What's new

Egypt to establish military base in Eritrea

Hell NO

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
April 17, 2017 (ADDIS ABABA) – The Red Sea Afar Democratic Organization (RSADO), an Eritrean opposition group, claimed on Monday that the Red Sea nation had allegedly granted Egypt green light to build a military base within the country’s territory.

egyptian_president_abdel_fattah_al-sisi_reuters-fb6f9.jpg

Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi (Photo Reuters)
Officials from the opposition group, quoting “reliable” sources in Eritrea, claimed Asmara has allowed Cairo to acquire a military base in Nora locality at the Dahlak Island for an indefinite period of time.

The agreement, RSADO further said, comes in the wake of last week’s high-level visit of the Egyptian delegation to Eritrea.

An estimated 20,000 to 30,000 Egyptian naval forces will be deployed at the planned base, officials from the group hinted.

As it had long been anticipated and if true, Egypt will be Africa’s first and third Arab country to build a military facility in the reclusive East African nation, currently under United Nations sanctions for arming and financing Al-Shabab, a terrorist group allied with al-Qaeda.

According to previous U.N reports, Eritrea has already leased its port town of Assab to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) to establish military bases to ease their coalition battle against Houthi rebels in Yemen.

Concerned by Saudi and UAE military presence in Eritrea, Ethiopia warned the two Arab nations against supporting what it said was "Asmara’s long-standing destabilising agenda against Ethiopia".

Recently, Egyptian leaders have reportedly been engaged in diplomatic efforts for regional countries including Somalia, Somaliland and Djibouti to grant them a military and commercial base in their selected soil. However, none of Cairo’s efforts were reportedly successful, prompting the opposition group to disclose this matter.

Some Ethiopian politicians argue that Egypt’s growing interest to secure military incursion in the Horn of Africa intends to contain Ethiopia’s massive hydro-power project, which Cairo fears the multi-billion dollar dam project being built along Nile River would eventually diminish historic water shares of the North African nation.

Redda Mulgeta, a member of Ethiopia’s ruling Peoples Republican Democratic Front (EPRDF), says Cairo’s motive to have a military presence in Eritrea was clear.

"Egyptian leaders’ motive to have a military base in the soil of rival Eritrea is to sabotage the construction of Ethiopia’s mega dam project by supporting Eritrea sponsored anti-Ethiopian elements and al-Qaeda-allied Somali militant group,” Mulgeta told Sudan Tribune.

"Egypt is conspiring with Eritrea to subject Ethiopia engage in proxy war with its enemy Eritrea, local armed opposition groups and further with al-Shabaab", he added.

Meanwhile, despite the various U.N reports, Eritrea has previously dismissed revelations that it has leased lands for foreign countries.

Relations between Ethiopia and Eritrea has remained odd after 1998-2000 border war, which killed an estimated over 70,000 people.

(ST)

http://sudantribune.com/spip.php?article62221

Probably fake news
Although Egypt in my opinion needs a base there due to the effect the security of the horn of Africa has on the Suez canal also to protect the Nile.

Probably fake news
Although Egypt in my opinion needs a base there due to the effect the security of the horn of Africa has on the Suez canal also to protect the Nile.

If true, it will be very interesting. Honestly, I made this prediction on another forum that is the usual, a little anti-Egypt sentiment (unfortunately) and all I said was that it was only my opinion, that one of the Mistrals would operate in that area strictly for keeping an eye on both, commercial traffic coming through the horn and up the Red Sea to the Suez Canal and also for some type of Intel or "electric eye," so to speak, on the Ethiopian dam. It just seemed so obvious with the procurement of the 2 vessels. I also opined that the 2nd vessel would be in the Mediterranean for security purposes on the gas fields. I made it clear it was just my opinion and I could very well be completely wrong. I'm never afraid of being wrong it's how we learn and let me tell you, Hell No, I was BLASTED lol! Many of these guys (and let's just say they were North African also and leave it at that) just went nuts and claimed I was crazy that Egypt had no ability to attack Ethiopia yada yada yada loool. I jumped back in and said whoa whoa whoa, who said anything about attacking Ethiopia? lol. I said "keep an eye on the dam." Looking at this news, if true, seems I wasn't far off. :-)

Eritrea is becoming the 'military base' hub of Africa.

Iran, Sudan, UAE, Russia and now Egypt.

