What's new

Emerging nations lead increasing output in research and publishing workflow

Perceptron

BANNED
Reaction score
Emerging nations lead increasing output in research and publishing workflow
For years, Western European nations and North America were at the center of the scholarly publishing community. Globally submissions continue to rise, but countries such as China and India are increasing their research output relative to those established countries, showing year-on-year increases in proportion of manuscripts submitted to academic journals.

Examining the trends of submissions and evaluating acceptance and publication data reveals interesting discrepancies between traditional leaders and emerging players in scholarly publishing and raises some significant questions. In this increasingly global research community:
• How can scholarly publishers manage an ever-increasing number of submissions from such diverse sources?
• What factors are influencing discrepancies in regional acceptance rates? Is it a case of unintentional bias or other reasons? Can publishers address this and help content move from submission to publication without placing an undue strain on current processes?
• How can new opportunities be capitalized upon to expand the global reach of published scholarship to promote quality papers from emerging research centers?
These questions are not new to the publishing community; they have felt the increased strain of this rise in submissions first hand. However, new data can help validate pain points previously hard to define and suggest solutions to gain the most benefit from managing and publishing truly global content.

ABOUT THE DATA
Data reported in this paper are provided by Thomson Reuters ScholarOne Manuscripts™.* ScholarOne’s customer base is reflective of the global scholarly publishing community, representing journals of all sizes and scopes, from high Impact Factor international titles to select niche, society, or regional journals. The aggregate dataset for analysis includes submissions, acceptances, rejections, and time-to-decision for 4,200 journals published by over 365 societies, publishers, and university presses. This encompasses over 3 million submissions during the analysis period 2005–2010. The final year of analysis, 2010, was chosen since this is the most recent year where the majority of final decisions will have been made at the time of writing. All trends indicated persist into 2011 data.
These publications—international journals as well as niche and regional scholarly publications—were collectively responsible for 1 million manuscript submissions in 2010 (1.2 million in 2011). In 2005 the total number of submissions made using ScholarOne Manuscripts was 317,325.

The data have not been normalized to reflect the growing number of sites using ScholarOne Manuscripts. The trend from clients has been initially to debut larger sites, usually in Science, Technical and Medical (STM) subjects, and then move to smaller titles, often in non-STM fields (see Figure 1). This is reflected in the average number of submissions per ScholarOne Manuscripts site: in 2005 this was 453, while in 2010 it was 280. As a result, emphasis should be placed on the relative proportions of submissions from different countries rather than the total number of submissions, which is only a measure of the size of the analysis pool.

GLOBAL SUBMISSIONS CONTINUE TO INCREASE
The ScholarOne data on global submissions reflects what publishers may have perceived from their own data—global submissions continue a steady rise year-by-year in all regions. This is a combination of research output and the increasing number of publications using an online submission site. Anecdotally, many publishers report submissions further increasing after implementing an online submission system, perhaps because this facilitates easier submission.

SHARE OF WORLD SUBMISSIONS—IS THE TRADITIONAL AXIS OF RESEARCH CHANGING?
While submissions have increased from almost all nations, changes in each nation’s share of the world total paints a more complicated picture. Although the top 20 submitting countries remain largely the same from 2005–2010, the share of world total has significantly increased for some and decreased for others (See Table 1 and Table 2). For example, the United States remains ahead of China in total submissions processed, but the US has seen its share of the world total decrease by 3.3% while China’s total share increased by 5.1% during the period 2005–2010. As Table 1 and Table 2 illustrate, many of the top submitters in 2010 have nonetheless seen their share of world total decrease or remain static as the total number of submissions increase.

Put another way, submissions from Western Europe and the United States are increasing less rapidly than in BRIC countries. From 2005-2010, the US and Japan increased submissions by 177% and 127%, respectively. However, China and India increased by 484% and 443%, and Iran and Malaysia saw a more than 800% increase in submissions (see Figure 2). Some contribution should be assumed by the increasing use of online submission systems, especially outside Western Europe and North America.

China's proportion of submissions increased 5.1 per cent and India, whose share rose 2.0 per cent. Iran's share rose 1.4 per cent.

But US submissions in 2012 - 230,826 papers - still dwarfed those from everywhere else other than China, which had 113,453. The UK was third with about 63,500, then India with 49,500 and Japan with 43,600.

Read More from the URL given or in case it does not work, read from Global Publishing: Changes in submission trends and the impact on scholarly publishers

Quality of research articles from US is way ahead.....

Quality of research articles from US is way ahead.....
You just beat the dead horse ; It is known that the research quality of the US, UK, Germany and France is quite ahead that India, China or even Japan. The acceptance rates will slowly increase (more like a quadratic curve) for India and China to reach to the level attained by the US.

