What's new

Elimination of General Zia - Assassination of Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq

I got your point. What i was trying to highlight is also very important speaking in a larger context of things, see Zia was a god-like figure, army was never in the driving seat completely after his death. Thus the reason why several governments had to be deposed of one way or another...If Zia would have been alive, establishment would remain in power for years to come. God knows what course we would have taken.
It would be interesting to note that, Zia would continue to control MQM and Nawaz Sharif for years to come, wondering what would have become of them.
I think the establishment couldn't remain in power mainly because the head of the operations had died and they could no longer oppose the public pressure. Zia remaining in power for the coming decade after his death would in my opinion lead to a similar disaster like 1971 maybe, or the terrorism mess would be far worse than we have seen.

General Zia was not the first dictator to be cut down when he crossed too many red lines due to a growing ego, when it was determined that getting rid of him would be the lesser evil. In any case, whatever the plans were after his death, proved to be relatively short-lived after the world changed after 9/11.

Back
Top Bottom