What's new

Energy: Beijing to get solar thermal power, why not Pakistan?

Why can't.. at present every country is being focused on solar energy...
So why not Pakistan.

Once the prices for megawatt based solarpanels comes down there will be huge demand for solar energy.

some of you guyz are funny or idiots :flame:
did you read the first news?

China will begin constructing Asia's first 1.5-megawatt solar thermal power station in suburban Beijing next month.

Thats 1.5 megawatt of solar thermal power station only. We need big plants boys we need something really big. 1.5mw is a nothing considering our energy demands and supply. We need couple of 1000mw plants or even larger plants to fullfill our needs. Leave solar away for now............

Zaki, I guess you should write one final, definitive and comprehensive piece for most of the "solar is cheap" crowd. I will chip in. I'm sick off the illiteracy that spews every week on the forum regarding the economics of solar power. I have worked on projects of Solar PV, Solar Thermal and some experimental as well and hence know the technicalities to a certain extent.

The illiteracy that is spewed time and again pisses me off. You and I have written many posts on this. If you have time, please compile a grand post on this issue.

Some such plants are operating in the US, Spain, and Australia, at least. I would think that the desert areas of Baluchistan would be ideal for such plants. They need some water for the high temperature steam generation, and then some for cooling the "used" water back down to a lower temperature for thermal efficiency of the turbines. But, I think, most existing plants have been built in desert areas, like the Mojave Desert in the US. So the water requirements must not be that severe. I question locating a plant near an urban area like Beijing though because particulate air pollution from existing carbon energy sources can radically reduce the energy of the incident sunlight.

Oil is used instead of water when it comes to solar thermal as the primary heated fuel. It is far more effective, especially combined with the double-glass rod tubes. The turbines work on steam though, although heat storage is being tested in molten NaCl by the Italians who are leading the research in all branches of solar thermal.

Energy: Beijing to get solar thermal power

I think this solution is perfect for Pakistan, where there is lots of sunlight and space but not much money. This type of power station seems to be cheaper than solar cells, far simpler to build than nuclear power stations, obviously far more reliable than wind power and pollution free.

EDIT: A video showing a solar power station: YouTube - Solar Power

Friend,

Some time i pity these Chinese the communist always gives hype to small news and try to spared false propaganda.

China will begin constructing Asia's first 1.5-megawatt solar thermal power station

Now they are making big news of a solar plant whose construction has to begin and on top of that they try to make fool people by saying that its first in Asia. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Really???????

Now, i tell you the truth, Chinese propaganda busted

The first Solar power plant in Asia is not to constructed it is already constructed and it is supplying power to people. :cheers:

And its not small like chinese are building 1.5 MW its 2 MW solar plant in Jamuria, West Bengal, India inaugurated last year in September 2009. :bunny:

India connects first solar power plant | Cleantech Group

And its not only that we have many solar power plants in India.

India's first commercial solar power plant

Topsun Plans 5-MW PV Plant in Gujarat | Renewable Energy World

Birla Power Arm Eyes JV With US Firm In Solar Energy | VCCircle

State’s first solar power plant in Kolar

So, people don't go by chinese propaganda, India is building 1000 MW of solar pants and we have launched national solar mission, which aims to generate 20000 MW of solar power by 2022.

@ Justin

please check the dates before you start writing long lectures. This news was posted in February 2009 and the plants you are mentioning are after September 2009. Most of the links that you shared are from year 2010

@ your question

In 2007 China produced 1700 MW of solar panels, nearly half of the world production of 3800 MW, although 99% was exported. China has installed about 80 MW of photovoltaics. Solar water heating is used extensively, though.

Source: http://www.earth-policy.org/index.php?/indicators/C47/

and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_power_in_China

Zaki, I guess you should write one final, definitive and comprehensive piece for most of the "solar is cheap" crowd. I will chip in. I'm sick off the illiteracy that spews every week on the forum regarding the economics of solar power. I have worked on projects of Solar PV, Solar Thermal and some experimental as well and hence know the technicalities to a certain extent.

The illiteracy that is spewed time and again pisses me off. You and I have written many posts on this. If you have time, please compile a grand post on this issue.

yaar agreed we both have repeatedly raised our voices over this issue. But what can we really do when every new-comer join this forum and come up with his solar powered electricity dreamland. I will try to write something later, if i am successful i will post otherwise i will send you some really useful data/information regarding this and you will do me a favour i know :cheers:

Thanks for your advice, i will give it a try

@ Justin

please check the dates before you start writing long lectures. This news was posted in February 2009 and the plants you are mentioning are after September 2009. Most of the links that you shared are from year 2010

@ your question

Source: Eco-Economy Indicators - Solar Power | EPI

Friend,

I don't expect it from you :hitwall:

Designed by the China Academy of Sciences, the station is expected to cost 100 million yuan and is likely to power at least 30,000 homes when it starts operating in 2010, Wang Zhifeng, chief designer of the plant told China Daily in an exclusive interview.
Energy: Beijing to get solar thermal power

Just click the link provided by thread starter or above link to reconfirm the dates.

