ECC grants Rs 7bn loan for Jacobabad airbase upgrade

fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ECC grants Rs 7bn loan for Jacobabad airbase upgrade

By Sajid Chaudhry

ISLAMABAD: The Economic Coordination Committee (ECC) guaranteed on Tuesday to provide Rs 7 billion in loans to convert the Shahbaz Airbase in Jacobabad from a forward-operating base to a main-operating base.

A forward-operating base is only activated at times of war, while a main-operating base is fully operational in all states of combat readiness. Chaired by Federal Privatisation Minister Syed Naveed Qamar, the ECC meeting at the Prime Minister’s Secretariat granted ex-post facto approval for a government of Pakistan Guarantee and Term Finance Agreement for a loan of Rs 1 billion from the Allied Bank Limited for the base conversion.

The meeting also approved another government of Pakistan guarantee for Rs 6 billion during its discussion into the acquisition of a bank loan for the base conversion. It also approved the term finance agreement for the same amount that had already been signed by the Finance Division for the upgradation of the base.

The ECC also approved several other initiatives during the meeting, including the extension by one year of a Rs 3 billion government guarantee for the Karachi Electric Supply Company financial improvement plan.

the construction is already underway... the temperature in jacobabad is so high that they came up with the idea of constructing UNDER GROUND hangers for ACs.. its going to be one state of the art air base!

the construction is already underway... the temperature in jacobabad is so high that they came up with the idea of constructing UNDER GROUND hangers for ACs.. its going to be one state of the art air base!

SO how are they going to bring the aircraft up, like those special platforms in aircraft carriers?

Too early to comment about the nature of the base. I see no reason of having an operational base so near to the border, the enemy can reach there within no time. Maybe some senior members like Murad sb can put some light on this.

According to one of the PAF's previous air chief AM Tanveer Mahmood, Block 52+ F-16s will be based at PAF Shahbaz airbase.

Too early to comment about the nature of the base. I see no reason of having an operational base so near to the border, the enemy can reach there within no time. Maybe some senior members like Murad sb can put some light on this.

well my bro is posted in quetta with his unit.. after a usual air support exercises (which he was coordinating btw) during a meeting between pilots are army officers they discussed jacababad air base. and under ground hangers were also brought up by the pilots..

well my bro is posted in quetta with his unit.. after a usual air support exercises (which he was coordinating btw) during a meeting between pilots are army officers they discussed jacababad air base. and under ground hangers were also brought up by the pilots..

that will be nice to have that tech home! perhaps it is not much of a technology but still is a good addition.
also apart from thr heat, the closeness to the border may also have been one reason for the ubderground hangers!

regards!

its in the middle of the country and by the by all PAF bases are within reach of the enemy !!!

Well, it does makes sense if you consider that the next war between the two nations will likely take place primarily in this region. It would be a good place to house a multi-role squadron to achieve the following goals:
- Air deniability against IAF air-superiority fighters.
- Interception of IAF bombing/CAS aircraft.
- Close air support to PA troops engaged in combat action along the Sindh-India and Southern Punjab-India border.
- Air interdiction behind enemy forces (ideally).
- Cutting off enemy advances with bombing runs.
- Raising the overall threat levels for the Indians.

Also, regarding the closeness to the border, since Pakistan and India share borders, it is impossible, really, to intercept enemy intruders before they enter your territory. It's not like the USSR-US distance, where enemy aircraft could be spotted and intercepted well beyond the borders into the Pacific Ocean. Closeness to the border will make it more vulnerable, for sure, which is all the more reason to make sure we have an air-superiority/interceptor fighter housed there.

There would be something logical behind. After 1999 pakistan started Projects to make tunnels in mountains and underground thing on large scale, Somebody was working on sectet project, I wouldnt like to mention the name of area, he told me that pakistan has developed an underground command and controle center near one of the major Pakistan air force base. Similar things had been done in Mianwali, Abbottabad and in Skardu

There would be something logical behind. After 1999 pakistan started Projects to make tunnels in mountains and underground thing on large scale, Somebody was working on sectet project, I wouldnt like to mention the name of area, he told me that pakistan has developed an underground command and controle center near one of the major Pakistan air force base. Similar things had been done in Mianwali, Abbottabad and in Skardu

Ask people living at sea view or in Clifton in the last 3 years or so they experienced few tremors and initialy they considered it as an earthquake but there was no comments from Met dept.

Apparently it looks like they were doin some underground blasts near Manora which is quite near to Masroor base in Karachi. Just my perception, but I can be wrong too.:coffee:

Come on guys..stop giving classified info on this forum.I am pretty sure some unwanted people are viewing these forums..

I forget to mention in end of 80'S indian's had plan to cut karachi and Pujnab. They had a plan. Pakistan did'nt had army facilities in the area. Then pakistan developed Pano Akil cantonement and deployed Mechanized Division & Infantry Division in Pano Akil and in Malir and on other side in Bahawalpur. Pakistan done in history of Pakistan biggest excercise named Zarbe Momin in Jehlum area (Tilla Jogian) and developed new concept to fight war in the area of enemy. On opposite side of border india has lot of militray installments and air bases.
http://ayravat.files.wordpress.com/2006/11/air-bases.jpg
In 2002 Pakistan air force had plan to destroy indian missel lanching pads which were in Pokran before india use in war. So jacobabad air base can play a significant role and it should be developed.

Back
Top Bottom