What's new

DRDO to develop anti-radiation missile

sudhir007

Reaction score
The Hindu : Today's Paper / MISCELLANEOUS : DRDO to develop anti-radiation missile

A new state-of-the art, anti-radiation missile that can target enemy radars and communication facilities is being developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

At present there is no such missile in India’s arsenal, while some advanced countries, including the US, Israel and Russia, have such a weapon, top DRDO sources told The Hindu here on Sunday. The government recently gave the go-ahead for the project, and the design work has already begun at one of the key DRDO laboratories here. Sources added that in any war scenario, radar and communication facilities of the enemy would be the first target.

The new air-to-surface 100-km range tactical missile picks up radiation or signals emitted by radars and communication systems, homes on to the target and destroys the network. The missile’s front-end comprises a sensor to pick up various radio frequencies. It will be a single-stage, liquid-propelled system, sources said.

The missile is expected to be ready in the next three to five years. After a series of developmental trials, it will be integrated with fighter aircraft, including Sukhoi and Light Combat Aircraft.

DRDO scientists have also started work on developing a 150-km range surface-to-air missile (SAM) as part of its plans to have SAMs of different ranges. The Akash missile, which has already been inducted into the Air Force and the Army, has an interception range of 25 km.

great news we will have our own stand-off missile. That will surely decrease our import & also will reduce IAF headache of different weapons on different plateform.

100 KM is nothing to write home about......

great news we will have our own stand-off missile. That will surely decrease our export & also will reduce IAF headache of different weapons on different plateform.

Decrease India's exports? Lol at newbee.....

And at 100 KM range, how is it a stand-off missile?

Decrease India's exports? Lol at newbee.....

And at 100 KM range, how is it a stand-off missile?

Stand-off missile are also anti radiation. By the range I am predicting that it will be serve as standoff missile. :oops:

I mean as IAF is procuring the different missiles for different fighter from different countries, this weapon could be launch from all plate-form after convincing the manufacture & even few already give us radar code.

great news we will have our own stand-off missile. That will surely decrease our export & also will reduce IAF headache of different weapons on different plateform.

You meant import right?

Stand-off missile are also anti radiation. By the range I am predicting that it will be serve as standoff missile. :oops:

I mean as IAF is procuring the different missiles for different fighter from different countries, this weapon could be launch from all plate-form after convincing the manufacture & even few already give us radar code.

Meaning of stand off weapons: A missile which may be launched at a distance sufficient to allow attacker to avoid defensive fire from that impact point.

And 100 KM range is hardly enough.

Fact is India built its tech base in the past decade using some JV's and India is now ready for indigenous development.

Great going India :yahoo:

i believe such projects shouldnt be leaked to media. If we are developing such missiles, it means, our adversaries too will start developing the same. In war scenario, both nations will end up destroying each other radar installations.

A good project nevertheless from DRDO :)

i believe such projects should be leaked to media. If we are developing such missiles, it means, our adversaries too will start developing the same. In war scenario, both nations will end up destroying each other radar installations.

Lot of countries has them, India used to get this type of missiles from Israel.

Meaning of stand off weapons: A missile which may be launched at a distance sufficient to allow attacker to avoid defensive fire from that impact point.

And 100 KM range is hardly enough.

100k is too good if missile is accurate, dont no why are you satisfied by that. :cheesy:

Perhaps you are one of them, who are paid by foreign companies to promote their weapon & try to find fault in DRDO systems.:lol:

But didnt the report said only USA Israel and Russia have them>

Anti radiation missiles are the must for todays ware fare, Before preemptive strikes of airforce these missiles are used to take down enemy radar network.

i believe such projects should be leaked to media. If we are developing such missiles, it means, our adversaries too will start developing the same. In war scenario, both nations will end up destroying each other radar installations.

I read the bold part as "should not be". Ever since Mr. saraswat taken over DRDO..... the first thing DRDO is go to media may be ever before getting a nod from GOI...... They get the pleasure when they publicize the secrets..........

Back
Top Bottom