What's new

East India Company relaunches as luxury brand

H2O3C4Nitrogen

Reaction score
East India Company relaunches as luxury brand

London, England (CNN) -- It was the world's first multinational company, a trading giant during the colonial rule of the Indian subcontinent.

This week, The East India Co. is being reborn as a luxury brand -- under Indian ownership.

Sanjiv Mehta, an Indian-born importer and entrepreneur, bought the intellectual property rights to the company in 2005, after they had lain dormant for a century. His goal was to create a global luxury brand.

His dream is realized in a new store off London's high-end Regent Street, where the new East India Co. now sells gourmet tea, chocolate, coffee and gifts.

"Its name has a huge relationship with all that is high-end products," Mehta said.

The East India Co. began as a trading monopoly under Queen Elizabeth I in 1600 to ship commodities to the West from India, China and the Spice Islands, countering the clout of the Dutch, Spanish and Portuguese.

At various times, the company controlled the trade in indigo dye, cotton, silk, opium and tea.

The "tea library" at the new store features more than 100 different types including green, black, herbal, and flavored teas.

"There would not be tea on the tables of London but for The East India Co.," Mehta said. "So, in a way, we own this category."

In time, the company and British colonialism became one and the same. It was the company's tea that was dumped in Boston Harbor in 1773, and the company once controlled Singapore and India.

"It brought all the exotic foods from the East to the West," Mehta said.

That idea is infused in the goods for sale at the store, from Japanese mustard to chocolate and biscuits flavored with sea salt and red peppercorns.

The British crown slowly took control of the company's routes, ports, currency and military, becoming the symbol of the British empire.

In 1874, the company ceased trading, prompting an obituary in The Times newspaper now inscribed in a marble table at the new store: "It accomplished a work such as in the whole history of the human race no other company ever attempted, or is ever to attempt in the years to come."

The company's name may also remind some of the illegal opium trade from China, and oppression and wars in India. Mehta, however, sees another side in his native India.

"The English language, the ports, the railway system, the civil system ... the bridges -- all was built by The East India Co.," he said. "So there's a huge relationship between The East India Co. and various walks of life. It is not just food products."

Mehta said he has invested around $20 million in the company so far. He hopes to open more stores and launch leather goods, jewelry and home interiors, plans that will take an additional $100 million, he said.

"Its name has a huge relationship with all that is high-end products," Mehta said.

Really? I thought it had a huge relationship to this.

British_man_get_pedicure.jpg

and this

267604466_dd48e5674a_o.jpg

I dont see it as a smart business move..the author concludes that Indo-Pak people will be rushing to buy from a relic which once engaged in mass blood shed?? Many be those bearing colonial mentality appraise that but the clue that intelactual property was lying dormant for a century has bells ringing here.

Imagine this.."hey i bought this over priced sweater from east indian company because ohh dude colonism was soo cool" yeah right!

I agree, I dont think any South Asian should buy anything form this company, east india company humiliated our ancestors and look at us planning to relaunch that label. :hitwall:

I dont see it as a smart business move..the author concludes that Indo-Pak people will be rushing to buy from a relic which once engaged in mass blood shed?? Many be those bearing colonial mentality appraise that but the clue that intelactual property was lying dormant for a century has bells ringing here.

Imagine this.."hey i bought this over priced sweater from east indian company because ohh dude colonism was soo cool" yeah right!

You dont get it. Indians (and other south asians) will buy from it since it is under the ownership of some one from the subcontinent. Has huge connotations. Americans/British will buy from it because its a reminder from the imperial days. For example, Folks living in the US can vouch for the popularity of the store chain called BOMBAY (before the recent recession led to close down of most of the stores of the chain)

Is this the same East India Company as the one formed in 1600? Or is it a brand name?

The original East India Company has bad reputation od trading blood and opium for profit, but then people have short memory, they forgot history. The sale theme focus on the romantic side of British and Indian elite during the rule of East India Co, they may actually do well.

The Jardines of Hong Kong was once big time opium pusher in China, they survived as big trading company.

Is this the same East India Company as the one formed in 1600? Or is it a brand name?

The original East India Company has bad reputation od trading blood and opium for profit, but then people have short memory, they forgot history. The sale theme focus on the romantic side of British and Indian elite during the rule of East India Co, they may actually do well.

The Jardines of Hong Kong was once big time opium pusher in China, they survived as big trading company.

Actually It is the same East India Company and you are right they have done such deeds. But the thing which Indians feels pride of is that the company which once owned India today is owned by an Indian. It has more to do with the pride then actual buisness.

How big is the asset of this East India Company comparing to the one which owned nearly half of the world ?

I think it's a very good move, it screams out to the world:
"They controlled us, now we OWN them"
Good going in my opinion.......

Originally Posted by Old School
"How big is the asset of this East India Company comparing to the one which owned nearly half of the world ?"

There is no comparison. Its just the mystique surrounding the name 'East India Company'. While the (then) East India Company started out as a business venture which ended up colonising (approx) half of the world; this is a business venture which will remain as such (with future growth or decline?).

Originally Posted by Old School
"How big is the asset of this East India Company comparing to the one which owned nearly half of the world ?"

There is no comparison. Its just the mystique surrounding the name 'East India Company'. While the (then) East India Company started out as a business venture which ended up colonising (approx) half of the world; this is a business venture which will remain as such (with future growth or decline?).

Many of us forget that the original East India company was an Anglo-Dutch enterprise which later evolved into present day's Royal Anglo-Dutch Shell which is also a formidable player in global politics.

Many of us forget that the original East India company was an Anglo-Dutch enterprise which later evolved into present day's Royal Anglo-Dutch Shell which is also a formidable player in global politics.

True. And since many(most) of us dont remember or know this, the optics of this move remain uneffected by this.

Colonialism and the end of it. Yeh sab chalte rehta hai. History gets created over the period of many years. Isi beech insaan ki zindagi beet jati hai. So don't worry about International politics/history and enjoy life.

the company wudnt do much
but its a symbolism of how things have turned around.
britain should understand wat it feels to b under sum1's slavery
that is y i love china
they brought down all the arrogance of west

Back
Top Bottom