What's new

Ethnic composition of Muslim nobility under Mughal emperor Aurangzeb

I doubt they all moved back? There are people of Uzbek origin in Pakistan, probably their claim is right.

What could be the surname of these descendents of uzbeks?
In a book i read that Uzbeks were recruited in Mughal army and nobility even though they were traditionally enemies of Mughals. The 1564 revolt of Uzbeks against their Mughal rulers in India indicate that these two groups of Turanis were distinct while nowadays Mughals are considered uzbeks by most.

I went through list of all the nobles of Aurangzeb, all the muslim nobles (except Syeds and few others) had 'Khan" surnames whether they were Iranis, Turanis, Afghans and Indians. I think nowadays their descendents must be calling themselves "Pathans"

There were few dozen mughal villages according to British settlement report of Gujrat. So there are some genuine mughals who were land owners. But what types? Maybe adina baig types or racially mughal/central asian? Probably mixer of both

"Moglials, 26 villages. — Are divided into four sections — Barlas,
Chaughatta, Ghoreh, D^nshmandeh ; they are thus mentioned in th"

Full text of "Report on the Second Regular Settlement of the Gujrat District, Panjab"

I have seen some punjabis with barlas and chugtai surname.

This list is confusing because Rajpouts can be Hindu or Muslims. Did you put Muslim Rajpout in list of Hindu or in list Indian Muslim? lol Plenty of Irani in that lists and were all those Afghan Pashtun?

Mughal Empire was successful because it had incorporated different local tribes and often made political alliances with them to win their trust. They often used one strong tribe against others as was the case with gakhars and janjua rajpout in pothohar region. Janjuas were old enemy of gakhars so Mughal made alliances with janjuas and they fought many battles for them i.e Panipat, Khanwa and siege of rana sanga etc. Darwesh khan janjua was akbar's most renowned General who defeated Hathi Khan Gakhar and recaputred the terreiotity taken from them by haiti gakhars

Another interesting thing is that even maratha hindus made good numbers, no idea why only hindu rajputs are blamed for being traitors :-)

hindu rajputs 144 vs 123 maratha hindus.

Another interesting thing is that even maratha hindus made good numbers, no idea why only hindu rajputs are blamed for being traitors :-)

hindu rajputs 144 vs 123 maratha hindus.
that also under Aurangzeb who according to them were most hostile and anti Hindu than any others Mughal emperor

Out of 124 nobles, with ranks of 1000 zats above, who supported Aurangzeb in war of succession, 82 were Rajputs.........Aurangzeb had very large number of Hindus in his nobility, mostly from Rajput and Marathas......

But but but .. According to indian hindus he was an evil muslim tyrant!!

But but but .. According to indian hindus he was an evil muslim tyrant!!

That he was. Never consider need with generosity. He has little choice but to deal with those Hindu kings. His behaviour elsewhere fully justifies the description of him in your post.

That he was. Never consider need with generosity. He has little choice but to deal with those Hindu kings. His behaviour elsewhere fully justifies the description of him in your post.

And yet hindu kings and hindu generals were employed by him? Sounds like BS don't it.. I mean you guys only have biased nationalist hindus to support your claim ?

There were few dozen mughal villages according to British settlement report of Gujrat. So there are some genuine mughals who were land owners. But what types? Maybe adina baig types or racially mughal/central asian? Probably mixer of both

"Moglials, 26 villages. — Are divided into four sections — Barlas,
Chaughatta, Ghoreh, D^nshmandeh ; they are thus mentioned in th"

Full text of "Report on the Second Regular Settlement of the Gujrat District, Panjab"

I have seen some punjabis with barlas and chugtai surname.

I know some "real" mughals dei
Jhelum ... They maintain their shajrah nasb,letters,swords etc from the good ol times..

P.S; Adina Baig was Arian from Punjab who rose to become to the powerful man by deciet not wasn't Mughal.

And yet hindu kings and hindu generals were employed by him? Sounds like BS don't it.. I mean you guys only have biased nationalist hindus to support your claim ?.

Nope. Pretty much any historian other than the extreme left will tell you that ( even they do not deny his atrocities but give other reasons for it), even moderate left historians. All you need to do is read history. There were 6 great Mughals. If you leave out the invader Babur, no one else gets the epithet of a complete bigot as Aurangzeb does, even though, apart from Akbar, almost all of them were involved in acts of bigotry. Aurangzeb was the worst, by far.

Last edited:
I was thinking what would the language of communication in this multi ethnic darbaar lol

Btw there were large numbers of Muslim rajputs in mughal imperial Army

Until the rise of Ahmed Shah Abdali, the entire region from Tus in the West to Amu Darya in the East was called Khorasan and considered part of Iran. This included all of the present day Afghanistan including the parts of southern parts of Turkmenistan such as city of Merv. Vast lands of Central Asia east of Amu Darya referred to as Turan.

Traditionally, people West of Amu Darya were considered cultured and the Turanis of the East as uncouth and unruly. Just as Scots were considered less civilized by the English or Pathans & Baluchis (people from west of Indus) were considered less civilised by the Indian mainland population.

Babur as well as the core supporters from his native city Andijan (currently in Uzbekistan) were Turani, but he ruled over Kabul for many years before his capture of India. Kabul, Ghazni & Herat have always been mainly Farsi speaking cities. It is therefore logical that invading army under Babur had considerable number of Farsi speakers referred to as Iranis.

Humayun’s re-conquest of India was also thru Iranian help. Since mansabs were a reward by the King for the outstanding military service; it is not surprising that there so many Farsi speaking mansabdars.

Military contingent from the Safavis undoubtedly consisted of the Shia, but core of the Humayun’s army consisted of soldiers from Kabul, Ghazni, Herat etc. these were Farsivan but majority was Sunni. In the present day Afghanistan Shia population is no more than 20%. I would therefore assume that ratio of Shia among the Farsi speaking mansabdars was about the same.

One must remember that Mughal emperors before Aurangzeb were mostly liberal Sunni Muslims and quite secular in their outlook. Noor Jehan and Mumtaz Mahal (mother of Aurangzeb) were Shia and mother of Jehangir (Jodah Bai) as well as mother of Shahjehan (Princess Manmati alias Tajbibi Bilqis Makani were Hindu. One finds Rajput princes in the army of Aurangzeb fighting Hindu Marathas; it is therefore understandable that there would be Shia mansabdars loyal to Aurangzeb despite his obvious partiality to Sunni Islam.

Kabul was under rule of Timurids/Mughals since Amir Timur conquered it. For Mughals, Kabul and rest of Afghanistan was not a new place, it was like their second home. Herat became capital of Timurid empire under Shah Rukh and Balkh was abode of Turko-Mongols.

The Mughal army of Babur mostly consisted of Mughals and other groups of Turanis ......The next visible ethnic group was Afghan/Pashtun, who were recruited from vicinity of Kabul.

Persians were mostly noted for their administration skills, they never dominated the military of Mughals. During and after Akbar times, the Mughal army became very diverse. Rajputs were inducted and they outnumbered any other ethnic group. Afghans were third factor in nobility and army.

Whatever was the policy of the Emperors, their nobility was divided along Turani and Irani factions, for sectarian reasons beside racial. The Irani vs Turani rivalry in Mughal courts is well known in history and it even continued in 18th century when Mughal empire was at its knees.

Irani / Turani rivalry is well-known. The above post however does not clarify my point:

AAA. First post that started this thread assumes that majority of the Muslim nobility during the Aurangzeb rule were Irani. In my view the majority were Farsi speaking but not necessarily ethnic Irani

BBB. It is incorrect to assume all the Farsi speaking mansabdars (considered to be Irani) among the Mughal Army were Shia. My view is that percentage of the Shia among the nobility was about 20%, the same as that of the Muslim population.

Back
Top Bottom