What's new

DRDO SWIFT UCAV detailed design Model released, will eventually transform into DRDO Ghatak UCAV.

This is a joke right? This is like when the Iranians showed off their "stealth fighter". This is a scale mode, does not even seem to be stealth. Look at the size of the wheels relative to the body, they are massive. Not much room for internal fuel and weapons when they retract, if they even do retract.

u ask too much for indians

from india standard, this is fantastic already, look at their arjunk and lca

u ask too much for indians

from india standard, this is fantastic already, look at their arjunk and lca
This is a technology demonstrator named Swift. Aa of now this program is far away from its goal of fielding a 13 tonnes strike aircraft (expected to go into production in 2030). Atleast try to understand the context before commenting.

I simply meant I was not aware how far they already progressed with it.

Allegedly a Russian NPO Saturn 36MT turbofan engine.

Surprise for everyone involved. This video has been "accidentally" leaked in a public video, which has since taken down but not before screenshots have been taken by verified defence sources.
They later released it on twitter with MoD permission. Means, the taxi trials are already finished. And gearing up for first flight or already happened.

Anyway this is an TD. 1:7 version of the original UCAV. FCS, optical systems, auto capabilities will be tested. Most likely it won't go for production, unless the armed forces create an requirement for short range UAV from carriers etc.

IMO there's nothing surprising about this. Yes, the India had a lot of trouble with managing the Tejas, but a lot of their issues stemmed from indigenous R&D. It was a messier route, but they learned a lot. Like, a lot.

Now, India's about to reap the benefits of its built-up capacity and expertise. I expect more 'surprises' in the coming years -- IMO the TEDBF and ORCA will do fine provided the IAF doesn't engage in requirement creep.

Agree - and this is the journey that Pakistan is now starting on with Azm with trying to build indigenous home grown intellectual property rather than those under license or black-boxed. I wish Pakistan started that journey with a LIFT jet or a K8 replacement programme and not a 5.5 gen fighter .. so now it is time for Pakistan to experience the "same pain" of building a home grown aviation design capability that India has managed but with-out the depth of scientific base that India has with all her universities and more cash that India has.

Last edited:
Agree - and this is the journey that Pakistan is now starting on with Azm with trying to build indigenous home grown intellectual property rather than those under license or black-boxed. I wish Pakistan started that journey with a LIFT jet or a K8 replacement programme and not a 5.5 gen fighter .. so now it is time for Pakistan to experience the "same pain" of building a home grown aviation design capability that India has managed but with-out the depth of scientific base that India has with all her universities and more cash that India has.
tbh...I wish we had started the NGFA program back in 1999 (in parallel with the JF-17). So, on one hand, we have the JF-17 as-is, but on the other, we start the R&D process for the fighter after the JF-17. Imagine a consistent drip-feed of the R&D over 30 years. If we had done that, by the time we do announce AZM, we may have had the groundwork ready for our own flight control system and full-out capacity such as wind-tunnel testing, some critical input production (possibly even engine if we try collaborating with China on that front in 1999 when the risks were the highest) and so on.

@Cookie Monster ..read the thread
Exactly! Something tells me even then the forum will remain in denial and call everything they do substandard/copy etc.

IMO there's nothing surprising about this. Yes, the India had a lot of trouble with managing the Tejas, but a lot of their issues stemmed from indigenous R&D. It was a messier route, but they learned a lot. Like, a lot.

Now, India's about to reap the benefits of its built-up capacity and expertise. I expect more 'surprises' in the coming years -- IMO the TEDBF and ORCA will do fine provided the IAF doesn't engage in requirement creep.
I think most people are underestimating this program. Making a toy RC flying wing is quite easy - even a plank can fly on RC scale. Being able to design, build, and fly an actual scale (albeit still subscale of the actual) flying wing aircraft points to advanced ability in flight control systems.

I would be very afraid of the time 100s of these are being mass produced in India and fly over to do strikes in Pakistan. Their RCS is so much smaller merely due to the absence of vertical tails. If India's now burgeoning aerospace abilities combine with it's private enterprise that can bring a lot of money and cheap manpower, then we will be in for a lot of trouble: cheap, advanced, and numerous aerospace systems. We will be hard-pressed to defend against such a threat. We make fun of Indian aerospace progress at our (VERY EXPENSIVE) peril.

I think most people are underestimating this program. Making a toy RC flying wing is quite easy - even a plank can fly on RC scale. Being able to design, build, and fly an actual scale (albeit still subscale of the actual) flying wing aircraft points to advanced ability in flight control systems.

I would be very afraid of the time 100s of these are being mass produced in India and fly over to do strikes in Pakistan. Their RCS is so much smaller merely due to the absence of vertical tails. If India's now burgeoning aerospace abilities combine with it's private enterprise that can bring a lot of money and cheap manpower, then we will be in for a lot of trouble: cheap, advanced, and numerous aerospace systems. We will be hard-pressed to defend against such a threat. We make fun of Indian aerospace progress at our (VERY EXPENSIVE) peril.
Its our fortune that their military very rarely accept indigenous systems on time.so they will probably give us enough time to decide what should be done to counter it.
After success of Shahpar series and Azm Male UCAVs,we have clearly full capability to start such type of indeginous project(if its already not in progress).
Lets see who will first field these type of UCAVs (AWC or AvRID 🙃)

Smaller startups have also been given orders by the Indian military for UAVs. A couple of others are working with bigger players with their IP for the military.

While this forum has stopped being anything but for trolling nowadays, at-least for me, forumers seem to pay attention to only the DRDO and its failures. And of course, trolling the DRDO is fun. They do no understand a lot of the systems are being designed and brought online with the engineering institutes in India, like the IITs and IISc. Other universities are being encouraged to build microsats for launch.

The next step in this evolution will be the tie-up of the Indian private sector with our top colleges. That will be the real boost for our in-house capabilities. Indian students being exposed to foreign tech via Indian private sector.

Anyways, tata birla and all that. am off to troll on another thread before my next ban.

Last edited:

Fingers crossed all those aerospace people suddenly find super-amazing jobs in the US, Europe, Japan and Korea, and then totally forget about India.

Come together, children. Pray... Pray that the Babus win.

While this forum has stopped being anything but for trolling nowadays, at-least for me, forumers seem to pay attention to only the DRDO and its failures. And of course, trolling the DRDO is fun. They do no understand a lot of the systems are being designed and brought online with the engineering institutes in India, like the IITs and IISc. Other universities are being encouraged to build microsats for launch.
Don't worry there are still some Pakistanis that keep a close and objective eye on things ;) Underestimating India only hurts Pakistan's defense. The sooner the majority of the forumers realize this, the better. Of course overestimating yourself and underestimating your opponent is a nice way to stroke your ego and feel good and those feel-good stimulants are hard to wean off of.

If India does better in something, this should give us incentive to compete - not live in a fool's paradise.
Its our fortune that their military very rarely accept indigenous systems on time.so they will probably give us enough time to decide what should be done to counter it.
How long do you think our luck will last? Is luck a good defense strategy?

After success of Shahpar series and Azm Male UCAVs,we have clearly full capability to start such type of indeginous project(if its already not in progress).
Lets see who will first field these type of UCAVs (AWC or AvRID 🙃)
I've never doubted that we have the capability. I know the extent of our capability in quite detail, which is what I have to say is even more depressing for me. What we are lacking is sound policy, direction, smart resource allocation, and resources.

Don't worry there are still some Pakistanis that keep a close and objective eye on things ;) Underestimating India only hurts Pakistan's defense. The sooner the majority of the forumers realize this, the better. Of course overestimating yourself and underestimating your opponent is a nice way to stroke your ego and feel good and those feel-good stimulants are hard to wean off of.

If India does better in something, this should give us incentive to compete - not live in a fool's paradise.

How long do you think our luck will last? Is luck a good defense strategy?

I've never doubted that we have the capability. I know the extent of our capability in quite detail, which is what I have to say is even more depressing for me. What we are lacking is sound policy, direction, smart resource allocation, and resources.
I know buying rather than making our own is not the preferable route, but just out of curiosity, would the Chinese GJ-11 provide somewhat similar capability as this?

Back
Top Bottom