What's new

Eating exotic mammals in southern China, as a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses

dBSPL

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
This article was written in 2007. You can start reading from here:

SHOULD WE BE READY FOR THE REEMERGENCE OF SARS?

The medical and scientific community demonstrated marvelous efforts in the understanding and control of SARS within a short time, as evident by over 4,000 publications available online. Despite these achievements, gaps still exist in terms of the molecular basis of the physical stability and transmissibility of this virus, the molecular and immunological basis of disease pathogenesis in humans, screening tests for early or cryptic SARS cases, foolproof infection control procedures for patient care, effective antivirals or antiviral combinations, the usefulness of immunomodulatory agents for late presenters, an effective vaccine with no immune enhancement, and the immediate animal host that transmitted the virus to caged civets in the market at the beginning of the epidemic. Coronaviruses are well known to undergo genetic recombination (375), which may lead to new genotypes and outbreaks. The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored.

For more - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus as an Agent of Emerging and Reemerging Infection
full papers - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtirgvrzh27b3s2/Clinical Microbiology Reviews-2007-Cheng-660.full.pdf?dl=0

Also this video is a good example focused on the cause and effect relationship of this situation

and it's a humanist environmental wildlife conservation issue too
read that Chinese gov is gonna permanently ban such festivals which r already very controversial among. Chinese

This article was written in 2007. You can start reading from here:

SHOULD WE BE READY FOR THE REEMERGENCE OF SARS?

The medical and scientific community demonstrated marvelous efforts in the understanding and control of SARS within a short time, as evident by over 4,000 publications available online. Despite these achievements, gaps still exist in terms of the molecular basis of the physical stability and transmissibility of this virus, the molecular and immunological basis of disease pathogenesis in humans, screening tests for early or cryptic SARS cases, foolproof infection control procedures for patient care, effective antivirals or antiviral combinations, the usefulness of immunomodulatory agents for late presenters, an effective vaccine with no immune enhancement, and the immediate animal host that transmitted the virus to caged civets in the market at the beginning of the epidemic. Coronaviruses are well known to undergo genetic recombination (375), which may lead to new genotypes and outbreaks. The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored.

For more - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus as an Agent of Emerging and Reemerging Infection
full papers - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtirgvrzh27b3s2/Clinical Microbiology Reviews-2007-Cheng-660.full.pdf?dl=0

Also this video is a good example focused on the cause and effect relationship of this situation
Eating wild animal is not good, many countries has some portion of population hold this habit.
Americans eat wild bear meat, and wild Oyster are consumed worldwide, especially Europe and America.

I suggest all people stop eating wild caught fish, since it not good for the environment and may bring desease.

I suggest all people stop eating wild caught anything from the ocean.

All lives matter.

Eating wild animal is not good, many countries has some portion of population hold this habit.
Americans eat wild bear meat, and wild Oyster are consumed worldwide, especially Europe and America.

I suggest all people stop eating wild caught fish, since it not good for the environment and may bring desease.

All lives matter.
I don't want to disrespect about the eating culture of people. However, if this culture is to continue, these animals must be more controlled and biologically safe breeded "only" on registered farms.

I hope CoVid-19 becomes the (sad but)experience that has protected us from greater danger.

I don't want to disrespect about the eating culture of people. However, if this culture is to continue, these animals must be more controlled and biologically safe breeded "only" on registered farms.

I hope CoVid-19 becomes the (sad but)experience that has protected us from greater danger.
yea, especially wild ocean fish and oyster. People should stop eating wild caught fish, unless it's farmed.
we need to protect the ocean, otherwise, the earth will die when the ocean is empty.
The more vegetarian the better.
All lives matter.

Exotic animals are mostly consumed south east Asia and Africa, some Chinese try them, but never in a large scale, besides, most plagues in human history were not caused by exotic animals, they were caused by domestic animals, 1918 Spanish flu an 2009 American H1N1 flu came from pigs, bird flu comes from chicken, foot and mouth disease is frow cows and sheep, MERS is from camels, as long as humans don't stop interacting with animals, those virus wil always pop up.

Informative YouTube video, must watch. Hopefully people see sense. Banning wet markets is first step, but the culture of eating wild animals need to be changed. Unfortunately people are materialistic because they want people to know they can afford 100 dollar peacock dish.

All lives matter.

Wild boar in America are considered feral and non native. You getting confused the reason virus emerged is because of unacceptable hygiene standards in these markets. You got to be an idiot if you dine from these markets.

Nobody knows where Spanish Flu came from. One theory is that it came from China. Southern Chinese of course consume wild animals including my own flatmate who eats snakes. Stop denying.

It's from US, spreaded around the world by US military servicemen, the first known case was reported at a military base in Kansas in the United Stateson March 11, 1918.

On 4 March 1918, company cook Albert Gitchell, from Haskell County, reported sick at Fort Riley, a US military facility that at the time was training American troops during World War I, making him the first recorded victim of the flu. Within days, 522 men at the camp had reported sick.

check the documentary out.

Last edited:
Nobody knows where Spanish Flu came from. One theory is that it came from China. Southern Chinese of course consume wild animals including my own flatmate who eats snakes. Stop denying.
More like you denial the real source of those virus. Cos you are desperate to pull the Chinese in.

Fly a fake flag and then post bogus experience in an low life attempt to smear Chinese.

Totally baseless claim, most of the deadly viruses are made in laboratories and when are leaked from laboratories then the blame is shifted on the consumption of wild animals meat in china

Back
Top Bottom