What's new

Eritrea’s Struggle for Independence

Thanks for the link !
interesting read...are you from Eritrea???

Half Japanese and Half Eritrean. @Saho and @Belew_Kelew are full native Eritreans however.
at least when it comes to religious tolerance you guys have worked things out there with a secular constitution :tup:
going through the wiki page the growth rate is also impressive
but there seems to be hostility with the U.S
any chance of opening upto the U.S???

Half Japanese and Half Eritrean. @Saho and @Belew_Kelew are full native Eritreans however.

What a mixture! I find it hard/challenging enough to have ancestral ties to the Arab world and Europe but your case is exceptional in comparison.

Tell me the story between the split of Ethiopia and Eritrea will you? Also I recently discovered that Arabic is a official language in Eritrea. Is this a remain of Arabic being the language of Islam, trade, and knowledge in the Islamic world? The proximity to Southern Arabia (Yemen) or the fact that there is a 200.000 big or so Arab population (Rashaida)?

How does Ethiopia and Eritrea differ from each other than Eritreans almost exclusively speaking Southern Semitic languages while Ethiopia still having a lot of Cushitic speaking peoples?

I also noticed that there is a sort of animosity between Ethiopians and Eritreans on the internet. How accurate is this in real life?

And where does Somalia come into the picture in all of this? I know that Ethiopia and Somalia have very bad ties and that they even have gone to war witch each other.

I would appreciate some answers here if you got the time. Thanks.

@Aegis DDG

Last edited:
What a mixture! I find it hard/challenging enough to have ancestral ties to the Arab world and Europe but your case is exceptional in comparison.

Tell me the story between the split of Ethiopia and Eritrea will you? Also I recently discovered that Arabic is a official language in Eritrea. Is this a remain of Arabic being the language of Islam, trade, and knowledge in the Islamic world? The proximity to Southern Arabia (Yemen) or the fact that there is a 200.000 big or so Arab population (Rashaida)?

How does Ethiopia and Eritrea differ from each other than Eritreans almost exclusively speaking Southern Semitic languages while Ethiopia still having a lot of Cushitic speaking peoples?

I also noticed that there is a sort of animosity between Ethiopians and Eritreans on the internet. How accurate is this in real life?

And where does Somalia come into the picture in all of this? I know that Ethiopia and Somalia have very bad ties and that they even have gone to war witch each other.

I would appreciate some answers here if you got the time. Thanks.

@Aegis DDG

Eritreans are more used to Arab culture than the Amharic speaking Ethiopia because of geography and trade. Also Eritreans main language (Triginia/Tigre) is closer to old Ge'ez than Amharic (lots of Cushitic loan worlds that N.Ethiopians and Eritreans lack) hence it close old South Arabic. This is because Tigrigna/Tigray is far older than Amharaic and is more Semitic in origin (most modern loan words are Arabic or Turkish). So it's easier to learn Arabic if your eritrean. When Eritrea broke away from Ethiopia, there was relative peace between the two nations, this is because Ethiopian Anti-Dreg/Communist resistance movement (the TPLF) and the Eritrean liberation/independence movement were allied against the communist dictator Mingistu and the Dictator in 1991 (during Berlin wall incident) fled to Zimbabwe and the TPLF came to power (filling the vaccum in Addis Ababa) and their allies in Eritrea became the ruling party in the new nation in 1993. The Eritrean port of Asseb was allowed for Ethiopian use (as the nation became landlocked after 1993) as long as they respected Eritrean's sovereignty and territory. But in 1998, the region of Badme became the focus of border dispute and Ethiopian troops move in to secure it but this resulted in an bloody Iran-Iraq style war (trenches, deserts, massive tank battles etc) in which the Ethiopian army suffered an massive tactical defeat (over 180,000 killed in matter on months) but Eritrea lost stagetically as the Algeirs convention stated that Badme is Ethiopia territory. This resulted in an mini cold war stance in which the ruling party in Eritrea uses to legitimize it's rule and Sawa (google it) conscription.The Asseb port stop importing things into ethiopia which created even more tension. Because the US supported the Ethiopians (due to historical policies and red sea geo-politics), Isias (the President) started to support Al-Shabab in Somalia secretly but got busted in 2009 which resulted in UN sanctions and diplomatic isolation. Because of the Badme issue, Eritrean leadership decided to stop the peaceful reforms the 90s to make the nation more militarized. This resulted in an massive conscription program in which even women aged 18-30 has to serve in the army. The unofficial number of Eritrean army personnel is actually estimated to be 600,000 rather the modest official statement of 250,000. Because of this, thousands of young Eritreans are fleeing to prevent being sent to the Sawa Camp and migrate to places like Europe but some get trafficked and have their organs harvested in the Sinai border crossings.

Eritreans are more used to Arab culture than the Amharic speaking Ethiopia because of geography and trade. Also Eritreans main language (Triginia/Tigre) is closer to old Ge'ez than Amharic (lots of Cushitic loan worlds that N.Ethiopians and Eritreans lack) hence it close old South Arabic. This is because Tigrigna/Tigray is far older than Amharaic and is more Semitic in origin (most modern loan words are Arabic or Turkish). So it's easier to learn Arabic if your eritrean. When Eritrea broke away from Ethiopia, there was relative peace between the two nations, this is because Ethiopian Anti-Dreg/Communist resistance movement (the TPLF) and the Eritrean liberation/independence movement were allied against the communist dictator Mingistu and the Dictator in 1991 (during Berlin wall incident) fled to Zimbabwe and the TPLF came to power (filling the vaccum in Addis Ababa) and their allies in Eritrea became the ruling party in the new nation in 1993. The Eritrean port of Asseb was allowed for Ethiopian use (as the nation became landlocked after 1993) as long as they respected Eritrean's sovereignty and territory. But in 1998, the region of Badme became the focus of border dispute and Ethiopian troops move in to secure it but this resulted in an bloody Iran-Iraq style war (trenches, deserts, massive tank battles etc) in which the Ethiopian army suffered an massive tactical defeat (over 180,000 killed in matter on months) but Eritrea lost stagetically as the Algeirs convention stated that Badme is Ethiopia territory. This resulted in an mini cold war stance in which the ruling party in Eritrea uses to legitimize it's rule and Sawa (google it) conscription.The Asseb port stop importing things into ethiopia which created even more tension. Because the US supported the Ethiopians (due to historical policies and red sea geo-politics), Isias (the President) started to support Al-Shabab in Somalia secretly but got busted in 2009 which resulted in UN sanctions and diplomatic isolation. Because of the Badme issue, Eritrean leadership decided to stop the peaceful reforms the 90s to make the nation more militarized. This resulted in an massive conscription program in which even women aged 18-30 has to serve in the army. The unofficial number of Eritrean army personnel is actually estimated to be 600,000 rather the modest official statement of 250,000. Because of this, thousands of young Eritreans are fleeing to prevent being sent to the Sawa Camp and migrate to places like Europe but some get trafficked and have their organs harvested in the Sinai border crossings.

Thank you a lot brother for the very detailed post. I will have to study all of what you have mentioned. Sounds very interesting.

Can you tell me a bit about the situation of the Rashaida in Eritrea?

May I add that the user @ebray is from Ethiopia and a Amhara. A very friendly person that helped me learn about Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa.

@Belew_Kelew is from Eritrea as well and knowledgeable about the history of the Horn of Africa as well.

I was not aware of @Saho being from Eritrea.

Quite interesting to see so many Eritreans on a Pakistani forum albeit a big international forum today. I hope to see you guys being more active on this section in regards to your home countries.

Thank you a lot brother for the very detailed post. I will have to study all of what you have mentioned. Sounds very interesting.

Can you tell me a bit about the situation of the Rashaida in Eritrea?

May I add that the user @ebray is from Ethiopia and a Amhara. A very friendly person that helped me learn about Ethiopia and the Horn of Africa.

@Belew_Kelew is from Eritrea as well and knowledgeable about the history of the Horn of Africa as well.

I was not aware of @Saho being from Eritrea.

Quite interesting to see so many Eritreans on a Pakistani forum albeit a big international forum today. I hope to see you guys being more active on this section in regards to your home countries.

I believe most Rashaida live in Port Sudan region (numbering 200,000) and only 100,000 live in Eritrea. They are an nomadic and endogamous people who move places all the time. BTW they have abnormally light hair compared Middle eastern Arabs (usually see dirty blonde or brown haired Rashaida) which is strange considering that they live in Africa :D.

I believe most Rashaida live in Port Sudan region (numbering 200,000) and only 100,000 live in Eritrea. They are an nomadic and endogamous people who move places all the time. BTW they have abnormally light hair compared Middle eastern Arabs (usually see dirty blonde or brown haired Rashaida) which is strange considering that they live in Africa :D.

Thanks for the correction in terms of numbers. That's interesting because there are hardly any truly nomadic peoples in the Arab world/ME anymore outside of minorities and small populations.

That's strange because from the googling that I have done they appear to be darker than other ME Arabs. Probably has something to do with them intermarrying with locals partially and living in proximity to the Beja peoples. Although I have seen some very interesting looks among them. Indeed also light/blonde hair but that is not extremely rare in the Arab world. Even quite a few Bedouins have that. Or at least when younger I have noticed.

Some photos of how varied they can look like;

Rashaida Tribe Kids In A Coranic School, Kassala, Sudan by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

Rashaida Tribe Kids In A Coranic School, Kassala, Sudan by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

Eritrea Rashaida woman in Danakil desert near Massawa by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

Those are Rashaida from Eritrea and Sudan.

Interesting bunch. I want to know more about them as well.:)

Anyway I have for a very long time wanted to visit the Horn of Africa. Ethiopia and Eritrea especially.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction in terms of numbers. That's interesting because there are hardly any truly nomadic peoples in the Arab world/ME anymore outside of minorities and small populations.

That's strange because from the googling that I have done they appear to be darker than other ME Arabs. Probably has something to do with them intermarrying with locals partially and living in proximity to the Beja peoples. Although I have seen some very interesting looks among them. Indeed also light/blonde hair but that is not extremely rare in the Arab world. Even quite a few Bedouins have that. Or at least when younger I have noticed.

Some photos of how varied they can look like;

Eritrea Rashaida woman in Danakil desert near Massawa by Eric Lafforgue, on Flickr

Those are Rashaida from Eritrea and Sudan.

Interesting bunch. I want to know more about them as well.:)

Anyway I have for a very long time wanted to visit the Horn of Africa. Ethiopia and Eritrea especially.

I think you should start with Sudan and Eritrea. lots Arabic signs and posters there so it will easier to get around.

Eritrea’s Struggle for Independence | Madote

This is too long for me to post so give links on this :D
@Aegis DDG ,
The title is misleading. Eritrea is independent but facing growing pain like every every country who recovered his sovereignty. Ethiopia is an anchor country for the US policies and the US will favor Mogadishu to Asmara. I think the best hope for Eritrea future development, as for most African countries lies with Asia.

@Aegis DDG ,
The title is misleading. Eritrea is independent but facing growing pain like every every country who recovered his sovereignty. Ethiopia is an anchor country for the US policies and the US will favor Mogadishu to Asmara. I think the best hope for Eritrea future development, as for most African countries lies with Asia.

Exactly, Eritrea is one of the few countries in this world who fought an independence war with a far more bigger ennemy and with virtually no foreign help/support and came out victorious. Ethiopia was supported by not only the U.S but even more ironically the U.S.S.R, its a miracle despite all this odd Eritrea succeeded in gaining its independence . This should be an example to other Muslim/Arab countries/groups who are claiming they are fighting for 'freedom and democracy' lol to know that if the people truly want change then they will bring about that change themselves without the need of any foreign support (yes I'm talking to the so called FSA akias jihadists and other 'rebel' groups in Libya etc who are always asking for foreign help, since they know they don't have the full backing of the people), once you invite foreign powers to intervene in any sort of 'revolution' then you are toast/done with, since it makes matter worse, as each power is after their own interest first and foremost not yours.

In this regard, I admire Eritrea very much, I also have a very good erithrean friend here in London, he was part of those who fought for the country independence (Erithrean independence movement), though he fled the country years later after they fell out with Isaias Afwerki who seem to have become a totalitarian dictator himself. :disagree::( He tells me a lot about the political history/situation of Eritrea.