You just beat the dead horse ; It is known that the research quality of the US, UK, Germany and France is quite ahead that India, China or even Japan. The acceptance rates will slowly increase (more like a quadratic curve) for India and China to reach to the level attained by the US.

No. China is already ahead of France.

China is ahead of France. Only behind U.S., Germany, and U.K.

The current list (see citations below) is:

U.S.
Germany
U.K.
China (which should pass Germany and U.K. in the next two years)

----------

China publishes more than 10 percent of the world's most-cited scientific research

China climbs the Nature ranks|Science-Tech|chinadaily.com.cn

"China climbs the Nature ranks
Updated: 2012-05-24 06:16
(Xinhua)

LONDON - China is on track to be the second most influential country in science publishing, said a report published by the prestigious journal Nature on Wednesday.

The Nature Publishing Index 2011 China, a supplement to Nature, calculates that papers with authors from China represent 6.6 percent of all the papers published in Nature and its affiliated journals in 2011, up from 5.3 percent in 2010.

The index also presents a new analysis of ISI Web of Knowledge data, showing that China now publishes more than 10 percent of the world's most cited scientific research.

The report said that China has increased its share of the top 1 percent of highly cited scientific articles from 1.85 percent in 2001 to 11.3 percent in 2011, ranking fourth globally now, just after the United States, Germany and Britain.

"By 2014, China could surpass Germany and the United Kingdom who currently hold second and third places," said Felix Cheung, Editor of Nature China and the index.

Meanwhile, the United States has seen its share of highly influential research drop from 64.3 percent in 2001 to 50.7 percent in 2011, according to the index.

Inside China, the top five institutions in the index are: the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS), the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), Peking University, Tsinghua University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)."

[Note: Secondary citation with a little more information: The Australian - China climbs the Nature ranks]

----------

I just noticed the more-detailed secondary citation by The Australian on "China climbs the Nature ranks" is behind a paywall. Therefore, I have reproduced the article here for those that want to read it.

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

"China climbs the Nature ranks
by: Jill Rowbotham
May 24, 2012 3:00AM

CHINA is making steady gains in the world of scholarly scientific publishing according to the latest Nature journals analysis and by 2014 may be second only to the US in influence in science publishing.

According to the Nature Publishing Index 2011 China, published today as a supplement to Nature, China published more than six per cent of scientific papers.

Papers with authors from China represented 6.6 per cent, or 225 of the 3425 papers published in the 18 Nature-branded primary research journals 2011, up from 5.3 per cent, or 152 papers in 2010. This compares to 12 papers in Nature journals in 2000.

Importantly, China now publishes more than 10 per cent of the world's most cited scientific research. It increased its share of the top one per cent of highly cited scientific articles from 1.85 per cent - 127 of 6874 articles - in 2001 to 11.3 per cent (1158 out of 10,238 articles) in 2011, and now ranks fourth globally.

"By 2014, China could surpass Germany and the UK, who currently hold second and third places,'' Nature China editor Felix Cheung said.

The US share of highly influential research dropped from 64.3 per cent - 4420 out of 6874 articles - in 2001, to 50.7 per cent (5190 out of 10,238 articles) in 2011.

The analysis noted of the 225 Chinese papers published in 2011, 48 were published in Nature Communications which launched in April 2010.

Within China, the top performer was the Chinese Academy of Sciences. It was followed by: the University of Science and Technology of China, Peking University, Tsinghua University, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Xiamen University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, University of Hong Kong, Nanjing University and BGI Shenzhen.

"People generally consider Peking and Tsinghua University as the big two in China,'' Mr Cheung said in a statement. "Although the USTC has yet to earn the same level of fame as Peking and Tsinghua University, the reality is that all three institutions are in the same league when it comes to publishing high-quality research.''

Top 10 Chinese publishing institutions, 2011
Chinese Academy of Sciences
University of Science and Technology of China
Peking University
Tsinghua University
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Xiamen University
Shanghai Jiao Tong University
University of Hong Kong
Nanjing University
BGI Shenzhen"

China is ahead of France. Only behind U.S., Germany, and U.K.

No. China is already ahead of France.

The current list is:

U.S.
Germany
U.K.
China (which should pass Germany and U.K. in the next two years)
Here comes the rote-learning Chinese ; Son, in my previous post i was talking about Quality (hint : in this context Acceptance rates, but also involves h-index, Spec. Index and so on). So read, comprehend and reply.

Here comes the rote-learning Chinese ; Son, in my previous post i was talking about Quality (hint : in this context Acceptance rates, but also involves h-index, Spec. Index and so on). So read, comprehend and reply.

I am talking about quality. The most-cited top 1% of research.