If true, it will be very interesting. Honestly, I made this prediction on another forum that is the usual, a little anti-Egypt sentiment (unfortunately) and all I said was that it was only my opinion, that one of the Mistrals would operate in that area strictly for keeping an eye on both, commercial traffic coming through the horn and up the Red Sea to the Suez Canal and also for some type of Intel or "electric eye," so to speak, on the Ethiopian dam. It just seemed so obvious with the procurement of the 2 vessels. I also opined that the 2nd vessel would be in the Mediterranean for security purposes on the gas fields. I made it clear it was just my opinion and I could very well be completely wrong. I'm never afraid of being wrong it's how we learn and let me tell you, Hell No, I was BLASTED lol! Many of these guys (and let's just say they were North African also and leave it at that) just went nuts and claimed I was crazy that Egypt had no ability to attack Ethiopia yada yada yada loool. I jumped back in and said whoa whoa whoa, who said anything about attacking Ethiopia? lol. I said "keep an eye on the dam." Looking at this news, if true, seems I wasn't far off. :-)
Unfortunately in every Arab forum people are guided by emotions not facts or critical thinking which made me avoid posting there.
I agree with you. it is obvious that the army is changing in many ways the introduction of the mistrals and creation of unites like the rapid deployment forces shows that the new leadership is interested in power projection outside of our boarders so military bases on foreign lands doesn't seem to me to be far fetched especially in that area.
As for the dam without that military base or/and tanker planes attacking the dam would be extremely hard to impossible but with the base in place the Egyptian air force is more than capable of gaining full air superiority over Ethiopia without loses and after that even loading transport aircrafts with explosives and just dropping them on the dam would work.
Don't think that would happen though Egypt and Ethiopia keep declaring that the dam wouldn't effect our share of the Nile but with The Sudan's and Ethiopian governments trying to make an enemy out of Egypt I wouldn't say it's impossible.
And as they say if you want peace prepare for war.

An easy source of hard currency

Iran does not have any military base in Eritrea. KSA has though. KSA is also going to built a military base in neighboring Djibouti (Arab League member state) along with the likes of China.

If somehow this rumor turns out to be inaccurate, I am sure that KSA or UAE could offer their bases in Eritrea to our brothers and sisters in neighboring Egypt if anything. Or KSA offering the base that we are going to built in neighboring Djibouti. I think that much of the Arab world in that region (Northeastern Africa and Arabia) are vary of Ethiopia and events in Horn of Africa in general although Yemen is now the priority.

Iran does not have any military base in Eritrea. KSA has though. KSA is also going to built a military base in neighboring Djibouti (Arab League member state) along with the likes of China.

You're right, as far as any information out there. I think he mentioned Iran because supposedly Israel has what they call a "listening station" lol and a couple of dock spots for subs and 1 or 2 ships. They claim that those are there to conduct their version of a cold war by spying on Iranian, naval activity which they allege is transporting weapons from Iran to Sudan and on to Gaza and southern Lebanon and even Syria. But there is no evidence or mention of any Iranian presence on Eritrea's coast. It's possible they use the Russian's docks, but those aren't an "Iranian base."

If somehow this rumor turns out to be inaccurate, I am sure that KSA or UAE could offer their bases in Eritrea to our brothers and sisters in neighboring Egypt if anything. Or KSA offering the base that we are going to built in neighboring Djibouti. I think that much of the Arab world in that region (Northeastern Africa and Arabia) are vary of Ethiopia and events in Horn of Africa in general although Yemen is now the priority.

KSA & Egypt have to maintain their relationship and even increase it. This has been a long relationship that came very handy for Egypt in 1973. :-) This is vital for both parties and the region.

The Arabs still dont get the right picture!

I'm impressed that you seem to be the only one outside of all the millions of Arabs who has figured out the "right picture!" :-)

I'm impressed that you seem to be the only one outside of all the millions of Arabs who has figured out the "right picture!" :-)[/QUOTE]
OK Enjoy having more wars !

Actually that's Djibouti, don't have much else going on over there.

The Sudan's and Ethiopian governments trying to make an enemy out of Egypt I wouldn't say it's impossible.

Don't have to worry about Sudan.

http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/egypt-sudan-vow-not-to-aid-opposition-groups-20170420

Khartoum - Egypt and Sudan said on Thursday they will not harbor or support opposition groups fighting their respective governments, as top diplomats of the two countries vowed to boost bilateral ties.

Shoukry too vowed that Cairo will work "hand in hand" to boost relations between the two countries.

"The rise in regional and international terrorist activities has increased the importance of cooperation with our Sudanese brothers to face these challenges," Showery said in a brief statement alongside Ghandour in Khartoum.

If Ethiopia wants a fight then Sudan is not going to be on their side.

OK Enjoy having more wars !

So that's what you meant. Hmmm.....notice no one here really understood what you were getting at? You know why? Because that's a broad statement and frankly, a weak way of thinking that any regional power, with significant, strategic importance such as Egypt would never impose on itself. Quite the contrary. If you read Hell No's 2nd post, he put it very well with his last few sentences. Pakistan doesn't think that way, does it?

Both Eritrea and Djibouti lol.

But I like this news, if true.

About time Egypt expanded its security influence across the region.

Back
Top Bottom