What's new

DRDO's New Multi-caliber weapon system to replace INSAS

Good, so INSAS was not deemed suitable for Indian Army or is it that this new super gun is super advanced so that it will replace the older ones? Have not read much about this new weapon system but whatever i have read about it, it sure looks good.

ALSO, please mind you language while posting in the threads, swearing and foul language wont get you anywhere, specially @Omega007 @CallofDuty2 . If you have any differences, better to settle them in a civilized manner. You can present some facts/links to support your argument and that will be much better then calling names.
PA is planning to replace g3s with new gun that doesn't mean g3 was UNSUITABLE for PA

Good, so INSAS was not deemed suitable for Indian Army or is it that this new super gun is super advanced so that it will replace the older ones? Have not read much about this new weapon system but whatever i have read about it, it sure looks good.
Nothing super advanced,just closer to contemporary designs compared to INSAS 1B1,which was designed way back in the mid 80s and has long been due for replacement.But then again,firearms design hasn't really changed that much if you look at it;that except the use of better looking outer furniture,there hasn't really been any radical design shift.

ALSO, please mind you language while posting in the threads, swearing and foul language wont get you anywhere, specially @Omega007 @CallofDuty2 . If you have any differences, better to settle them in a civilized manner.
OK,will do.
You can present some facts/links to support your argument and that will be much better then calling names.
Don't you think it's COD who needs to come up with the facts since he's the one making the claims and therefore,the burden of proof lies on him??

Nothing super advanced,just closer to contemporary designs compared to INSAS 1B1,which was designed way back in the mid 80s and has long been due for replacement.But then again,firearms design hasn't really changed that much if you look at it;that except the use of better looking outer furniture,there hasn't really been any radical design shift.
But these will be much more advanced compared to INSAS right?
and what about the INSAS, were there any kind of problems with that or it is a routine change/upgrade?

OK,will do.
Great, thanks!

Don't you think it's COD who needs to come up with the facts since he's the one making the claims and therefore,the burden of proof lies on him??
Well if we were in a court room, may be yes. However assuming we are all here to learn, references/links to prove ones point will help if they come from both sides. We will get a lot to learn then don't you think?

and what about the INSAS, were there any kind of problems with that or it is a routine change/upgrade?

In terms with the changing environment (read NATO Afgan campaign) IA felt the need of a weapon which can fire 5.56 and 7.72. Just think that PA was using some 5.56 rifle instead of G3 and went to your recent offensive against militants? 5.56 suits for a conventional war fare, not COIN.

INSAS has done its part, it was coint Rs-8 to 10k per piece...cost effective and rectified all its probelms on a latter stage.

PA is planning to replace g3s with new gun that doesn't mean g3 was UNSUITABLE for PA

G-3 was manufactured back in 1950, YES, some 65 years ago. The version we use are much more modern and advanced but even they are not as recently acquired/designed as the INSAS that was first manufactured only some 15 years ago!!

How can you ignore the 50 years difference?

The main assault rifle are not something that are meant to be replaced every 15 years! No one dies so unless there is some problem. :)
They are to be produced in huge numbers, hundreds and thousands of guns and are meant to equip the army for much longer time periods. That is why i asked this question that was there a problem with INSAS that they are thinking/going to replace the entire stocks with a new gun only after some 15 years of its introduction?

In terms with the changing environment (read NATO Afgan campaign) IA felt the need of a weapon which can fire 5.56 and 7.72. Just think that PA was using some 5.56 rifle instead of G3 and went to your recent offensive against militants? 5.56 suits for a conventional war fare, not COIN.

INSAS has done its part, it was coint Rs-8 to 10k per piece...cost effective and rectified all its probelms on a latter stage.
So you are saying that there was no problem with INSAS and the whole army is going to get new guns just because they realized the caliber is not right?

I think that is why @CallofDuty2 and @Omega007 were arguing about.

Ahh....yes,technically.As per the available info,(I ain't really sure of how much of this is true as nothing has been released by ARDE yet) the new MCIWS is made of lighter Mg-Al alloys with the receiver being of milled construction and the internal parts being set on their place with precision drilling and spot wielding.Now this is a huge improvement over the present 1B1,which is made of stamped steel with the parts being set to their place with lots of rivets.
Then the MCIWS come equipped with other goodies attached like p-rail mounts,flip up sights,multiple calibers,better and lighter outer furniture,a bolt catcher,adjustable butt-stock, digital fire control computer with attached LRF for firing programmable air bursting grenades,ambidextrous cocking handle,mag release and firing selector levers etc etc and of course BETTER LOOKS!!
And lest I should forget,rumor is that the new rifle has the short stroke pistons,which are now in 'fashion' these days instead of that heavier long stroke one of INSAS,which in turn was a direct copy of the AKM.
So these are the supposed improvements over INSAS.

I've fired the INSAS and to be honest,it never gave me any troubles.But then,the ones we used were of top notch quality,everything was sparkling clean.So I wouldn't know how it would fair in the field,in dirt and mud with soldiers getting far lesser time to clean them up.

Great, thanks!

:)
Well if we were in a court room, may be yes. However assuming we are all here to learn, references/links to prove ones point will help if they come from both sides. We will get a lot to learn then don't you think?
But we do not really know much about this new rifle yet.Heck,even the developmental trials are not over,with testing still going on with different prototypes and tech demonstrators.That's why I was surprised how did he reach to his conclusions.

Last edited:
G-3 was manufactured back in 1950, YES, some 65 years ago. The version we use are much more modern and advanced but even they are not as recently acquired/designed as the INSAS that was first manufactured only some 15 years ago!!

