What's new

Eurofighter locked on by F-16

Posted on theregister.co.uk and asian-defence.net

RAF Eurofighter Typhoons 'beaten by Pakistani F-16s'

Three-nil, apparently. Brit flyboys 'shocked'
8 Jun 2011 at 10:00
Pakistani pilots flying modernised versions of the 1970s-vintage F-16 Falcon fighter have beaten the RAF's brand-new Eurofighter Typhoon superfighters during air combat exercises in Turkey, according to a Pakistani officer.

This interview with an unnamed but evidently experienced Pakistani Air Force (PAF) F-16 pilot on exchange with the Turkish air force, posted on the official site of the PAF display team, includes the following intriguing passage. (Hat tip to the excellent DEW Line blog for flagging this up.)

Q: Any memorable experiences that you would like to share?
A: On one occasion – in one of the international Anatolian Eagles - PAF pilots were pitted against RAF Typhoons, a formidable aircraft. There were three set-ups and in all three, we shot down the Typhoons. The RAF pilots were shocked.

Q: Any particular reason for your success?

A: NATO pilots are not that proficient in close-in air-to-air combat. They are trained for BVR [Beyond Visual Range] engagements and their tactics are based on BVR engagements. These were close-in air combat exercises and we had the upper hand because close-in air combat is drilled into every PAF pilot and this is something we are very good at.

The J-10 & F-16 are almost equal in comparison, I guess it was more about the pilot training rather then the performance of the plane that produces such outcome.
That's the exact reason :)

Pakistani pilots flying modernised versions of the 1970s-vintage F-16 Falcon fighter have beaten the RAF's brand-new Eurofighter Typhoon superfighters during air combat exercises in Turkey, according to a Pakistani officer.

This interview with an unnamed but evidently experienced Pakistani Air Force (PAF) F-16 pilot on exchange with the Turkish air force, posted on the official site of the PAF display team, includes the following intriguing passage. (Hat tip to the excellent DEW Line blog for flagging this up.)

A: On one occasion – in one of the international Anatolian Eagles - PAF pilots were pitted against RAF Typhoons, a formidable aircraft. There were three set-ups and in all three, we shot down the Typhoons. The RAF pilots were shocked.

A: NATO pilots are not that proficient in close-in air-to-air combat. They are trained for BVR [Beyond Visual Range] engagements and their tactics are based on BVR engagements. These were close-in air combat exercises and we had the upper hand because close-in air combat is drilled into every PAF pilot and this is something we are very good at.

Very good Pakistan! Plz keep up with your awesome fighting skills, we have much to learn from you.

In one of the english news papers of Pakistan there was an article on the post Pakistan and China exercise where it was reported that the Chinese commented "PAF pilots are far more aggressive and we have learnt a lot from this exercise."

Not very surprising PAF pilots are counted among the best in the world.

I find no words to praise Our Sherdils ( Mean combat Team Fighter pilots)

its not a PAF F-16 nor the the plane appear in gun sight is J-10, plz view the attached video. (video upload dated 21-06-2011)

secondly if i remember correctly non of PAF F-16 ever participated in Shaheen series of exercises b/w PAF & PLAAF (plz correct me if I amwrong)
I used to have an F-16 flight simulator as a kid. This video takes me back to those days

chengdu_j10_3v.jpg

2000px-Eurofighter_Typhoon_line_drawing.svg.png

1 v 2 engines
y/n ventral strakes
canards at the front of rear of the cockpit.
y/n wingtip pods.

wINGTIP SHAPE AND CANARD LOCATION SUGGEST j-10

lol wINGTIP SHAPE AND CANARD LOCATION SUGGEST j-10, did you watch the video HRK linked.

Thats what I have been saying, I also was told by one friend once that PAF jf17 avionics is better than j10 in some aspects and has better results against f16. We dont need j10 rather a AESA jf17 with HMD and OFFBORE SIGHT type missiles and if possible Meteor type bvr with Excellent scape zone these stuffs will make it even better than blk 52+.

Further The speculations many of us have that Simple Xband Pulse doppler cannot match to aesa is wrong. In exercises a pulse doppler has as good results as aesa difference is that the AESA scenario is not used all the time but in low signature mission where u tend to sneak in ... Just my 2 pence to share :)

Thats what I have been saying, I also was told by one friend once that PAF jf17 avionics is better than j10 in some aspects and has better results against f16. We dont need j10 rather a AESA jf17 with HMD and OFFBORE SIGHT type missiles and if possible Meteor type bvr with Excellent scape zone these stuffs will make it even better than blk 52+.

Further The speculations many of us have that Simple Xband Pulse doppler cannot match to aesa is wrong. In exercises a pulse doppler has as good results as aesa difference is that the AESA scenario is not used all the time but in low signature mission where u tend to sneak in ... Just my 2 pence to share :)

JF-17 avionics came from J-10A but J-10C avionics came from J-20. Similarly J-10 has a full-scaled AESA radar with extended range while its down-scaled AESA radar will be provided to JF-17 due to its smaller nose. Same is the difference found in the engine thrust, max. speed, G-limit, max takeoff weight, surface ceiling and number of hard points of J-10 and JF-17. Plus J-10 also has canards for agility and built-in IRST.

So just imagine, what would J-10 C do in the hands of PAF pilots.

Back
Top Bottom