What's new

Erdogan offers citizenship to Syrian and Iraqi refugees

Valar Dohaeris

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
President Erdogan says some refugees who pass screenings will be granted nationality to "make use" of their skills.

5f7e98e4801947f3a6c80bea96dc0529_18.jpg

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has announced that some Syrian and Iraqi refugees who pass a screening process will be granted Turkish citizenship.

In a speech broadcast on television on Friday, Erdogan said that security checks would be carried out to determine who among the millions who fled war in their home countries were eligible for citizenship.

"Our interior ministry is carrying out work, and under this work, some of them will be granted our nationality after all the necessary checks" have been carried out," he said.

"There are highly qualified people among them, there are engineers, lawyers, doctors. Let's make use" of that talent ... Instead of letting them work illegally here and there, let's give them the chance to work as citizens like the children of this nation."

Erdogan added that the interior ministry "is ready to implement the measure at any time". But he gave no further details, notably about how many would gain Turkish nationality.

According to Turkish government figures, the country is hosting more than three million Syrians and Iraqis who have fled conflict.

The Turkish leader outlined a naturalisation plan last summer but the idea met with angry protests and xenophobic comments on social media.

The country's political opposition saw the plan as a scheme to widen Erdogan's electoral basis at a time when he is pushing for constitutional reform to strengthen his powers.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...ip-syrian-iraqi-refugees-170106195134961.html

Erdogan added that the interior ministry "is ready to implement the measure at any time". But he gave no further details, notably about how many would gain Turkish nationality.

Just give them all citizenship and be done with it already, we all knew this was coming from the start. And there's clearly nothing we can do about it.

that's actually a loss for iraq and syria considering this is for uni graduates with skills, not sure why you complain about gaining human resources that are useful, but good for those people who seek that path although most of those refugees in Turkey are trying to get to US/EU.

If they want to live in Turkey, then I am all for it. If not, they should be sent back to their countries. Europe does not want them, lets be honest.

If they want to live in Turkey, then I am all for it. If not, they should be sent back to their countries. Europe does not want them, lets be honest.

The highly educated refugees don't cause problems and don't end up on welfare, i know this from personal (family) experience and many others that came to Europe. As for what Europe wants and not wants, don't care much. They took part in the iraq war and attempt to topple the Syrian gov, that's not mentioning Libya.

The highly educated refugees don't cause problems and don't end up on welfare, i know this from personal (family) experience and many others that came to Europe.

You said it yourself, it's not very good for Syria and Iraq to be losing their highly educated population.
Though I am sure they will all return once their countries get better.

As for what Europe wants and not wants, don't care much. They took part in the iraq war and attempt to topple the Syrian gov, that's not mentioning Libya.

I mean, we cannot actually send them to Europe, they either have to want to stay in Turkey, or move back(to Syria/Iraq). Obviously if Europe allowed us to send them there, then we'd happily help as much as we can.

Proper measure, there is no reason folks need to die in Sea or treated in most negative manner in Europe
They know what they risk, by going by the sea route. No one is forcing them to do it. They are safe in Turkey.

More like their votes.
Do you think Turkey has capacity to accommodate these refugees or Erdo is trying to settle them in Kurds concentration area to neutralize them ?...beside building vote bank.

Last edited:
Do you think Turkey has capacity to accommodate these refugees or Erdo is trying to settle them in Kurds concentration area to neutralize them ?...beside building vote bank.

Erdoğan would never do that because he loves his Kurdish brothers but hates Turks so instead he settles them in Hatay, Gaziantep, Kilis, Kahramanmaraş...These cities are almost completely Turkish or were because now each of them has 300k Arabs oh and there are more Syrians living in Kilis town than local people.

Erdoğan need votes so there you go, the skilled Syrians & Iraqis are already in Europe they don't stay here all we have is beggars, thieves etc etc...

Erdoğan would never do that because he loves his Kurdish brothers but hates Turks so instead he settles them in Hatay, Gaziantep, Kilis, Kahramanmaraş...These cities are almost completely Turkish or were because now each of them has 300k Arabs oh and there are more Syrians living in Kilis town than local people.

Erdoğan need votes so there you go, the skilled Syrians & Iraqis are already in Europe they don't stay here all we have is beggars, thieves etc etc...

Does Hatay and Gaziantep not have large indigenous Turkish Arab communities, especially Hatay? I know two Turkish Arabs from Sanliurfa and Adana. Arabs have a very long history in Southeastern Anatolia along with other Semitic-speaking peoples such as Assyrians etc.

Also how many naturalizations are we talking about here? 3 million in total? Somehow I doubt this happening.

''Cough'' ''Cough'' reminds me of when Pakistani establishment allowed Afghan refugees to settle in Karachi to change the demographics to counter a political party belonging to a certain ethnicity. Looks like Erdogan has gained some loyal voters in the future.

Does Hatay and Gaziantep not have large indigenous Turkish Arab communities, especially Hatay? I know two Turkish Arabs from Sanliurfa and Adana. Arabs have a very long history in Southeastern Anatolia along with other Semitic-speaking peoples such as Assyrians etc.

Also how many naturalizations are we talking about here? 3 million in total? Somehow I doubt this happening.
Hatay has large Arab population. Most of them are Nusayri Arabs just like Arabs of Latakia or Tartus. They're voting for CHP and such. Adana only have a handful of Arab towns. Gaziantep and Kilis are typical Turkmen place. Indigenous Arab population is negligible.
Şanlıurfa has lots of Arabs. More than half of the Şanlıurfa are Arabs. Their Arab population are nearly one million and growing rapidly. They're entirely Sunni and they're entirely voting for Erdoğan.

Turkey should make Arabic a second official language to accommodate the Syrian immigrants, in my opinion. :)

Once upon a time we had leader name Zia ul Haq and we still paying the price.

''Cough'' ''Cough'' reminds me of when Pakistani establishment allowed Afghan refugees to settle in Karachi to change the demographics to counter a political party belonging to a certain ethnicity. Looks like Erdogan has gained some loyal voters in the future.
That's why say , it remind me Zia ul Haq. We can see the Turkish future , god save them.

Turkey should make Arabic a second official language to accommodate the Syrian immigrants, in my opinion.
Yeah sure...that will be his last day in the office.:)

Back
Top Bottom