The main assault rifle are not something that are meant to be replaced every 15 years! No one dies so unless there is some problem. :)
They are to be produced in huge numbers, hundreds and thousands of guns and are meant to equip the army for much longer time periods. That is why i asked this question that was there a problem with INSAS that they are thinking/going to replace the entire stocks with a new gun only after some 15 years of its introduction?

So you are saying that there was no problem with INSAS and the whole army is going to get new guns just because they realized the caliber is not right?

Yes fair enough, but why you are sarcastic about MCIWS:azn:

They are to be produced in huge numbers, hundreds and thousands of guns and are meant to equip the army for much longer time periods. T
hat is why i asked this question that was there a problem with INSAS that they are thinking/going to replace the entire stocks with a new gun only after some 15 years of its introduction?

What do you suggest, the period of usage of battle rifles in any army?

IA started using INSAS in 1990s and the problems which popped up while using in Kargil & Siachin. All the problems were rectified later. The new rifle will not come in a year or so. It will take at least 3-5 years, so INSAS will complete 20-25 years in army and those rifles will move to police force replacing the old .303

INSAS 1B1 is a good rifle and people who use it stand by it. Sure it is an outdated but the gripes are really about the caliber really. Problem with IA is that they need to speed up the trials process and get this over with. We need this new rifle asap. 5.56mm should be a law enforcement round i.e. to be used by Central/State armed police forces like CRPF, CISF, RPF etc. 7.62 to be used by paramilitary units like BSF/ITBP/RR and employ it in COIN ops. 6.8mm should be the round for general infantry.

looks like some1 is found of old tech.
you must be the one of drdo employee.
who only praise there self made equipments.
likes to enjoys old tech.
happy with old designs.
indian army will reject it after some more trails/if not then in mid service because of poor quality.even chinese cheap copy weapons is better than drdo weapons.
Relaxe and chill out till then :D:D:D

looks like some1 is found of old tech.
you must be the one of drdo employee.
who only praise there self made equipments.
likes to enjoys old tech.
happy with old designs.
indian army will reject it after some more trails/if not then in mid service because of poor quality.even chinese cheap copy weapons is better than drdo weapons.

You are late to the party chicken man,cause as far as I'm concerned,I'm through you and through this topic.See what kind of shit we have to deal with here each and every fuckking day, @Arsalan bro??

INSAS 1B1 is a good rifle and people who use it stand by it. Sure it is an outdated but the gripes are really about the caliber really. Problem with IA is that they need to speed up the trials process and get this over with. We need this new rifle asap. 5.56mm should be a law enforcement round i.e. to be used by Central/State armed police forces like CRPF, CISF, RPF etc. 7.62 to be used by paramilitary units like BSF/ITBP/RR and employ it in COIN ops. 6.8mm should be the round for general infantry.

I agree to most part of this comment except the one where you said 6.8 Remington SPC should be made standard for general infantry.In my opinion,the decision of going with this round was fuckked up from day one,overall this round is a big disappointment,even the US SOCOM are not using it,for whom it was specifically designed.......they rather choose various match grade 5.56 like Mk262 or Mk318 rounds.
In my opinion,it's not yet too late to just let go off this SPC thing and change it to Grendel or even better,the 6.5X43 Lapua Scenar.That thing is a beast.

yup time will show how good is drdo's multi caliber weapon system.
i mean look at the name how dumb its sound.

if its rejected by army and SF,and waste of our tax payer money, i will kill every1 who support drdo mcws.
the result will be same as insas.
Relaxe buddy

You are late to the party chicken man,cause as far as I'm concerned,I'm through you and through this topic.See what kind of shit we have to deal with here each and every fuckking day, @Arsalan bro??.

Well about that particular post by @CallofDuty2 consdidering many much more serious offensive posts by him as well as by yourself. Instead of reporting or rating or deleting, i will request you both to please refrain from flaming posts and calling names. Instead if both of you can present some actual facts and reports supporting the argument that will not only make your argument sound better but it will also help remove lot of miss conceptions and help us all learn new things.

I have yet to see a report by @CallofDuty2 bro to support that the DRDO INSAS or this new gun or other systems are piece of crap as he suggest, neither have you provided any facts and figures about this new gun or even INSAS.

Personally, i will say that there must have been some serious issues with INSAS to make the army replace the gun so early. Caliber and such stuff can only be an excuse to cover the actual mess, main gun of armies ARE NOT replaced in such short periods if they are half decent. do not makes sense. For the new gun, i will say that it do look excellent on paper. I will look forward for some reports of trails supporting or disagreeing with this point of view about the new gun. Until that comes and someone can prove that the gun is not impressive, i will have to say that it looks good to me on paper. Let us see if someone can present some god facts to support or argue with this.

Yes fair enough, but why you are sarcastic about MCIWS:azn:
Sarcastic?
WHERE? Please do point me to the post, i am sorry if you felt that way!
I am merely asking a question, i saw a good discussion about the system going on and thought it will be best to see if someone can help me with my query! What was sarcastic about it?

What do you suggest, the period of usage of battle rifles in any army?

IA started using INSAS in 1990s and the problems which popped up while using in Kargil & Siachin. All the problems were rectified later. The new rifle will not come in a year or so. It will take at least 3-5 years, so INSAS will complete 20-25 years in army and those rifles will move to police force replacing the old .303
Actually, NO,
The INSAS mass production only started in 1997 and FIRST rifles got into service in 98. Remember it is the First rifles!! So the first batch is just 14 15 years old, the last batches even much younger. This is NOT a normal life time of the main gun. You do not see them being replaced so early in there service unless there are some issues, some serious issues!

Unfortunately, having this comments coming from a member with Pakistani flag will make it almost impossible for you people to admit, that is a fact and i cannot blame you for that. However, IF you can believe me, i am in no mood to troll or mock, just asking/saying all this to know and learn about the gun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom