortally wounded by an enemy high explosive shell.

Havildar Abdul Hamid’s brave action inspired his comrades to put up a gallant fight and to beat back the heavy tank assault by the enemy. His complete disregard for his personal safety during the operation and his sustained acts of bravery in the face of constant enemy fire were a shining example not only to his unit but also to the whole division and were in the highest traditions of the Indian Army.[2]

What a load of junk seriously Mr Khalsa, if you still wish to challange that then I shall explain to you why the second article you posted is even more fictional than the first one posted above.
largely forced into extinction from military use around the world
Despite being thought to be much more numerous and superior to the small number and obsolete tanks fielded by the Indian Army
Think about it, and ask yourself, are the above claims true? Even by a long shot? So now Pakistan had more tanks than India did in the war, did we? The whole thing is dripping with anti-Pakistani propaganda, though I admit its pretty imaginative. And even if by some miracle a jeep with a recoil-less gun did manage to bring 3 superior armed and armoured tanks down, it cant be said that he "knocked out several enemy tanks"...perhaps that his team or section did it because one person cant manage a recoil gun on his own, let alone drive around the jeep and fire it again and again.

So back to the topic, any one would have to be mental to toss a grenade at some one standing 5 meters away...unless they are trying to get blown to pieces themselves. And where did this "heavy volume of rocket, grenade and small arms fire" come from? Was this a couple of ragtag insurgents or a battalion of US Marines this dude was sneaking up on?

I can't comment on the abovementioned article, but there are many Kashmiri youth in the Indian Army, Indian Paramilitary Forces and the State Police, who were formerly members, to varying degrees, of seperatist/terrorist groups.
Yes indeed, many ex-militants now do work for Indian forces and agencies(loosely) but I doubt they are in uniform...and if they are, it doesnt speak too well about indian recruiting standards I'm afraid.

Yes indeed, many ex-militants now do work for Indian forces and agencies(loosely) but I doubt they are in uniform...and if they are, it doesnt speak too well about indian recruiting standards I'm afraid.

With regard to the usage of the term "loosely," I disagree with you. Mind you, these "ex-militants" are local Kashmiri youth who have been brainwashed and led to ruin their lives. These young men were offered a chance to join the Indian security forces, and they took it up readily. For this, they and their families have been targeted by terrorist groups. I doubt they would be working "loosely" under such conditions. Some, yes, may be; all, very unlikely. Frankly, some of them might even be playing their roles sincerely.

With regard to the standards of the Indian recruitment agencies, isn't it better that the locals be entrusted such jobs more than non-locals, simply because these youths are more aware of the local conditions? Further, these youths are largely involved in police duties. Moreover, if the Indian security agencies would have shunned these youths away, is it possible that these men would have been able to get proper jobs and support their lives? Especially, when you have a criminal record?

I dont think this is the right way to look at it, I disagree with many assumptions you have made but I respect the fact that this is your view. If you would like, I can tell you what I think in regards to recruitment of individuals in the armed forces of those shunned in other fields because of their 'criminal record'...but otherwise I dont want to indulge in what might be considered a debate a little off topic.

The ex militants are not in the armed forces.

They are in the police and maybe in some para military forces.

Even civilians are entitled to Kirti, Shaurya and Ashoke Chakras.

Sorry guys, my bad. I think Salim is right; these ex-militants do not serve in the Armed Forces.

Kasrkin, I would be more than glad to hear your opinion.

Okay then, but first of all when I said 'loosely' I was not refering to ex-militants serving in uniform, because like I have already stated I dont think the Indian Army or para-military forces or police recruit them. Maybe some might end up in the latter two, but that would be unusual to say the least. And then again that depends on how exactly you choose to define the terms 'para-military' and 'police', for example an irregular outfit working at the behest of Indian forces, secretly or not, might be refered to by foreign media as a 'para-military' force in the valley...thats why I was trying to keep it simple as in with or without uniform.
Without uniform, yes I think it is a well known fact with in intelligence agencies and even with human right watches that irregular groups in the valley do operate with the blessing of the Indian forces. Many but not all of these can be called ex-rebels at some point or another. Even Indian intelligence sources have often boasted about how they have infiltrated many militant groups and made them less of a threat to Indian rule. This is true, and Indian agencies do have considerable influence in this manner, however this fact while speaking positively of Indian military achievements also robs credibilitly from the often heard accusations that all violent and militant activity in Kashmir should be attributed to groups operating under the aegis of the Pakistani intelligence. So maybe this is why you may not have heard of this so much, it is kept rather discreet.
In uniform you must remember that the Army has its regiments, which is a strong social and cultural force, not just a military one. Often soldiers, particularly of the lower ranks, are recruited from the same places or villages or districts...not from the regions where their units are operating or deployed.
The Indian army and the militants have been fighting for more than 20 years, its pretty bitter, so its a little more complicated than "okay now I see the light, and I will do the right thing by joining the Indian Army". These stories are clever if you want to feed them to the hostile local population, but not wholly accurate.
I dont know much about Indian para-military and police structure in Kashmir, maybe some ex-militants serve, I dont know. But I'm sure its going to be hard for their comrades not to label them negatively socially at the very least, and I do know that the percentage of Muslims serving in the Indian armed forces is very small, less than 5% if I remember correctly.
So thats my take on things.

Like I said earlier, Salim has rightly pointed out that these ex-militants do not serve with the Indian Army.

These ex-militants are, however, hired by the paramilitary and police forces in some cases. These may be relatively less.

Further, they (ex-militants) also serve in non-uniform roles, more akin to a local "police-keeping" force under the local paramilitary or state police forces.

With regard to your comments on the Indian agencies having moles in these terrorist groups, you are right and I'm aware of that. However, while the Indians may be holding "influence" over some of the groups, I doubt it would be to the extent that you are assuming.

Not all militant elements in Kashmir oppose Indian rule, these are the groups I was refering to when I said 'influence', not the pro-Pakistani and anti-Indian ones. With them its moles, yes, but any measure of control...no not really. And lets not forget these groups keep changing, less loyal or dedicated commanders or operatives from one might choose to join another...

Back
Top Bottom