What's new

"EU needs defence force 'under Union command' "

Nope, not when the rafale and EF and Gripen-NG fall in the same segment. You need to understand they are all MRCAs, which means that they cannot occupy different roles within the operational doctrines- again unless someone wants to engage in expensive duplication of capabilities.

Majority of produced EF's are optimized for aerial warfare, with the exception of a couple modified UK tranche 1 planes and the now coming tranche 2 and 3.
That almost automatically disqualifies the EF for ground warfare, which Rafale is certified to do in all it's nuances.
Gripen, well, here you are sort of correct but it is also cheaper and can take off from 500m of highway which the other two can't. I'm sure the short take off capabilities could be well utilized somewhere.

You would be better qualified in responding to this question seeing that you come from a more developed country in the EU,a country that has to absorb immigrants from a less developed countries, like mine.The only entity i would not like to see in the EU from that list is Kosovo as I ,and oficialy my country, don't recognise it as a legitimate state.

Fingers crossed for the UK to leave us in 2017 as for the americans,well,under all the facade smiles,ofcourse they oppose the ideea but we shouldn't care about that.Time for them to deal with Asia Pacific drama and for europeans to secure their own faith,different from the USA.

I do not mention exactly that it will be good or bad as the fact that i am also a expat from my country. :) Thank you anyway

As an outsider, I think a unified EU military is a bad idea. Why? Because European countries are divided in their seriousness and commitments to defense. For example; the United Kingdom, France and the Netherlands are the only countries who take defense very seriously and are willing to spend a large proportion of their GDP on defence! Germany and Italy are also serious about defence, but they spend less money than the UK and France even though they have similar sized economies. However, countries like Spain, Ireland, Poland, Romania and the rest of Europe are mostly very lazy about defense and don't like to spend too much money on their defense budgets. Instead, countries like Romania prefer to rely on the USA, UK and France to defend them.

Personally, I think it is unfair that the UK and France should have to pay to defend Romania - first, Romania should start spending more on its own defense budget and make its military stronger by itself.

@Alienware -While you're right about Romania,Poland actually spends 2-2,2% of its GDP on defence.As i've said before,for this to work every country should be forced by treaty to spend somewhere between 2-2.5% of GDP on defence so that everybody will carry its own weight and not only rely on the others.
@Alienware -While you're right about Romania,Poland actually spends 2-2,2% of its GDP on defence.As i've said before,for this to work every country should be forced by treaty to spend somewhere between 2-2.5% of GDP on defence so that everybody will carry its own weight and not only rely on the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom