What's new

Engine flight data availability of US engines.

rockstarIN

Reaction score
Country
India

So from the Malaysia Airlines episode, we came to know (or it is already known) that the air craft engine itself can send data to the operators/manufacturers that how much time it was on air.

The American made fighters which uses US engines also might sending such data to their respective engine manufacturers about its flight time. It means USA can access its numerous teen series fighter jet's data by way of flight time, so they can get an idea of any air force's pilot training hour approximately. If the engine can send data about the flight hour, can't it send the location details too..

What is your opinion?

@Oscar @gambit@sandy_3126

Last edited:

So from the Malaysia Airlines episode, we came to know (or it is already known) that the air craft engine itself can send data to the operators/manufacturers that how much time it was on air.

The American made fighters which uses US engines also might sending such data to their respective engine manufacturers about its flight time. It means USA can access its numerous teen series fighter jet's data by way of flight time, so they can get an idea of any air force's pilot training hour approximately. If the engine can send data about the flight hour, can't it send the location details too..

What is your opinion?

@Oscar @gambit
Simply put -- No.

The 777's data transmission is a recent engineering effort to catch signs of malfunctions. Not malfunctions, but signs of them. ACARS is a service that an airline have to pay for it. No money, no data collection and analyses. For the military, such open transmissions could be tracked by an adversary, so what is the point ?

Simply put -- No.

The 777's data transmission is a recent engineering effort to catch signs of malfunctions. Not malfunctions, but signs of them. ACARS is a service that an airline have to pay for it. No money, no data collection and analyses. For the military, such open transmissions could be tracked by an adversary, so what is the point ?

A military version of this secretly being run cannot be ruled out either and probably relaying a lot more than the civilian version.

Simply put -- No.

Its being done and transmission is restricted depending on EMCON mode.

I don't think OP mentioned the F-16.
Yes, I did mean fighter jet engines.

if it can be done with civilian engines, then why can't with military planes.

Even GPS was used only for military purpose before allowing for civilian purpose.

I'm not saying USA is doing it. But technically it can be done.

Simply put -- No.

Sir,

Can't it be a secret transmission through satellites? If the enemies can track/lam such signals, how USA is using its unmanned reco missions through satellite communications?

What is the reason of giving an *off* type option on transponders of commercial jetliners?

BTW this ill fated MH370 is being fuelled just before flying to meet its destiny:
mh.png

Disappeared Malaysia Airlines flight path altered by plane’s computer – report
​Disappeared Malaysia Airlines flight path altered by plane’s computer – report — RT News

What is the reason of giving an *off* type option on transponders of commercial jetliners?

Everything on an airplane can be turned off...

Reason being that you need to have the ability to limit any potential damage. If there is a problem with let's say a lighting system and it is short circuiting, the pilot can turn the whole thing off to prevent a fire or smoke etc.

This is an image of a circuit breaker panel.
images

So damage control is one reason.

Another is to prevent ground clutter when on the ground...

Everything on an airplane can be turned off...

Reason being that you need to have the ability to limit any potential damage. If there is a problem with let's say a lighting system and it is short circuiting, the pilot can turn the whole thing off to prevent a fire or smoke etc.

This is an image of a circuit breaker panel.
images

So damage control is one reason.

Another is to prevent ground clutter when on the ground...

Oh my God!!!

Black box (Orange colour) and cockpit voice recorder can NOT be turned off ever...

Yes, I did mean fighter jet engines.

if it can be done with civilian engines, then why can't with military planes.

Even GPS was used only for military purpose before allowing for civilian purpose.

I'm not saying USA is doing it. But technically it can be done.

Sir,

Can't it be a secret transmission through satellites? If the enemies can track/lam such signals, how USA is using its unmanned reco missions through satellite communications?
There are no technical barriers to what you are asking for. Whether it SHOULD be done and how specific is a system for the fighter aircrafts is a different issue. ACARS communicates thru satellites and the current civilian configuration is not secured. We track these transmissions but we do not attempt to deceive the airliners. We want people to get to their destinations safe.

Give this a try...

Milcom Monitoring Post

Not sure if I want my fighters to be on that list.

Back
Top Bottom