1. Just read the highlighted part of China Daily's news, It clearly says that it will starts operating in 2010, that means India wins as our plant was operational by September 2009.

2. According to China Daily's news of "Feb" chinese will start construction of solar plant next month i.e. March 2009 and it will operational by 2010.

This shows that the plant will take at least 9 months to be completed.

If we go by this logic India's solar plant was operational in "Sept. 2009" that means if we divide 9 months India's plant was also first to be start construct in Asia.

3. This proves I'm right 100% that India is fisrt in Asia in starting the construction also start operating first solar plant in whole of Asia. :yahoo::yahoo:

This proves chinese propaganda wrong.

Zaki, plz read before posting. :bunny:

Zaki, plz read before posting. :bunny:

ok i read the news again :lol: and realized i was right :lol:

The plant that you mentioned was inaugurated in September 2009........ was it solar thermal? nowhere it says that it was solar thermal

Here beijing is talking about Solar thermal power plant.

If we go all kind of solar plants then why not go for Taiwan's solar plant that was inaugurated way before both india and china's plants

Taiwan's first HCPV solar power system inaugurated - The China Post

and as per wiki, china was generating 100mw of electricity on solar power plants back in 2008. Here we are talking about Solar thermal power plants only and i think the news mentioned in first post is covering solar powered thermal plants only.

If we go all kind of solar plants then why not go for Taiwan's solar plant that was inaugurated way before both india and china's plants

Taiwan's first HCPV solar power system inaugurated - The China Post

Excerpts from the Taiwan link you have posted.

TAIPEI, Taiwan -- A ceremony was held Saturday in southern Taiwan to inaugurate the country's first commercial-grade high concentration photovoltaic (HCPV) solar power system, which will have a total installed capacity of one megawatt once the construction project is completed.

Do you get it from highlighted part or not?????

Yaar, Taiwan's plant was not fully operational before Indian plant. :bunny:

Hence I'm right that India was first in Asia not China. Also, ours was 2 MW and Taiwanese or chinese are small plants of 1MW & 1.5 MW respectively. :victory:

Excerpts from the Taiwan link you have posted.

Do you get it from highlighted part or not?????

Yaar, Taiwan's plant was not fully operational before Indian plant. :bunny:

Hence I'm right that India was first in Asia not China. Also, ours was 2 MW and Taiwanese or chinese are small plants of 1MW & 1.5 MW respectively. :victory:
again you did not read it properly. The plant was already inaugurated with 100 kilowatts of production, 1mw is its target in future

and what are you trying to prove here? if you are to compare the size of the plants then you must also read about the under construction world's biggest 2000 mw of solar power plant in china that is many times bigger than both existing and under construction power plants in the world.

Lets stop comparing Sir,

this is Pakistan Economy section anyway

This doesn't use solar cells/photovoltaic cells or solar panels at all. Read the article and you will see.

It is basically a system of mirrors that focus lots of sunlight onto a small spot at the top of a tower, the temperature of this spot is around 400 degrees Celsius. It heats water to steam which is sent to turbines.

No expensive solar cells, no millions of gallons of water. You just keep the mirrors clean (easy) and keep them in the right position to focus the light as the sun moves (done by computers).

Obviously during the night it won't work, but then again demand for electricity at night is far lower.

correction not 400 celcius but provided proper sunlight (like u get in june in Pkistan) the temprature can reach 3500 celcius ... u can check it on wikipedia on 'concentrated solar power'

Friend,

Some time i pity these Chinese the communist always gives hype to small news and try to spared false propaganda.

Now they are making big news of a solar plant whose construction has to begin and on top of that they try to make fool people by saying that its first in Asia. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Really???????

Now, i tell you the truth, Chinese propaganda busted

The first Solar power plant in Asia is not to constructed it is already constructed and it is supplying power to people. :cheers:

And its not small like chinese are building 1.5 MW its 2 MW solar plant in Jamuria, West Bengal, India inaugurated last year in September 2009. :bunny:

India connects first solar power plant | Cleantech Group

And its not only that we have many solar power plants in India.

India's first commercial solar power plant

Topsun Plans 5-MW PV Plant in Gujarat | Renewable Energy World

Birla Power Arm Eyes JV With US Firm In Solar Energy | VCCircle

State’s first solar power plant in Kolar

So, people don't go by chinese propaganda, India is building 1000 MW of solar pants and we have launched national solar mission, which aims to generate 20000 MW of solar power by 2022.

Are you insane or idi*t?

The news said it is the first solar thermal energy plant.

Back
Top Bottom