What's new

ECP creating hurdles in holding LG polls, says CJ!CJs politics?

batmannow

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
ECP creating hurdles in holding LG polls, says CJ

ECP creating hurdles in holding LG polls, says CJ - DAWN.COM

ISLAMABAD: Criticising the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) in failing to expedite process of holding Local Government (LG) elections across Pakistan, Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry Monday said, “It appears as if the ECP is creating hurdles in holding the local bodies polls.”

A three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, headed by the chief justice, was hearing a case pertaining to holding of local government elections in the country.

Representing the Election Commission, DG Election Sher Afgan said notifications regarding new delimitation had not been received from provinces therefore the ECP was unable to hold elections in time.

Upon which the chief justice said the ECP should hold the elections under prevailing systems in provinces which have failed to submit due notifications. However, the DG election argued that provinces have legislated new laws with old delimitations therefore notifications for new delimitations were mandatory.

Chief Justice Chaudhry responded saying the Election Commission was creating hurdle in holding the polls. “It seems if the Election Commission is creating hurdles in holding the local bodies elections,” he said.

“Local government elections are a constitutional obligation which will help reduce problems of the people if implemented upon,” he added.

Representing the federal government, Additional Attorney General Shah Khawar informed the court that a draft of the act, regarding holding LG polls in urban areas of the federal capital, had been finalised which will be implemented after getting the cabinet’s approval.

Meanwhile, the advocate general Sindh apprised the court that the province was ready to hold the LG polls on November 27 and all obstacles had been removed in that regard. He said the ECP had also been informed about that.

Additional Advocate General Punjab Muhammad Hanif Khatana also informed the court about the province’s willingness to hold the polls on time saying the process of delimitation of constituencies was ongoing and will be concluded by November 4.

He said after due legislation electoral rolls have also been finalised, adding the province was ready to hold the local bodies polls in the last week of November.

Citing Eid holidays and death of provincial law minister, the advocate general Khyber Pakhtunkhwa prayed the court for more time in issuing delimitation notification. The chief justice directed him to get instructions over approval of local government act in the province also.

While demanding of the Sindh and Punjab governments for producing subsequent notifications regarding delimitation of the constituencies, the apex court adjourned the hearing till October

ECP waits for another day; 40 lawmakers face suspension

ECP waits for another day; 40 lawmakers face suspension - DAWN.COM

ISLAMABAD: Despite repeated reminders by the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP), as many as 40 parliamentarians have not yet submitted annual details of assets and liabilities of themselves and their family members.

Under the relevant laws, every member of the parliament and provincial assemblies has to submit detail of their assets and liabilities by September 30 every year.

The commission after receiving the details waits for another 15 days (October 15 every year) to compile the report and suspend the membership of all those who fail to submit the details within the stipulated time.

Since there were Eid holidays till October 20, the action against stated parliamentarians was expected on October 21. However, the commission has decided to wait for another day to fulfill its legal obligation and issuance of notification for suspension of membership is now expected on Tuesday.

These members of parliament include three Senators, nine members of National assembly (MNAs), eight members of provincial assembly (MPAs) from Punjab, nine MPAs from Sindh, 10 MPAs from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KP) and a MPA from Balochistan.

All the Senators, who have not submitted the detail of their assets and liabilities, belong to Sindh – two of them were elected on general seats and one on a seat reserved for Ulema and technocrats.

Members elected on general seats are Syed Faisal Raza Abidi and Syed Mustafa Kamal, while Rehman Malik was elected on the seat reserved for Ulema and technocrats.

According to the ECP statement, the MNAs who are yet to submit details of their assets and liabilities, are Nasir Khan Khattak (NA-15 Karak), Engr Dawar Khan Kundi (NA-25 D.I.Khan-cum-Tank), Muhammad Nazir Khan (NA-40 Tribal Area-V), Abdul Rehman Khan Kanju (NA-155 Lodhran-II), Sardar Kamal Khan Chang (NA-224 Badin-cum-Tando Muhammad Khan-I- Old Badin-I), Sohail Mansoor Khawaja (NA-240 Karachi-II), Shah Jahan Baloch (NA-248 Karachi-X), Maulvi Agha Muhammad (NA-261 Pishin-cum-Ziarat), and Alizeh Iqbal Haider - elected against seat reserved for women.

Members from Punjab Assembly, who are yet to submit the details of assets and liabilities, include Najeebullah Khan (PP-48 Bhakkar- II), Ch. Muhammad Asadullah (PP-106 Hafizabad-II), Mian Mahmoodur Rasheed (PP-151 Lahore-XV), Malik Ghulam Habib Awan (PP-158 Lahore- XXII), Masood Shafqat (PP-189 Okara-V), Ali Abbas (PP-192 Okara- VIII), Waheed Asghar Dogar (PP-224 Sahiwal-V), and Abdul Majeed Khan Niazi (PP-262 Layyah-I).

From Sindh Assembly, nine members who have not submitted the details of assets and liabilities are Abdul Rauf Khan Khosa (PS- 18 Kashmore-II - Old Jacobabad-VI), Ghulam Rasool Khan Jatoi (PS-19 Naushero Feroze-I), Syed Faseeh Ahmed Shah (PS-26 Shaheed Benazir Abad-III - Old Nawabshah-III), Muhammad Ali Bhutto (PS-37 Larkana- III), Aziz Ahmed Jatoi (PS-41 Larkana-cum-Kambar Shahdadkot (II) Old Larkana-VII), Bashir Ahmed Halipoto (PS-55 Badin-cum-T.M.Khan (I) Old Badin-I), Jameel Ahmed Bhurgari (PS-67 Mirpurkhas-cum-Umerkot- Old Mirpur Khas-IV), Saniya (PS-109 Karachi-XXI), and Mukesh Kumar Chawla who was elected against a seat reserved for Non-Muslims.

Maximum members (10) who have not yet submitted the detail of assets and liabilities are from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Assembly and include Fazal Shakoor Khan (PK-17 Charsadda-I), Muhammad Arif (PK-22 Charsadda-VI), Muhammad Khan Bahadur (PK-23 Mardan-I), Muhammad Zahid Khan Durrani (PK-24 Mardan-II), Iftikhar Ali Mashwani (PK-26 Mardan-IV), Ziaullah Khan Bangash (PK-38 Kohat-II), Shah Faisal Khan (PK-42 Hangu-I), Sardar Zahoor Ahmed (PK-53 Mansehra-I), Abdul Sattar Khan (PK-63 Kohistan-III), and Javed Akbar Khan (PK-68 D.I.Khan-V).

From Balochistan, only one member elected against seat reserved for women Dr Shama Ishaq Baloch has not yet submitted the details of assets and liabilities[/
I]

BaQRMfwCMAAnxWL.jpg

BaQQzB1CQAAMoup.jpg

Back
Top Bottom