What's new

Evolution of Pakistan's tactical nukes

CriticalThought

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Recently, reports have emerged of a high powered electromagnetic rail gun developed by the Chinese. If Nasr's tactical warhead is propelled using such a railgun, it would increase its efficacy because:

1. The tell tale signature of ballistic missile launch would be removed.

2. Interception would be extremely difficult because the small warhead would be moving at a very high velocity.

Recently, reports have emerged of a high powered electromagnetic rail gun developed by the Chinese. If Nasr's tactical warhead is propelled using such a railgun, it would increase its efficacy because:

2. Interception would be extremely difficult because the small warhead would be moving at a very high velocity.

What is the size of rail gun and how it will be taken to the within 60KM os battlefield. ?

I dont think that its possible as impact of electromagnitic waves on warhead could be unpredictable ... furthermore it is already very difficult to engage tactical due to short response team ... its a matter of couple of minutes at max. No short range SAM is capable to engage such a fast moving targets and battle field range + couple of minutes response time means chances of interception are negligible ...

Aren't nukes abit volotile to being shot through a rail gun?

I dont think that its possible as impact of electromagnitic waves on warhead could be unpredictable ...

Which is why there is a test phase where you remove such unpredictability. You don't cross of a weapons system on the mere possibility of it being unpredictable.

furthermore it is already very difficult to engage tactical due to short response team ... its a matter of couple of minutes at max. No short range SAM is capable to engage such a fast moving targets and battle field range + couple of minutes response time means chances of interception are negligible ...

Is there any official source you can produce to back up your claims?

Aren't nukes abit volotile to being shot through a rail gun?

Really? Has this been tested?

Which is why there is a test phase where you remove such unpredictability. You don't cross of a weapons system on the mere possibility of it being unpredictable.

Is there any official source you can produce to back up your claims?

Really? Has this been tested?

Sir i respect you for your posts on pdf but i think you need to read rail tech ... it does not involve any weapon and attack is made though kinetic energy of the projectile ... there is a reason that no flameable material used in rail gun as it involves very high electronic waves ... if we put a war head as per your suggestion it will definitley be fried by electro magnetic waves of rail gun ...

Sir i dont have any official source but i know physics and i am studyong these weapon system from quite sometime ...
Nasr is a solid fuel based missile and solid fuel missiles are of very high speed ... for example shaheen which is of much greater weight travels outsides the earth armosphere within few minutes similarly cm400 akg can attain speeds between mach 4 to 5 by using combination of solid fuel and ballistic force ... furthermore do you think india has capability to put such an advance short range SAM to rngage a missile with speed of minimum 4mach and reaction time of max 3 to 4 minutes ? (shaheen 3 impact time is less than 30 minutes on a range of 2750km) ...

Wven US donot claim to completely capable of counter such a weapon as even if SAM is there it has to be on an ideal location to ntercept such a fast missile in real life battle field scenario a situation like thisbis almosy inpossible

Sir i respect you for your posts on pdf but i think you need to read rail tech ... it does not involve any weapon and attack is made though kinetic energy of the projectile ... there is a reason that no flameable material used in rail gun as it involves very high electronic waves ... if we put a war head as per your suggestion it will definitley be fried by electro magnetic waves of rail gun ...

The answer is electromagnetic shielding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding

I am not saying it is going to be as easy as plopping a warhead onto the railgun. It will need technological advancement, and we should spend effort towards this aim.

Sir i dont have any official source but i know physics and i am studyong these weapon system from quite sometime ...
Nasr is a solid fuel based missile and solid fuel missiles are of very high speed ... for example shaheen which is of much greater weight travels outsides the earth armosphere within few minutes similarly cm400 akg can attain speeds between mach 4 to 5 by using combination of solid fuel and ballistic force ... furthermore do you think india has capability to put such an advance short range SAM to rngage a missile with speed of minimum 4mach and reaction time of max 3 to 4 minutes ? (shaheen 3 impact time is less than 30 minutes on a range of 2750km) ...

Wven US donot claim to completely capable of counter such a weapon as even if SAM is there it has to be on an ideal location to ntercept such a fast missile in real life battle field scenario a situation like thisbis almosy inpossible

There is no reason not to make a system even more lethal than it is already. And India will be working with Israel on this. Per their updated CSD, they will seek to go against our nukes and their delivery systems at the earliest stage possible. They will be targeting all stages from storage, to armed missile on TEL, to missile in-flight. We need to work on making each of these stages attack proof.