Hopefully Eritrea will open up more and mend its ties with the U.S/west, since as of now its isolated, similar to Africa's north Korea). I have been to Ethiopia, Djibouti and Sudan, but not Eritrea, wanted to travel there during my stay in Djibouti but was refused entry for done reason. :( Hopefully, I will be granted permission to visit one day. Eritrean girls are quite beautiful by the way. :smitten::enjoy:

@Aegis DDG

What is the reputation of Rashaida girls in Eritrea? Is it true that they almost marry entirely within their own? Apparently not always because I see clearly Arab and local mixtures. They are obviously Arab-Afro-Arab mixed people which adds to their exotic appearance.:)

Rashaida Tribe Woman Near Massawa, Eritrea by Eric Lafforgue Photography, on Flickr

Rashaida Tribe, young woman with traditional wedding hijab, Kassala, Sudan by christophe_cerisier, on Flickr

rashaida mother - Massawa by rstecher, on Flickr

Secretive bunch of people. I can hardly fine any photos of them or especially their women.

I hope that people help them if they are struggling.

Sadly I myself have hardly any curly hair. Thick hair though which is good. Anyway I would have liked to go "Rastafari" once in a while.:lol:

Last edited:

Basically the most recent spilt was in 1991 when the E.P.L.F liberated eritrea from ethiopian occupation. according to history though this wasn't the first time. they have occupied the Eritrea 4 times and got kicked out 4 times. the second time was shortly after the sahaba migration when the ethiopian king started to harras the adulite kingdom (today southern eritrea and northern djbouti) who were allied with the middle sea kingdom and a war was fought (you might even read about it in the sahaba narrations especially when they offered to join the war but the king refused and they prayed for him) it was known as the mereb war back then and shortly after Eritrea won the war and became part of the 5 kingdoms of the beja/belew confideration with a very strong army. even for many hundred years the ethiopian king had to pay tributes and gold. The natural ancient border between Eritrea and Ethiopia has been the mereb river the most obvious border between any 2 countries in all africa.

Arabic is one of three national working language in eritrea which Tigrigna, Arabic and English. Tigrigna because it is the dominant language due to having a script writing, Arabic more for islamic connections with the muslims there and Geo-location and english for an international purpose. But Arabic is also spoken by many christians in Eritrea . Rashiada has nothing to do with why some eritreans speak arabic since they been speaking it prior to islamic arrival. It's more of trade and close proximity to the arab world and being muslim. Plus many arab non rashida have migrated to the coastal area of eritrea from Al-Harbi tribes, Al-Ettibi and many qahtani based tribes from yemen and south west KSA.

Basically to make it simple its the component, just think of it like a mixture. Eritrea and Ethiopia has been a cushtic land. Eritrea has been home to the Beja (who were very close to the ancient egyptians) and the afars who inhabited the southern coast of Eritrea in ancient times those two were known as Punt (Afars) and Medjay (Beja) and together they were known as Ta-Seti. Ethiopia was inhabited by the Agew, oromo and other omotic tribes. Now comes the semitic influence Eritreans semitic influence comes from the Himyarites in northern yemen and alot of tribes in Eritrea directly trace their origin from there, Ethiopian semitic influence is from sabean south yemeni. That is why for 2000 years Eritrean spoke Geez since it was the language of the Himyarites and Ethiopians spoke sabeans the language of the south yemeni's. but in the 5th century AD the sabean north ethiopians decided to adopt The geez instead of sabean.for a childish reason. Ethiopia still have more population so the cushtic influence is more visible.

It depends but in recent years both hardly mingle or associate in real life since the border war of 1998-2000, especially eritreans as that war was a personal one not your usual greed and trying to be the big spoon as the norm. the campaign used for the border war and the burning of mosques and churches and destroying eritrean land left many eritreans wondering what they always suspected there is a hidden hate for eritreans that is buried, plus you will not find many families who lost a family member to the ethiopians. saying that though this is more with Eritreans VS the northern ethiopians, eritreans and other ethiopians like the cushtic population gets along very well like the somali ethiopians and the oromo and the other smaller tribes.

Somali and Eritreans get along very very well, we always have since ancient times. during the liberation war the somali were one of the few who were helping Eritrea.

@Aegis DDG ,

Not easy when you have sanctions as well. Ethiopia has always been american sweet heart in the horn it's nothing new this is the reason they gave eritrea to ethiopia half a century ago. There is a reason Eritrea is kept on sanctions and restricted. Eritrea is 6 million people, the mentality of eritreans are scary for some of the neighbouring countries. a prosperous Eritrea with even 40-50 million people is very dangerous in a geo-political stand.

Back
Top Bottom