The report said that China has increased its share of the top 1 percent of highly cited scientific articles from 1.85 percent in 2001 to 11.3 percent in 2011, ranking fourth globally now, just after the United States, Germany and Britain. (From the prestigious journal NATURE)

I am talking about quality. The most-cited top 1% of research.
I am not talking about any Chinese-origin fudged-up index like Nature Publishing Index. Get me an authentic one like the Reuters one along with the sample size over a period of time and then compare.

I am not talking about any Chinese-origin fudged-up index like Nature Publishing Index. Get me an authentic one like the Reuters one along with the sample size over a period of time and then compare.

Nature was founded in the United Kingdom in 1869 and it is currently owned by Germans. It is arguably the oldest and most prestigious scientific journal. It's not Chinese, you dolt!

----------

Company information : About NPG

"Nature Publishing Group (NPG) is a publisher of high impact scientific and medical information in print and online. NPG publishes journals, online databases, and services across the life, physical, chemical and applied sciences and clinical medicine.

Focusing on the needs of scientists, Nature (founded in 1869) is the leading weekly, international scientific journal. In addition, for this audience, NPG publishes the Nature research journals and Nature Reviews journals, plus a range of prestigious academic journals including society-owned publications. Online, nature.com provides over 6 million visitors per month with access to NPG publications and online databases and services, including news and comment from Nature, NatureJobs plus access to Nature Network and Nature Education's Scitable.com. For information on NPG publications, online databases and services, visit the A-Z index or go to the catalog.

Scientific American is at the heart of NPG's newly-formed consumer media division, meeting the needs of the general public. Founded in 1845, Scientific American is the oldest continuously published magazine in the US and the leading authoritative publication for science in the general media. Together with scientificamerican.com and 16 local language editions around the world it reaches over 3 million consumers and scientists. Other titles include Scientific American Mind and Spektrum der Wissenschaft in Germany. Scientific American is available for site license access on the nature.com platform.

Throughout all its businesses NPG is dedicated to serving the scientific and medical communities and the wider scientifically interested general public. Part of Macmillan Publishers Limited, NPG is a global company with principal offices in London, New York and Tokyo, and offices in cities worldwide including Boston, Buenos Aires, Delhi, Hong Kong, Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Heidelberg, Basingstoke, Melbourne, Paris, San Francisco, Seoul and Washington DC. Read our history for a timeline of NPG and the scientific events which have helped shape the direction of the business.

NPG is a division of Macmillan Publishers Ltd, a global publishing group founded in the United Kingdom in 1843. Macmillan is itself owned by German-based, family run company Verlagsgruppe Georg von Holtzbrinck GmbH."

Nature was founded in the United Kingdom in 1869 and it is currently owned by Germans. It is arguably the oldest and most prestigious scientific journal. It's not Chinese, you dolt!
As usual the rote-learning chinese has failed to read what i wrote. I talked about the index :: Chinese-origin fudged-up index like Nature Publishing Index 2011 China.

Dear i know how research articles are made, how often people take one idea from a research paper and create many papers by tweaking a little and submit to lower impact ratio journals, these papers are created in massive scale and cross citation increases the overall citation of the paper......i see this everyday.....

As usual the rote-learning chinese has failed to read what i wrote. I talked about the index :: Chinese-origin fudged-up index like Nature Publishing Index 2011 China.

So you believe Nature can assign any citation rate it wants? You're crazy.

They conducted a study of the citation rates for the top 1% of research and reported the results. Are you having trouble understanding the simple concept?

I hate dumb people.

If, as you claim, Nature is biased then why is China ranked lower than the U.S., Germany, and U.K.?

They conducted a study of the citation rates for the top 1% of research and reported the results. Are you having trouble understanding the simple concept?

I hate dumb people.
Dude avoid using these words....BTW are you doing Research in any field....seems like it..??

Dear i know how research articles are made, how often people take one idea from a research paper and create many papers by tweaking a little and submit to lower impact ratio journals, these papers are created in massive scale and cross citation increases the overall citation of the paper......i see this everyday.....
I won't deny that. But research even on a academic env. works in a similar manner. Imagine a PhD student who works on his problem, the easier way for getting a PhD is significant incremental updates to his work and enable him to publish in Conferences 2-3 times a year. It is very unlikely that Grad students can make continuous impactful significant breakthroughs while working on the problem unless it is unexplored territory.

I won't deny that. But research even on a academic env. works in a similar manner. Imagine a PhD student who works on his problem, the easier way for getting a PhD is significant incremental updates to his work and enable him to publish in Conferences 2-3 times a year. It is very unlikely that Grad students can make continuous impactful significant breakthroughs while working on the problem unless it is unexplored territory.

Answer my question:
If, as you claim, Nature is biased then why is China ranked lower than the U.S., Germany, and U.K.?

I hate dumb people.

Send me the entire report then as it says. The classification as per an Asia-Pacific index and China index and Japan index just makes matters hazy. Better be dumb than dishonest. At least u won't be riled for not learning instead of not learning the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom