What's new

Economic crisis in India 2013 | ALL Updates & News

You can find so many links, but you can't even find one link to show that China got rid of the pegged exchange rate back in 2005? :rofl:

If you think the Chinese Yuan is still a pegged currency today, then go find a link to prove it.

Or maybe you can finally learn what a pegged currency means, finally.

I don't care really ... you are happy with how CNY is, you be so.

I don't need to convince you ... indeed.

LOL. :rofl:

You can find so many links for everything, but you can't find a link to prove your obvious lie?

China is a pegged currency ... and see the effects:

1. They need to pare down their USD holding to keep the CNY "peg"

If you claim the Chinese Yuan today is a pegged currency, then find a link to prove it.

Look at any chart of the CNY vs the USD, the CNY is soaring. So how on Earth can it be pegged?

Again, you have NO clue what a pegged currency is. You haven't even bothered to read the basic definition, which I have linked several times on this thread.

Ok.. if you were a banker, you'd automatically know .. just looking at "your own" the chart, on the previous page.

Compare your own chart with any free floating currency ... it never remains constant .. and the moves are never unidirectional.

(and I not taking finance / currency classes on this forum now.. no more of convincing now).

You can find so many links, but you can't even find one link to show that China got rid of the pegged exchange rate back in 2005? :rofl:

If you think the Chinese Yuan is still a pegged currency today, then go find a link to prove it.

Or maybe you can finally learn what a pegged currency means, finally.

Dear Chinese Dragon ,

It's true that Rupee is getting devalued ...and foreign investors are wary ...

If rupee is getting depreciated ( which is multifactorial as I said and enlisted before ) and if foreign investors are ' baulking' ....
that does not mean indian economy is over ...

Even if foreign investors stop investing India ...basics of Indian economy are sound...with huge population ...India economy will still continue to ' walk' instead of ' running ' ....It's not going to stop ....or going to go in recession ....

Cheer Success of China ....not failures of India ....because negativity you throw around can start consuming yourself.

(and I not taking finance / currency classes on this forum now.. no more of convincing now).

You have avoided the question several times now

You claimed that the Chinese Yuan today is a pegged currency. Yet you can't even find a single link, even though you can find links for everything else.

Again, read what a pegged currency actually is:

Fixed exchange rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And read the part where it says that China got rid of the currency peg in 2005. :lol:

Dear Chinese Dragon ,

It's true that Rupee is getting devalued ...and foreign investors are wary ...

If rupee is getting depreciated ( which is multifactorial as I said and enlisted before ) and if foreign investors are ' baulking' ....
that does not mean indian economy is over ...

Even if foreign investors stop investing India ...basics of Indian economy are sound...with huge population ...India economy will still continue to ' walk' instead of ' running ' ....It's not going to stop ....or going to go in recession ....

Cheer Success of China ....not failures of India ....because negativity you throw around can start consuming yourself.

Who said that the Indian economy is over?

I never said that. So I don't know who you are arguing against?

And I don't know why foreign investors are all pulling out of India. Since they are pouring into China.

China June FDI rises at fastest pace in more than two years | Reuters

Maybe India should get rid of that massive Trade deficit so you don't have to rely on foreign inflows so much.

Who said that the Indian economy is over?

I never said that. So I don't know who you are arguing against?

Well you didn't say that explicitly ...but you seemed very excited and happy with rupee getting depreciated...I am not arguing with you . When I said Indian economy is not over ...it's message for everybody both who hope for it as well as those who despair it

Some people who consider India as their enemy, would be hoping for Indian economy to be over ...

But as I said before ...we live in small world ...rather entangled ....we have huge impact on each others ...

So I will always hope for Chinese and US and European and for that matter Pakistani economy to do well .

And I hope you will wish same about Indian economy !!!

Well you didn't say that explicitly ...but you seemed very excited and happy with rupee getting depreciated...I am not arguing with you . When I said Indian economy is not over ...it's message for everybody both who hope for it as well as those who despair it

Some people who consider India as their enemy, would be hoping for Indian economy to be over ...

But as I said before ...we live in small world ...rather entangled ....we have huge impact on each others ...

So I will always hope for Chinese and US and European and for that matter Pakistani economy to do well .

And I hope you will wish same about Indian economy !!!

I just think it is ironic, Indians on this forum have been predicting the collapse of China's economy for years.

But in those past few years, the only thing that happened is that India's economy started going down instead.

Think about this quote: "Blowing out my candle, does not make your candle grow brighter".

I hope that ALL economies do well, especially economies in the developing world. But yes I do feel some sense of irony that all those Indian predictions about China's economy collapsing, turned back on them.

I just think it is ironic, Indians on this forum have been predicting the collapse of China's economy for years.

But in those past few years, the only thing that happened is that India's economy started going down instead.

Think about this quote: "Blowing out my candle, does not make your candle grow brighter".

I hope that ALL economies do well, especially economies in the developing world. But yes I do feel some sense of irony that all those Indian predictions about China's economy collapsing, turned back on them.

Dear Chinese dragon ,
I am totally against such kind of mutual or for that matter unilateral humiliations. I tell you by feeding such negativity we only encourage it . Next time somebody tries to belittle you or China , be magnanimous to either ignore them or forgive them . That way you will give befitting reply that is needed from a proud citizen of a great country like China .
One achieves nothing by engaging in mudslinging and ends up spreading venomous hatred !!!

Rupee torture: Between a red queen, yuvraaj and white veshti

A day after the Independence Day, the Queen’s durbar was in session. To her left sat mauni baba with his head down and his eyes looking at his feet. To her right sat the yuvraaj, the man who refused to grow up, fiddling with his new Apple iPhone. Standing in front of her was the man who always wore the white veshti.

“So why is your veshti not spotlessly white today,” asked the Queen as she started the proceedings for the day.

“Oh, yesterday the wife decided to host an Independence day lunch and asked me to get two kgs of onions,” replied the man who always wore the white veshti, rather matter of factly.

“So?” asked the queen.
Flickr/ Creative Commons

Flickr/ Creative Commons

“Well, after buying two kgs of onion, I did not have enough money left to buy a Surf Excel sachet. You know, to wash one veshti properly takes one sachet.”

“Oh. I don’t know what this Power Man is upto. He doesn’t seem to understand that many elections have been lost on the price of onions,” lamented the queen.

“Yes madam,” replied the man who always wore the white veshti. “But he will win only if the onion prices keep going up.”

“Anyway so tell me what are we going about the rupee?” asked the Queen. “I gather this morning it even touched 62 to a dollar.”

“Rupee, rupee, rupee,” the yuvraaj said before the man who always wore the white veshti could say anything. “Robert keeps talking about them all the time.”

“Shh! Shutup,” said the queen. “Ah. I so wish that my son had married and my daughter had not.”
“Madam we are doing a lot of things to stop the fall of the rupee.”

“Like what?”

“On Wednesday I got the Reserve Bank to put in capital controls.”

“Capital controls”

“Yeah. Like Indian citizens can no longer buy property abroad.”

“That’s good. Anyway there is so much land in the country, why do they need to buy property abroad,” replied the queen. “They can always buy land in Gurgaon.”

“Like Robert, like Robert,” the yuvraaj interrupted again.

The man who always wore the white veshti ignored the interruption and carried on with his explanations.

“We also slashed the amount of money Indian citizens can remit abroad every year to $75,000, from the earlier $200,000. We have raised the import duty on gold and silver to 10%. We have also made it more difficult for Indian companies to invest abroad. All this to make sure that the demand for dollars goes down and the rupee recovers.”

“But it doesn’t seem to be helping,” said the queen. “Does it?”

“You know Ma, what this reminds me of?” the yuvraaj got into the conversation again.

“What beta?” asked the Queen lovingly.

“I recently read this lovely book called Through the Looking Glass, written by Lewis Carrol.”

“Good beta. You should read more instead of fidgeting around with that phone of yours all day long.”

“And the book had a Queen.”

“Really? Like me?”

“Yes, the Red Queen. And there is something that she says in the book that makes immense sense.”

“And what is that beta?”

“As the lines from the book go: “”A slow sort of country!” said the (Red) Queen. “Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!””

“Ah, smart boy. Now I really know what is happening. We are not running fast enough. Also let the records of the meeting show that I said that. It’s such a smart thing to say.”

“Yes Madam. That’s what I have been trying to tell Subbu of the Reserve Bank,” said the man who always wore the white veshti, trying to save himself and pass on the blame.

“Call Subbu here at once,” roared the Queen.

“Yes Madam, in fact he is waiting outside,” said the man who always wore the white veshti.

So within five minutes Subbu was brought in. He looked very happy with not a care in the world.

“So Mr Subbu will you care to explain why are we not running fast enough when it comes to preventing the rupee fall,” asked the Queen.

“Madam, to be honest, there is nothing much we can do. The solution to the crisis is very simple. We need to cut down on our oil imports, our coal imports, our edible oil imports and our fertilizer imports. And I guess you know what will happen if we do that? At the same time we need to increase our exports manifold. And that won’t happen unless the physical infrastructure is improved. We need better ports, better roads and a better rail network. All this is not going to happen overnight, given that it has not happened in years. Also, Indian companies have borrowed too much money in dollars and all that needs to be repaid now. The NRIs are also looking to withdraw all the money they had deposited with Indian banks,” came a long answer from Subbu till he was stopped by the yuvraaj.

“In short we are screwed,” exclaimed the yuvraaj.

“So the demand for dollars will continue. The rupee will continue to be under pressure. We cannot sell dollars to control the rupee fall because we have just enough dollars to cover around six and a half months of imports. And that is a very low level. So we can only run to keep in the same place. In fact, we may not be able to do even that,” said Subbu, very matter of factly.

“Oh. But you could still do something about it?” asked the Queen.

“Madam, my time is up. I am going back to Telangana. I have bought a nice house in Nizamabad. And will spend the next few years watching the mythological movies of the late NT Rama Rao garu. It’s up to the Professor now,” said Subbu as he left the room.

“And why is the stock market down by more than 500 points this morning?” asked the ‘worried’ Queen again.

“Basically the foreign investors have now started to fear that we may not allow them to take their money back.”

“Oh, but why? I know of no such plans.”

“Madam, we have reduced the amount of money that Indians could remit abroad to $75,000 from $200,000. So the belief in the market is that our next step will be not allowing foreign investors to take their money back.”

“So?”

“So they are selling out of the stock market, converting their rupees into dollars and taking their money back, before we do any such thing. A similar things seems to be happening in the bond market.”

“Ah. All seems to be going wrong for me,” lamented the Queen. “I had such great plans for the yuvraaj.”

“Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be),” played on yuvraaj’s iPhone as the Queen decided to call it a day.

In 1986, 1 USD = 0.75 Soviet Roubles (pegged rate, as per communist party of soviet union).

In 2013, there is no quote available, since Soviet ruble is history.

In 20xx, there is no quote available for chinese yuan, since history repeated itself. :laugh:

Yuan movement's is not free to reflect the market value.

Yuan is pegged against the USD, but the rate at which it is pegged is changed periodically. The movements in Yuan are controlled by PBOC.

Dear CD. I'm not sure if you have observed, but let me point out anyway. Most of the -ve articles on any country are posted by short-term folks. Very few Indians wish bad for other countries. Do learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Many Chinese contributors on this forum predicted this. I am impressed :coffee:

MUMBAI, Aug 16 (AFP): India's rupee plunged to a new low Friday and stocks saw their sharpest single-day fall in nearly two years on fears that foreign capital could flow back to the United States as the US economy improves.

The rupee, one of Asia's worst-performing currencies this year, hit a record of 62.03 rupees to the greenback, slipping past its previous low of 61.80 rupees on August 6.

India's stock markets saw relentless selling pressure, with the Bombay Stock Exchange's benchmark 30-share Sensex index plunging to close down 3.97 per cent or 769.41 points -- its sharpest single-day point fall since September 2011 -- to 18,598.18 points.

After the stock markets closed, a finance ministry official said that excessive forex exchange volatility was impacting the equity markets.

"The rupee worry spills over to the equity markets and the equity worry spills over to the rupee. It is a potentially vicious circle," an unnamed ministry official told the Press Trust of India news agency.

The currency recovered marginally but still ended the day at a record closing low of 61.65 to the dollar.

Friday's sharp decline reflects fears that recent measures by the Reserve Bank of India may not be able to help slow down foreign fund outflows and the ailing currency, dealers said.

India's markets were closed Thursday, so Friday was the first day the markets reacted to new measures announced by the central bank to control forex outflows and prop up the rupee.

On Wednesday, the central bank said that Indian firms can invest only 100 per cent of their net worth abroad, down from an earlier 400 per cent.

Resident Indians will be able to send only $75,000 out of the country each year -- down from $200,000 previously.

"(Wednesday's) measures have caused fresh concern, suggesting that one can bring in capital (into India) but it is difficult to take it out," said Sonam Udasi, head of research with investment bank IDBI Capital.

Udasi said investors were worried that despite India's long-term growth potential, "things are not in shape in the interim period".

"This is a panic fall," said Ajay Bodke, an investment strategist at Mumbai brokerage Prabhudas Lilladher, as demand for the dollar has risen on expectations of a scaling back of US stimulus in September.

Since June 1, overseas funds have pulled out a combined $11.58 billion in equities and debt from India's markets, over concerns about the weakening economy, regulatory data shows.

"There is complete lack of faith in the markets. We are slowly, but surely, likely to enter a phase of a crisis," Param Sarma, chief executive at NSP Forex, a consultancy firm said.

Meanwhile, local gold prices surged by 1,310 rupees ($21.20) per 10 grams, the most in two years, to 31,010 rupees on strong demand from stores ahead of India's religious festival season -- despite moves by the government to curb bullion imports to lower India's trade gap with the rest of the world.

The fall of the rupee is part of a wider trend as most emerging market currencies have depreciated in recent months against the dollar, which is strengthening as its economy recovers.

Dealers said there was no immediate sign of intervention by the central bank to prop up the rupee, which at Friday's low had depreciated 13.2 per cent against the dollar so far in 2013.

source: Rupee plunges to new low :: Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

Back
Top Bottom