I am not talking about loading the entire Nasr onto the railgun, just the warhead. And 10 years ago, it could hurl 25 kg across a distance of 250 km:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chin...e-railgun-only-takes-45-sec-to-reload.474036/

Its current power is classified.

it doesnt give any strategic edge as Nasr is designed to be battlefield weapon.
We already have other missiles to deliver it to 250+ KM but there is specific reason that NASR is kept at 60KM.
making it for railgun not only creates logistic issues but also the security of the weapon will be much difficult.

it doesnt give any strategic edge as Nasr is designed to be battlefield weapon.
We already have other missiles to deliver it to 250+ KM but there is specific reason that NASR is kept at 60KM.
making it for railgun not only creates logistic issues but also the security of the weapon will be much difficult.

I don't envisage using rail guns to increase range. It should be used to increase the velocity of the projectile to make it even more difficult to intercept using ABM systems.

Making it for railgun should make it easier because now you only need the warhead, which should be tiny given its a sub-kiloton device. A tiny projectile of death, destruction, and utter lethality would be the worst nightmare of the enemy.

Oh, one more thing. With the railgun concept, you can completely disconnect the warhead with the delivery mechanism. You can bring in the railgun, and once you are sure about its safety, the tiny warhead can be transported very, very easily.

I don't envisage using rail guns to increase range. It should be used to increase the velocity of the projectile to make it even more difficult to intercept using ABM systems.

Making it for railgun should make it easier because now you only need the warhead, which should be tiny given its a sub-kiloton device. A tiny projectile of death, destruction, and utter lethality would be the worst nightmare of the enemy.

Oh, one more thing. With the railgun concept, you can completely disconnect the warhead with the delivery mechanism. You can bring in the railgun, and once you are sure about its safety, the tiny warhead can be transported very, very easily.

Sir you did not discuss the security mechanism in case of warhead. The NASR Launcher comes with complete security mechanism that it cant be used even if it lies in wrong hands. will that be a case of warhead ?

Also the size and mobility of railgun is not known.

Third the NASR is already a dodging missile and quite fast and fired in salvo formation as well so its already too difficult to engage all of them.

Its range is enough for the purpose its designed otherwise it was not difficult for our planners to make a 100KM NASR. May be they will make extended range version if they feel the need.

So far Nasr is a complete system and i dont see any replacement in near to medium future unless any other reliable tactical nuke tech is fully tested and inducted.

Sir you did not discuss the security mechanism in case of warhead. The NASR Launcher comes with complete security mechanism that it cant be used even if it lies in wrong hands. will that be a case of warhead ?

Also the size and mobility of railgun is not known.

Third the NASR is already a dodging missile and quite fast and fired in salvo formation as well so its already too difficult to engage all of them.

Its range is enough for the purpose its designed otherwise it was not difficult for our planners to make a 100KM NASR. May be they will make extended range version if they feel the need.

So far Nasr is a complete system and i dont see any replacement in near to medium future unless any other reliable tactical nuke tech is fully tested and inducted.

Of course. The rail gun is merely a suggestion. It needs to be researched tested and then inducted.

The security can be patterned after existing mechanism. The launcher will not activate without directive from central command system.

The size is a good question that I haven't looked into yet.

Of course. The rail gun is merely a suggestion. It needs to be researched tested and then inducted.

The security can be patterned after existing mechanism. The launcher will not activate without directive from central command system.

The size is a good question that I haven't looked into yet.
Not only the rail gun..there are other alternatives too:

The W54 nuclear warhead was used in the man-portable M-388 Davy Crockett projectile. The unusually small size of the warhead is apparent.. a test of a 6 kt warhead was done successfully..
Davy_Crockett_bomb.jpg

1770__450x450_m-388-davy-crockett.jpg

m388_davy_crockett_1.jpg

M_388_%20Davy_%20Crockett_tete_face.jpg

FM23-30-Davy-Crockett-port-a-packs.jpg

FM23-30-Davy-Crockett-preparing-to-fire-step-2.jpg

And

US scientists with a full-scale cut-away model of the W48 155-millimeter nuclear artillery shell, a very small tactical nuclear weapon with an explosive yield equivalent to 72 tons of TNT (0.072 kiloton). It could be fired from any standard 155 mm (6.1 inch) howitzer (e.g., the M114 or M198)
W48_155-millimeter_nuclear_shell.jpg

An American eight-inch W33 nuclear artillery shell. This warhead had a number of different yield options (e.g., five kilotons). It could be fired from any standard eight-inch (203mm) howitzer (e.g., the M110 or M115)
Mk33.jpg

Add this Turkish Electromagnetic Launcher (EML) to the artillery nuclear shell and it will make another potent TNW.. with a range of 30 kms and a speed of 3000/s

5dc08f1e-dcd5-4d29-8d7b-5e4cbf5b2061.jpg

e332eb7f-b335-4830-97bd-2db6bde95a2f.jpg

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/electromagnetic-surprise-by-aselsan.489679/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom